Thread: 9mm JHPs out of a 7 3/4" barrel

9mm JHPs out of a 7 3/4" barrel

I'm considering putting some money down on a CZ Scorpion Evo to suppress and use as a fun (and maybe even a HD gun). It has a 7 3/4" barrel and I was curious about its use with JHPs as I read in another thread that they may not perform well out of such a long barrel.

Would the extra velocity created by the extra barrel length effect expansion/performance? How would some of the 115gr or 124gr +p loads from the list perform at the higher velocities? Would the 147gr loads be less effected? Could the extra velocity be enough to cause any of the jackets to come apart prematurely and damage the suppressor? Links to any concrete testing a plus.

I want one of these so bad. Get the stamp and get the actual stock that goes on it. Would be so damn sexy.

My gut instinct would be to go with a bonded 147gr load to minimize the possibility/effects of pushing the projectile beyond it's intended velocity.
    One of the biggest and most common mistakes gun owners make is assuming that they are done learning how to shoot.

The jacket coming off the core is not an in the gun problem, that's an issue that is seen after the target is hit and the bullet over-expands.

With most bonded ammo you should be GTG really, you aren't picking up hundreds of FPS with the 9mm and a 7-8" barrel.

User Tag List