Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The BEST bang-for-the-buck 45 ACP ever?? I think so. (WARNING - PIC HEAVY)

The BEST bang-for-the-buck 45 ACP ever?? I think so. (WARNING - PIC HEAVY)

Just purchased a Turkish Sarsilmaz K2 (CZ clone) 45 ACP pistol from Buds Gun Shop for $398. For that small price, I got an ALL-STEEL, SA/DA, HIGH CAP (14+1 round), 45 ACP...and I can say with NO hesitation that it is the finest sub-$400 pistol I have ever had the pleasure to shoot!!

The fit and finish on this thing is good...I mean REALLY GOOD (any imperfections you see in the photos are most likely oil and fingerprints from my hands...the finish was truly superb). Coloration was even (blue-black) with no dark spots, and no visible machine marks anywhere on the exterior. In my hands, it feels every bit as nice as my "Made in Italy" Beretta 92FS.

Then again, Sarsilmaz is licensed by CZ to copy their weapon, so its no doubt the standards are a bit higher than other CZ-clones (Sarsilmaz also made the ArmaLite AR-24 CZ75 clone).

OK, I'll admit the plastic grip panels feel a bit cheap, but they kept the weapon planted firmly in my hands (as did the front strap serrations)...and again, for the price point, its really hard to complain.

Both the slide-to-frame fit and barrel-to-frame fit had excellent tolerances, with no play or rattle (clean rails, NO grease)...as good as any sub-$1000 1911 I've seen.

Lockup was solid, slide action was smooth and the trigger was crisp with minimal take-up and overtravel, and nice audible reset. I did not measure trigger pull, but Sarsilmaz states 9lbs in DA (and I'm going to guess about 4.5lbs in SA). There was no grit whatsoever. Safety switch was nice and firm, I would have no reservations about carrying this cocked-n-locked (IF, that is, I ever decide I need 15-rounds of 45 ACP on my hip).

The barrel and guide rod are hard chromed, which makes cleaning a bit easier...

and the barrels are fitted to the gun and serialized.

The rear sight is adjustable for both windage and elevation...

The double-stack, 14-round magazines are manufactured by MEC-GAR, and operate flawlessly...

And seat flush in the frame...

Here is the K2 side-by-side with my Sig P220 (my only other non-1911 45)...

The pistols are very similar (aside from night sights and decocker on P220), when holding them next to each other it was hard to believe I paid more than twice the price (of the K2) for the P220...not that I'm complaining, I love my Sig Sauer. But what truly surprised me was, even though the K2 holds six more rounds than the P220, its girth (grip) is only 1/8" larger in circumference...

K2 (at widest point) = 6.25"

P220 (at widest point) = 6.125"

SAR K2

SIG P220

My hands are small (7.5" from tip of middle finger to wrist), and you can see that I get a better grip on the P220...but its not a HUGE difference, and I really like the extended beaver tail on the K2.

Performance wise, recoil was much softer with the heavier K2 (as to be expected), and the K2 was every bit as accurate (in my hands) as the P220. Now granted, I'm no IPSC National Champion...but I'm no Parkinson's patient either. I feel my marksmanship is an accurate representation of an average EXPERIENCED shooter, and the K2 performed magnificently!!

Sorry I meant to include photographs of my groupings with each weapon, but accidently left the targets at the range. However, anyone in the DFW area who is willing to meet me at my gun club, you're welcome to shoot the K2. Better yet, buy one for yourself...you WONT be disappointed!!

Thanks for letting me share.

Some words to offer here.

One, Sarsilmaz never had a license from CZ. That company partnered with Tanfoglio , but the partnership fell through . Sarsilmaz now makes clones of Tanfoglios, though the K2 differs in using a Sig type lockup instead of the Tanfoglio design.

While they can build a gun decently, Sarsilmaz is imported through EAA, which means you're totally on your own for parts and service. Need a new safety? Don't count on it fitting. Need a new hammer? You may or may not get what your ordered . Need anything more in depth then a magazine? You're basically hosed. Owning their imports is like driving a grey market Japanese R34 Skyline- there is no 'going to the dealer' for service.

Now I'm not trying to knock your buying choice. But I ran 1000 rounds through two Tanfoglio 10mm pistols before being fed up with EAAs non-service. Glocks and HKs dont break stuff often, but at least those companies you can order parts to rectify matters if they do .
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

There is just no way someone would be better served with this, than by buying a used G19 or new/used M&P .45. If you like it, great, but I would never recommend this to anyone. Questionable quality, no holsters, no sights, no parts. No thanks.
    Last edited by WDW; 01-10-2015 at 09:43 AM.

I don't know the OP, but I took his post differently then the previous posters. They are correct, but I don't think the OP intended to say we should abandon our proven weapons. Just that he bought a sub $400 gun on a bit of a whim, and was pleasantly surprised with how well it was put together. I've been wrong before though...

It is awfully tough to by an inexpensive weapon and have it be pretty nice. Something has to give somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    It is awfully tough to by an inexpensive weapon and have it be pretty nice. Something has to give somewhere.
    Indeed… and in the case of some eastern European products, its durability.

On the one hand, I can understand joy at a low price. On the other hand, we're not talking about a blender. Personally, I think Sam Walton did more to mess up the head of the average American consumer than any other factor. We are obsessed with the lowest possible price; and who cares about quality? As long as it is "good enough"; but of course, good enough rarely is.

I see this same phenomena in my radio-controlled model aircraft hobby; who cares how good it is, all I want to know is will it work, and who sells it the cheapest??? That, and standing in line like a dumb-ass for the next iteration of the iPhone or designer felony flyers, seems to be our new favorite activities.

OP, I hope you aren't feeling too slammed about these replies… but you did basically come onto a Formula One forum promoting a Yugo…

I think it's actually pretty easy to get quality at a very low price. Used Glocks are available at sub $400 prices all day long along with a host of other high quality guns. Anytime something is promoted as "built on the same machinery or under license or partnership of", I automatically quit listening & forget I ever saw it. That's just asking to be disappointed in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW View Post
    I think it's actually pretty easy to get quality at a very low price. Used Glocks are available at sub $400 prices all day long along with a host of other high quality guns. Anytime something is promoted as "built on the same machinery or under license or partnership of", I automatically quit listening & forget I ever saw it. That's just asking to be disappointed in the long run.
    Indeed. I bought a used Gen 2, G19 for less than $400 a year or two ago. I cleaned it, removed the heavy oil someone thought belonged in the striker channel, put in new springs and it has gone the better part of 10,000 rounds without an issue. The Sarsilmaz looks nice, but personally I am through buying guns for which you can't easily get spare parts.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Agreed. If the gun was a polymer frame at that price, it would be easier for me to say it might not have as many corners cut in manufacturing, but being all steel at that price, something's got to give for sure. I work at a steel and aluminum machining and fab shop, and with the price of steel and the cost of machine time and labor the $398 price tag doesn't inspire confidence in the build quality.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW View Post
    I think it's actually pretty easy to get quality at a very low price. Used Glocks are available at sub $400 prices all day long...
    Yes, but I took this to be a discussion of NIB pistols. Buying used changes the game tremendously.

User Tag List