Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In Response to BaiHu.....

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Sure, but that isn't your original statement. You said their lives don't matter. They do -- every life matters -- but if an unjust person's life gets taken in the process of stopping their deadly action, it's tolerated. Not accepted -- it's still a calamity -- but it's better than that the just be harmed. The lesser of two evils is still evil.
    It is not evil that an attacker gets killed. It is a result of protecting from an deadly force attack.
    It is just and moral to defend the innocent.
    It would be better to not be attacked and have to defend oneself, or others, but this is the direct result of the attackers choice to attack.

Sure, but that isn't your original statement. You said their lives don't matter.
    My second statement is an amplification, not a modification, of the first.

I will say it again in case it isn't perfectly clear: the lives of some people (those who use violence on others without moral justification) do not matter. Not to me, anyway.

Site Supporter
    The lesser of two evils is still evil.
    There are a lot of blanket statements in this thread.

I find nothing evil about killing in self defense, so I don't consider it the "lesser of two evils". If a person makes the choice to commit an act of criminal aggression and the response consists of justifiable lethal force then the attacker's life and death are not relevant in relation to the response.

The deceased attacker's life and death do matter, perhaps to many people. But not to the person acting in self defense, at that specific moment. The survivor's emotional response during the aftermath is a different issue. At least that's how I see it.

My "Does Centivos":

The nature of civilized society is what separates us from dogs and sharks.To participate in civilized society, one must agree to abide by the rules. While we can quibble about the little ones like littering ordinances and parking regs, the Big Ones are fairly easy to follow.

Don't steal.
    Don't rape.
    Don't murder.

People who violate those rules are not civilized people, but a hazard to society on the same level as a rabid dog or a tornado. They are the bad branches on the tree of society, and should be pruned with extreme prejudice .

Regret and remorse only fit if the act is wrong-and what gardener feels remorse for the pruned branch?
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    My second statement is an amplification, not a modification, of the first.

I will say it again in case it isn't perfectly clear: the lives of some people (those who use violence on others without moral justification) do not matter. Not to me, anyway.
    Do not matter, or do not matter as much?

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Do not matter, or do not matter as much?
    Not at all.

Like GvT said, people like that are not fit to be in civilized society and are no different than rabid dogs

And you know what we do to rabid dogs........

User Tag List