Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Speer Gold Dot G2: Too Soon To Buy In?

Speer Gold Dot G2: Too Soon To Buy In?

I am searching for some available 9mm ammunition as I am going to mostly all 9mm pistols for ease of ammo and etc. I came across the Speer Gold Dot G2s on this site and have read through the post. Question: Is it too soon to buy into these rounds? As one member had tested a bad batch with poor results.

I have Winchester 127 +p+ coming but would like something that allows fast recovery also, preferably Bonded ammo. Down to 50 of 124gr +p HST ( Unobtainiums ). I like the idea of 400 ft/lbs rounds, but I acknowledge pistols merely put holes into bodies. I do armed security aslo.
    Last edited by GoldnBullet; 01-07-2015 at 09:33 PM.

From DocGKR in this thread-
    http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...f-Defense-Ammo
    The keys are:

-- Cultivate a warrior mindset
    -- Invest in competent, thorough initial training and then maintain skills with regular ongoing practice
    -- Acquire a reliable and durable weapon system
    -- Purchase a consistent, robust performing duty/self-defense load in sufficient quantities (at least 1000 rounds) then STOP worrying about the nuances of handgun ammunition terminal performance.

Please note that ammo choice is at the bottom of the list.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

There are so many good loads for the 9mm, it's simply not logical to jump on the G2 bandwagon right now. Just pick one of the established loads and wait for some govt. agencies to be the beta testers on the new round.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

My department has switched duty ammo several times over the last decade and we have always gone full circle back to the Winchester Ranger line, due to reliability. Our primary round is the 147gr 9mm RA9T, it's not the latest or greatest, more importantly we've never had supply problems, and other than cosmetic flaws QC/QA issues have been minimal. I can't speak for any other company or product line, but what we found talking with Winchester, is that the RA9T and RA45T are in uninterrupted production. Commercial loaders a complex machines and I think most QA/QC issues are a result of the machines being switched to a different product line and there will be always be initial problems with getting the machines to run smoothly. Hence why .357 Sig has always been spotty, and I suspect that the machine(s) being switched between .40 and .357 would account for most of the .40 ammo issues. Unless Speer picks up some big contracts and has it in continual production I wouldn't switch (that's assuming I had a choice).
    Last edited by Paul; 01-08-2015 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    From DocGKR in this thread-
    http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...f-Defense-Ammo
    The keys are:

-- Cultivate a warrior mindset
    -- Invest in competent, thorough initial training and then maintain skills with regular ongoing practice
    -- Acquire a reliable and durable weapon system
    -- Purchase a consistent, robust performing duty/self-defense load in sufficient quantities (at least 1000 rounds) then STOP worrying about the nuances of handgun ammunition terminal performance.

Please note that ammo choice is at the bottom of the list.
    Is there an order to the list or is it just a summary? i.e. top is number one?

Quote Originally Posted by witchking777 View Post
    Is there an order to the list or is it just a summary? i.e. top is number one?
    Well DocGKR may want to respond but I have always taken it as an ordered list. Until you have a good mindset, training, and a solid pistol, you shouldn't be caring about what super special zapper ammo you put in it, correct? The difference between a HST, Gold Dot, +P, etc. is small compared to how well you shoot when crunch time comes.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

"Please note that all of the recommended pistol loads listed below have been personally tested and vetted by Dr. Roberts. THEY ARE NOT IN ORDER OF PERFORMANCE, SO ANY BULLET ON THE LIST IS CONSIDERED ACCEPTABLE."

That is from the arfcom article that has Doc's recommended list...

If it's on Doc's list, it's GTG

(assuming it feeds in your pistola)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    My department has switched duty ammo several times over the last decade and we have always gone full circle back to the Winchester Ranger line, due to reliability. Our primary round is the 147gr 9mm RA9T, it's not the latest or greatest, more importantly we've never had supply problems, and other than cosmetic flaws QC/QA issues have been minimal. I can't speak for any other company or product line, but what we found talking with Winchester, is that the RA9T and RA45T are in uninterrupted production. Commercial loaders a complex machines and I think most QA/QC issues are a result of the machines being switched to a different product line and there will be always be initial problems with getting the machines to run smoothly. Hence why .357 Sig has always been spotty, and I suspect that the machine(s) being switched between .40 and .357 would account for most of the .40 ammo issues. Unless Speer picks up some big contracts and has it in continual production I wouldn't switch (that's assuming I had a choice).
    This is a very interesting point that I had not considered before. If anyone has further insight into it, I'd be interested in hearing more. My view is that QC is probably considerable more important than what exact round you are firing.

List is in alphabetical order. Any of the loads will work fine.

As noted by Paul, for agency purchase, it is best to use a load that is in continual production; I suspect that will not be an issue for 147 gr G2, nor for 124 gr +P GD, 147 gr RA9T, 147 gr HST...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

User Tag List