Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Managing" An Anti-Gun Spouse.

D.I.V.O.R.C.E!

My wife was pretty anti gun when we first started dating. Took her to the range and things changed. We compromised in that I had to get a solid safe for my guns. After a while she pretty much lets me do as I want with guns and I don't give her shit about things she wants. So long as we are in budget neither of us gives the other any shit. If it's a higher value purchase $200 or over we talk first and check the budget. Basically we respect each other's needs and do the best to accommodate them.

Your friends will either get divorced, cower to their wives demands till it festers then get divorced, ignore their wives till it festers then get divorced or both parties can grow to learn how to have their cake and eat it too.

I've never understood why men get involved with women who possess major philosophical differences. I can understand the initial attraction, but a lifetime commitment with someone who's views are diametrically opposed to your own? T&A only goes so far and eventually falls like leaves in autumn, then what's left?. I've been married for thirty one years and don't see that changing any time soon. I don't let my wife do anything any more then she lets me, we're our own people not the others mouthpiece. If we'd had radically different beliefs we never would have gotten together in the first place, or at least stayed together.

Tell your friends to turn in their man cards along with their guns. You also need to provide them with directions to the sex change capital of the world: Trinidad, Colorado. If they're going to act like pussies they might as well have one.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Your friends need to spend some time trying to be better people.

From both a moral and philosophical perspective, divorce at the very least should be avoided at almost all costs. Getting divorced over something as stupid as guns would be a huge life failing. If your friends were so /impossibly/ stupid as to get all the way through the process of getting married without figuring out where the lines in the sand were, they probably do need some supervision making adult life choices, and having guns may not be a great idea anyway. If they're patient, and stumble over a crumb of maturity in the process of trying to be better people, they may find that their spouses' attitudes towards guns softens. Until then, they should take it as a cross and buck up.

Tell your friend to move on. It will never get better, only worse.

Then trade him canned goods for his guns.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Your friends need to spend some time trying to be better people.

From both a moral and philosophical perspective, divorce at the very least should be avoided at almost all costs. Getting divorced over something as stupid as guns would be a huge life failing. If your friends were so /impossibly/ stupid as to get all the way through the process of getting married without figuring out where the lines in the sand were, they probably do need some supervision making adult life choices, and having guns may not be a great idea anyway. If they're patient, and stumble over a crumb of maturity in the process of trying to be better people, they may find that their spouses' attitudes towards guns softens. Until then, they should take it as a cross and buck up.
    I agree on general principle-however an ex of mine pulled a chameleon move where she hid her controlling nature until two months into the relationship.After it became clear being a jealous mess was her default state I cut her loose, but initially she acted like a decent human being and fooled me . Someone who kept the act up all the way through the wedding can put the guy in a pickle.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

The best thing you can do is lay down the law and say "this is how it is". Either she'll leave or - much more likely - she'll respect you for having a set of balls.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    I agree on general principle-however an ex of mine pulled a chameleon move where she hid her controlling nature until two months into the relationship.After it became clear being a jealous mess was her default state I cut her loose, but initially she acted like a decent human being and fooled me . Someone who kept the act up all the way through the wedding can put the guy in a pickle.
    People can change after years, and people /normally/ conceal their true negative feelings until commitment is obtained. That's the way we're wired. A good amount of premarital counseling and education can turn a lot of that stuff out. If your friends didn't bother with that, though, and didn't bother (unlike you) to wait for the other person to more informally express their true feelings, they get what they got. The best thing they can do is work through it and like I said take it as a cross.

Within that, though, there's a lot of sense in what Jay said. Both spouses control the house, I dig it. My car is my car. My storage unit is my storage unit. My pants are my pants. You have issues with what's in there, don't go there.
    Last edited by JAD; 01-12-2015 at 03:52 PM.

That's pretty much what I did, Jay.
    I've learned with my wife, "new" things to her require the rip-off-the-Band-Aid approach; sitting down and discussing winds up with nothing but her hating the idea, whatever it is. Better to just do it, have her be pissed off for a couple days, then have things get back to normal once she realizes the universe hasn't ACTUALLY changed any. (My home carrying was/is a perfect example of that.)

Obviously your mileage may vary with your significant other; void where prohibited in all 50 states; no warranties expressed or implied; some assembly might be required; batteries are definitely not included; you may experience some temporary discomfort.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Funny thread. If my wife didn't like guns then we would not have been married. Yes, it was that important to me.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List