Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for training in Middle TN area

Chip

I appreciate the post and will definitely try to come to the range, unfortunately I am about 2.5 hours from Dickson (Tullahoma) so it's a little bit of a drive, although the range does look fantastic.
    Randy P.

About Me

Quote Originally Posted by randypollock View Post
    Chip

I appreciate the post and will definitely try to come to the range, unfortunately I am about 2.5 hours from Dickson (Tullahoma) so it's a little bit of a drive, although the range does look fantastic.
    Randy,

Yeah, 2.5hrs is a hike, maybe try to come out to any that look worth the time and effort... These guys look a little closer to you actually: http://www.midtnshooters.com/ or even these guys: http://rocketcityshooters.com/idpa.htm - either way hope you find a club close enough to hit a match or two, it's really a lot of fun and you learn a lot.

- Chip

Rocket City is new to me, I'll check it out as well.

Of course Mid TN is right in my back yard..but my one trip to the range wasn't the best experience as I was stared at for about 30 minutes until I just left as I guess everyone was too busy for a newcomer (there was no matches going on just practice).

I need to try again, but you know I really don't want to shoot with people who are either to "busy" for a new guy or who don't recognize you as a good old boy so your not worth talking too.
    Randy P.

About Me

Quote Originally Posted by randypollock View Post
    Rocket City is new to me, I'll check it out as well.

Of course Mid TN is right in my back yard..but my one trip to the range wasn't the best experience as I was stared at for about 30 minutes until I just left as I guess everyone was too busy for a newcomer (there was no matches going on just practice).

I need to try again, but you know I really don't want to shoot with people who are either to "busy" for a new guy or who don't recognize you as a good old boy so your not worth talking too.
    I think I know what you mean, seems the shooting community could use a few more guys who don't find general friendliness so difficult...

My guess is you just came across some guys who were just not very outgoing and maybe weary of a new face, I had a similar experience when I first went out to matches (doesn't help that I'm originally from NYC and a total "Yankee" in some "good ol' boys" eyes!)... I'd say just introduce yourself as being new to the range and/matches and you'll find "nice guys" come out of the woodwork pretty fast, new shooters are always welcome, you're just dealing with a bunch of grumpy, jaded strangers until the initial ice gets broken.

I had a hard time.

1 1/2 years ago I was in Nashville area for a week, I only found one match shooting near there it was in Huntsville Al. There seemed to be some fighting going on between the USPSA and The IDPA guys. Unfortunate, I didn't get to shoot at a match while there.
    I travel all over and usually can find a match through the USPSA web sight.
    Match shooting is a great way to practice for real world conflict IMHO because it teaches you gun handeling and lots of repitition in different aspects of shooting.

User Tag List