Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .gov loses lawsuit ref M855a1 bullet

.gov loses lawsuit ref M855a1 bullet

I think Doc mentioned this might be an issue;

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...t-theft-case-/

Meh. They will have spent more for Holder and hi cronies to play Ferguson vs the civilized world than they will dump out for this. And if not? Oh well. The Government spent 15 mil in the time it took me to type 15 mil. The person resonsible was probably promoted after the verdict.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Meh. They will have spent more for Holder and hi cronies to play Ferguson vs the civilized world than they will dump out for this. And if not? Oh well. The Government spent 15 mil in the time it took me to type 15 mil. The person resonsible was probably promoted after the verdict.
    I'm more concerned about the 1.7 cent per round royalty they get until 2027. How many rounds of M855-A1 does the army buy every year?

I'm more concerned with the fact that once again the .gov is stealing from people with the idea that they can do whatever they want anytime they feel like it, and that 15 million in taxpayer dollars is nothing to worry about. How much first class training could that have paid for?
    Last edited by Chuck Haggard; 01-15-2015 at 01:56 PM.

Site Supporter
    I just wish the whole M855A1 project would go the hell away. While it may be faster, more accurate, sexier, whatever, there is a huge problem: it's way overloaded from the pressure standpoint (like average pressures of 65K PSI) and it has and will make its way into lower tier guns that don't have NATO chambers. Those guns already have blown (DoS Bushmasters) and will continue to do so.

Words to the wise.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Stealing is stealing , it does not matter if the money was spent on a lawsuit or training. The taxpayers that pay the bills for everything in gov't are the ones being screwed. Not people in other parts of the gov't that did not get something else they wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I just wish the whole M855A1 project would go the hell away. While it may be faster, more accurate, sexier, whatever, there is a huge problem: it's way overloaded from the pressure standpoint (like average pressures of 65K PSI) and it has and will make its way into lower tier guns that don't have NATO chambers. Those guns already have blown (DoS Bushmasters) and will continue to do so.

Words to the wise.
    ^This^

It's like the guys that want a .380 to be a 9mm, so they go and buy overloaded rounds for their LCP like the Buffalo Bore. What they really need to do is go buy a 9mm, or deal with the fact that they are carrying a .380. Physics is a cruel bitch when reality hits.

This $15million is on top of the years of time and money wasted on this BS project. We could have stuck with green tip for the SAWs, went with mk318 for the carbines, and all would have been good with the world, and we wouldn't have wasted all of the time and millions, if not billions, of dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I'm more concerned with the fact that once again the .gov is stealing from people with the idea that they can do whatever they want anytime they feel like it, and that 15 million in taxpayer dollars is nothing to worry about. How much first class training could that have paid for?
    "First class training?" Why would they want to do that? Whose re-election would that benefit?

Seems to be two camps on m855a1. One reports amazing performance and around 10% barrel life loss along with the fact that the USMC is dumping mk318 for it. The other seems to hate m855 a1 and say all sorts of things about it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Seems to be two camps on m855a1. One reports amazing performance and around 10% barrel life loss along with the fact that the USMC is dumping mk318 for it. The other seems to hate m855 a1 and say all sorts of things about it.
    It's a huge boondoggle from the money standpoint and the fact they got caught stealing makes it really expensive.

It is flatter shooting and more accurate, but it is also way overpressure and that 10% premature wear figure is for barrels, not bolts, which are taking about a 25% service life hit. As for terminal effectiveness, the anecdotal information I've seen indicated it seemed more effective than M855. It still sucks on windshields. When you consider that M855 was NEVER intended to be fielded in M4/M16 systems (only in the M249 SAW) and the stupid money and time that's been spent, the idea of using M855 in the SAW and Mk. 318 in shoulder guns makes lots of sense. Unfortunately, making sense is the last thing most monolithic corporate/gov/mil entities wish to do.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

User Tag List