Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ruger LCR crapped the bed

Update

So the original "shipment" notification i got from Ruger a while back was not for my pistol, but for the soft case I shipped my pistol in. I guess they felt the need to fed-ex it back to me because they couldn't trust themselves to keep track of it. Anyway, I called them back this morning to check the status, and apparently they tried to call me a week ago, but I never got any message. So, now I'm getting a new pistol. The customer service rep didn't have any details so I just said go ahead and send it. Apparently more was going on than just the loose firing pin bushing.

Quote Originally Posted by vaglocker View Post
    So the original "shipment" notification i got from Ruger a while back was not for my pistol, but for the soft case I shipped my pistol in. I guess they felt the need to fed-ex it back to me because they couldn't trust themselves to keep track of it. Anyway, I called them back this morning to check the status, and apparently they tried to call me a week ago, but I never got any message. So, now I'm getting a new pistol. The customer service rep didn't have any details so I just said go ahead and send it. Apparently more was going on than just the loose firing pin bushing.
    It's quite possible that they shipped you a new pistol just because of the SNAFU.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    mine (although a 357 version) has been good for around a thousand 38. Sorry to hear of your issue but its the first time I have heard of this issue. I mirror Bigghoss with the expectation that ruger will make it right and you shouldn't run into any issues after that.
    I wanted to update this as someone pointed it out and my post is kind of misleading. I think I was trying to prove my point and I want to apologize for that. I have seen 1000 rounds go through a standard 38 lcr without much issue (trigger was short stroked by my friend and I), my 357 lcr has held up like a champ to the +/- 500 rounds of 38 I have put through it(besides user error like short stroking). Hope this information helps.

Almost forgot about this thread. Update to add the new pistol they sent failed as well after about 300 rounds. Cylinder locked up (unloaded). Crane latch release wouldn't move. Had to send gun #2 back to Ruger. They got it back to me pretty fast this time, but color me skeptical on these revolvers for now.

Quote Originally Posted by vaglocker View Post
    ...color me skeptical on these revolvers for now.

Yes. On my sample of one (purchased for my mother- she liked its "feel" the best out of numerous ones she tried), I put 100 rounds of mixed wadcutters and 130gr ball through it, and after that it was loose as a goose; I mean seriously loose, as in cylinder endshake, radial play, play in the yoke-to-frame fit, etc. But it seemed to still work fine, so I just chalked all of that up to the polymer/aluminum mix. The gun hasn't been shot since, and likely won't be until she passes.

As an old S&W revolver guy, I was monumentally unimpressed with it, period. However, I am astute enough to recognize that there is a bit of snobbery involved there, and Ruger guns are generally solid performers... if not the pinnacle of aesthetics.

Sorry you're having issues; and don't take this the wrong way, but it helps me to more fully appreciate my old S&W revolvers.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Yes. On my sample of one (purchased for my mother- she liked its "feel" the best out of numerous ones she tried), I put 100 rounds of mixed wadcutters and 130gr ball through it, and after that it was loose as a goose; I mean seriously loose, as in cylinder endshake, radial play, play in the yoke-to-frame fit, etc. But it seemed to still work fine, so I just chalked all of that up to the polymer/aluminum mix. The gun hasn't been shot since, and likely won't be until she passes.

As an old S&W revolver guy, I was monumentally unimpressed with it, period. However, I am astute enough to recognize that there is a bit of snobbery involved there, and Ruger guns are generally solid performers... if not the pinnacle of aesthetics.

Sorry you're having issues; and don't take this the wrong way, but it helps me to more fully appreciate my old S&W revolvers.

I have close to 500 rounds of mixed +P and standard pressure through mine with none of the issues you describe. Interestingly enough, my all steel, 3" model 36 will choke on +P ammo.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

There's a hex head set screw in the bottom side of the cylinder release button that you must back out, add blue Locktite to and then screw back in snugly.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List