Thread: AAR: Tactical Response Fighting Pistol Mobile

AAR: Tactical Response Fighting Pistol Mobile

Fighting Pistol (Mobile) AAR

When: January 10-11, 2015

Where: American Police Hall of Fame- Titusville, FL

Indoor range with excellent ventilation, lighting and programmable targets. I was local and had plenty of experience target shooting there.

Instructors: Jay Gibson, Tim Morris, Calvin Lim (Special Guests-Ben “Mookie” Thomas and Family)

It was really interesting to meet the men I’d seen on so many YouTube videos. All three were professional, courteous, and knowledgable. They inspired my trust, confidence in their abilities, and were excellent teachers. I’ve had vast experience teaching others, and I am certain that they could perform well teaching almost any subject matter. They all took turns with lecture and instruction and, while there were different (very enjoyable) personalities, never once did I feel like the substantive task at hand would have been administered differently from one to the next. They are all three very funny motherfuckers and the humor really helped get through some complex and/or difficult subjects. They are all good men, and I would have them in my home without reservation.

Who is this class for?

This class is for YOU. If you can safely handle a pistol (4 rules), shoot a pistol (Pull the trigger), and follow instructions (They will be simple and clear), you will get something from this class. We had a wide variety of ages and ability levels, from very low (*very* low) to somewhat advanced (and a few that had taken the class before), and all 3 instructors helped the lower levels while making sure the more advanced shooters weren’t bored.

While waiting outside for an exercise, an older (maybe late 60’s) lady who was using the public side of the range (bay 1) asked what it took to take the class. I had no reservations recommending the class to her with the full knowledge that she’d come out of it better able to defend herself with a pistol.

About me

I’m 40 years old, and a GM/Executive Chef for a great foodservice management company- Metz Culinary Management. I had scoliosis as a child, resulting in a severe “hunchback” that took 7 fused vertebrae and 3 metal rods to stabilize. I have a repaired ACL in my left knee, type II diabeetus, high blood pressure, and am still addicted to cigarettes.I had no issues with any part of the class. What’s your excuse?

I was raised in a very liberal, anti-gun, pacifist home and came to enjoy firearms about 5 years ago. Owning firearms, and the personal responsibility it entails, changed my ideology dramatically on a number of issues. As most of my friends have never been “gun people”, I haven’t had any mentors and learned (or thought I did) by watching videos and reading. I quickly understood what I’ve been told so many times: THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR REAL TRAINING.

Mindset

Mindset is the thread that runs through the entire class. It is evident from the first word to the last, from the first drill to the last. This is not a shooting class, although they will help you shoot better. This class is about fighting for your life and/or the lives of others. “You are the weapon, the gun is a tool”-you will hear it often and believe it firmly by the end of the second day.

With the 4 rules of firearm safety in practice (If you don’t know these rules, you are “Wronger than dick cancer”), Martial Gun Handling will be observed at all times. You will not perform any action in a fashion that you wouldn’t in a gunfight. No administrative bullshit. You will see quickly how administrative action on the range translates to administrative action in a real fight, and why you don’t do that if you want to live.

Accuracy. When we first started drills, I was shooting fast and missing. The moment I took the instructors’ words to heart-”You can’t miss fast enough to win a fight”, I slowed down and immediately got better.

The day-two lecture was profound on many levels. The 3 fights (Gun, Legal, Emotional) were discussed in depth. You must have all three to fully “win”. The PTSD part was especially interesting. As Jay recounted the after-effects of stress and adrenaline, you could tell that he had first-hand knowledge of them.

Tactics

I’m not going to rehash every drill. I’m not going to try and re-teach the class here. Read the course description on tacticalresponse.com. You will learn all they say you will. Here are some generalities and what hit the hardest for me:

The big one for me was “FAST”- Fight Assess Scan Top-off. I won’t lie, it wasn’t easy to remember after every drill. If I thought it was hard to remember in class, it will be exponentially harder in a real fight. I’ll be practicing the shit out of that one.

MOVE! It’s so easy to get vapor-lock when your gun goes “click” or runs dry. If you aren’t moving in a real gunfight, you will be a bullet sponge. Always be moving.

Shooting & Moving. I can’t think of anyone who teaches this in a level one class. It is fun, but serious and humbling. It will translate well to life, where “The object of winning isn’t shooting the bad guy-it’s you *not* getting shot”. I learned what cover is, how to get to it, and how to shoot from it.

Skills

I gained a tremendous amount of skills over 2 days, but this wasn’t a “skills builder”. They are there to teach you what and how to practice. Skills come from that practice. I have plenty of tactics to practice, though, and I’m looking forward to it. Their dry-practice sheet is simple, safe and can be done effectively to replicate drills that you may not be able to do on a public range. You will get out of this class what you practice later.

Gear

Read the list, watch the videos, bring what it tells you to. I did and had everything I needed. It’s really that simple. I did, however, learn the limitations of my holsters and mag pouches. There’s a good chance you’ll adjust your gear after day one. I did. There were a few others who had sights drift and/or completely fall off. They still finished the class.

“Train like you’ll fight”! I showed up like I would dress and carry every Saturday. I learned the error of clearing a garment with only one hand. I learned that my holster sucks (hybrid iwb). There were many students wearing competition set-ups, wearing “open-carry” style with their shirts tucked in. Looking back, I hope they never get into a fight and reach for something that isn’t where it was in class or not there at all. That could be deadly.

In the video “Preparing to train”, James says “Don’t buy anything just for the class”. I didn’t buy anything “just” for the class, but it did expedite the purchase of things I should have had anyway. I bought a gun belt, electronic ear pro and mag pouches and I’m glad I did. The “Aker Carry Belt” (amazon.com) was awesome and I never knew what a difference it makes. I used Howard Light “Impact-Sport” ear-pro and saw many others with the same. Keep spare AAAs for it. Mine ran out at one point.

You will chuckle at the instructors using $10 Glock OWB holsters, until you realize that they can try or buy whatever they want….and they choose them.

Conclusion

I had high expectations for myself and the class. The class FAR exceeded those expectations, and I know I have a lot left to practice. I’d take the same class again tomorrow if I could. I will take it again, of that I’m sure..

Chefjon, thanks for the AAR. Just out of curiosity, was this your first formal firearms training class?

The CWL class I took 3 years ago was 8 hours and included draw-stroke, shooting from retention, supine, and some other drills. It was good for my local area, but I do consider Fighting Pistol to be my first "real" class, yes. I probably should have added that in the "me" section. Thanks!

Thanks for the AAR. Did you know Yeager wouldn't be there when you signed up? What $10 holsters were the instructors using?

From my Motorola StarTAC.

Let's keep this AAR on topic, gentle reminder.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Thanks for the AAR. Did you know Yeager wouldn't be there when you signed up? What $10 holsters were the instructors using?

Not chefjon but he is most likely referencing the Glock factory "Sport/Combat" holster.

For $14 they are actually a decent EDC holster.

https://store.teamglock.com/sport-co...utmk=260782532

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post

I didn't know who the instructors would be until I showed up. Years ago, Yeager said in a video that he didn't post the names ahead of time because it didn't matter who was teaching. I believe that to be true. The curriculum is his (theirs), but everyone follows it faithfully. What I was taught lined-up exactly with what was in the book they give you.

As for the holsters? Glock brand Combat Holsters. All three wore them under un-tucked polo shirts. Concealment looked good and they demo'd every drill with them.

Have you thought about what your next class will be?
    I had the same revelation about my hybrid IWB holster at MAG40. Mine was a Crossbreed, but I think its weakness in reholstering is a general problem for the type.

A note: if you're testing your ability to do the exercises at Gun school with IWB/concealment, it makes sense to insist on "keeping it real." But if you're there to learn what to practice, I personally don't think people who show up with comfortable OWB holsters are doing any worse than someone who shows up to Jiu Jitsu class with a gi or shorts instead of a suit or a dress. You can learn the drills and their purposes with an OWB holster that makes live fire safer and less fatiguing, then go home and practice with your edc gear.

Having said that, I plan to do some live fire classes in Memphis next month, and to simplify things I'll likely run my daily IWB tuckable. But I have a couple of OWB gamer wannabes I'll probably have in my bag . . . just in case.

"Your hands than mine are quicker for a fray.
    My legs are longer though, to run away."
    --Helena of Athens

Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn View Post
    A note: if you're testing your ability to do the exercises at Gun school with IWB/concealment, it makes sense to insist on "keeping it real." But if you're there to learn what to practice, I personally don't think people who show up with comfortable OWB holsters are doing any worse than someone who shows up to Jiu Jitsu class with a gi or shorts instead of a suit or a dress. You can learn the drills and their purposes with an OWB holster that makes live fire safer and less fatiguing, then go home and practice with your edc gear.
    I agree, and great analogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn View Post
    Have you thought about what your next class will be?
    I had the same revelation about my hybrid IWB holster at MAG40. Mine was a Crossbreed, but I think its weakness in reholstering is a general problem for the type.

Having said that, I plan to do some live fire classes in Memphis next month, and to simplify things I'll likely run my daily IWB tuckable. But I have a couple of OWB gamer wannabes I'll probably have in my bag . . . just in case.
    My next class will be whatever comes soonest that I can get to and afford. I've committed this year to training as much as possible. Rob Pincus just moved an hour and a half north of me, and CFS/CFC might be what I can do next. My job will keep me close to home until I have my crew dialed-in. I'm also trying to find a spot locally that will let me host. Medical is HIGH on my list and would trump anything else in a similar timeframe. I'd love to do Immediate Action Medical from Tactical Response, but as long as it's reputable and stress-training, I'm down. I'd *love* to add Armed Dynamics, Sage Dynamics & whatever Alias guys come to FL.

The issue I had with the holster was the metal clips kept bending and the holster would come with the gun. I turned them into field-expedient J hooks, but the weight was on the waistband and not the belt, so it sagged. I finally re-bent them over the belt, wrapped underneath and this works best but isn't a permanent solution. I'm going to get my holster guy to fashion me some kydex that approximates this. I need the tuck feature, as I work in business casual 2 days a week. I'll update when I find the solution.

I'm going to keep running classes like I run daily. I learned a lot clearing a garment that I wouldn't have without it. I wish I could have run tucked, but that would have slowed the class down I'm sure. (Time out! Lemme tuck all my shit back in! lol) I almost went to day 2 of Fighting Pistol in my chef's uniform! I'm in it a considerable portion of my time, so wth? I also want to run my M&P Shield 9 next, as I carry it too. Having enough mags is a pain, though-especially at +/-$30 each!

User Tag List