Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Speer Gold Dot G2: Too Soon To Buy In?

This is a lot of hand wringing over nothing. There is no shortage of GTG options in 9mm. That the latest/greatest isn't where it needs to be yet seems to be so much "meh."
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    This is a lot of hand wringing over nothing. There is no shortage of GTG options in 9mm. That the latest/greatest isn't where it needs to be yet seems to be so much "meh."
    Very True but it was fun while it lasted.
    Most of my knowledge base is "previously owned".

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    As noted earlier, HST had this same problem when first introduced, and now it is one of the best loads available. Be patient.
    And patience is easy here, given the already existing, high-quality, (and much lower cost) alternatives. That being said, I'm hoping that after they rework the bullet they check it not only with the FBI protocols but do the 4 layers of denim test as well. You and Chuck have convinced me that that the evidence shows that is a very good predictor of what will happen in the real world.

Current loads are working so well that I really see no need to immediately jump on this load or any other, before it's had some real world exposure time in the field. At this point I think any improvement we see in current technology is going to be rather minor. I really think we've reached a point of diminishing returns in ammunition design and performance. We should avoid being susceptible to the newest flavor of the month before it's proven to be tasty.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I shot two rounds of G2 through 4 layers of denim today. Both expanded well and stopped in the fourth water jug. They looked basically like the two I shot into water jugs without denim and there was no plugging in either round. I will try to get someone to send Chuck the pictures and maybe he can post all four pictures of G2 together.

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    I shot two rounds of G2 through 4 layers of denim today. Both expanded well and stopped in the fourth water jug. They looked basically like the two I shot into water jugs without denim and there was no plugging in either round. I will try to get someone to send Chuck the pictures and maybe he can post all four pictures of G2 together.
    What lot #? Mine is M10V22.

M10V21

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Current loads are working so well that I really see no need to immediately jump on this load or any other, before it's had some real world exposure time in the field. At this point I think any improvement we see in current technology is going to be rather minor. I really think we've reached a point of diminishing returns in ammunition design and performance. We should avoid being susceptible to the newest flavor of the month before it's proven to be tasty.
    ^This^

When I heard about the G2 I was interested, but it wasn't like back in the day when I first started hearing about bullets that actually worked most of the time, instead of bullets we had that really didn't.

After years of observation, I am firmly in the boat of wanting the most reliable possible ammo, and worrying far less about wound ballistics.

If Baby Odin/Jesus/Crom/Buddha stepped out a burning bush and handed me a Walther PPK in .32acp and said "Carry this my son, it will never have a stoppage, I have blessed this gun", I'd carry that gun EDC, crappy wound ballistics, crappy trigger, crappy sights, and bites my hand when I shoot it be damned.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    If Baby Odin/Jesus/Crom/Buddha stepped out a burning bush...
    Look, I'm not saying anything about those other guys, but Crom wouldn't step out of a burning bush, he lives in the Earth.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    ^This^

When I heard about the G2 I was interested, but it wasn't like back in the day when I first started hearing about bullets that actually worked most of the time, instead of bullets we had that really didn't.

After years of observation, I am firmly in the boat of wanting the most reliable possible ammo, and worrying far less about wound ballistics.

If Baby Odin/Jesus/Crom/Buddha stepped out a burning bush and handed me a Walther PPK in .32acp and said "Carry this my son, it will never have a stoppage, I have blessed this gun", I'd carry that gun EDC, crappy wound ballistics, crappy trigger, crappy sights, and bites my hand when I shoot it be damned.
    Jesus would give you a 4" Model 10 Heavy Barrel with FBI loads....just sayin.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

User Tag List