Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Agency ditching M&P 40 due to firing pin breaks and light strikes

Robert Vogel reported that he uses a G35 as his on duty LE pistol; lots of other squared away folks I know have run G34/G35's as duty pistols (usually with a WML attached) without any issues.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Tom Givens carries one, doesn't he?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    Chuck, as one of those taxpayers myself, I can honestly say I'm not super thrilled about it. If they're having firing pin issues they should get in touch with Smith. I think the M&P 40 is a fundamentally solid design and I don't think a new platform is needed. I see why the issues would concern them, but jettisoning the platform seems premature.

I thought it was a weird choice, too. I do not like longslide guns at all for serious carry/uniform work. Seems like that extra length just makes for a slower draw, and it's not like the 22 or 17 have any issues with excellent terminal ballistics and accuracy with enough practice.

Plus, subjectively, I think the longslides are an order of magnitude fuglier than normal Glocks.
    Why? The "long slde" is "long(er)" really only in comparison to other Glocks-they're basically the same length as, say, a Government 1911 or a Beretta 92, where I don't exactly recall any huge/insurmountable perceived drawbacks in terms of carryability and/or draw induced by their length..

While the increased length may or may not provide some tangible increased sight-plane advantages (both consensus and my personal jury is still out/unconvinced on that one...), there is a discernible increase in velocity; arguably providing .357 SIG ballistics with 9mm 127 +P+ cartridges-which I see as not a bad thing.

As for the "fugly" quotient, Glocks (and modern polymer-framed guns in general) are not generally viewed sue generis as viable contestants in any firearms aesthetics contests. They're tools. They're intended for viable, and protracted use in various hostile environments. If I want to posture/seek a "barbecue" gun, I'll pull something else out of the vault. But this probably isn't the forum for that...

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Tom Givens carries one, doesn't he?
    He does, IWB, daily.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Why? The "long slde" is "long(er)" really only in comparison to other Glocks-they're basically the same length as, say, a Government 1911 or a Beretta 92, where I don't exactly recall any huge/insurmountable perceived drawbacks in terms of carryability and/or draw induced by their length..

While the increased length may or may not provide some tangible increased sight-plane advantages (both consensus and my personal jury is still out/unconvinced on that one...), there is a discernible increase in velocity; arguably providing .357 SIG ballistics with 9mm 127 +P+ cartridges-which I see as not a bad thing.

As for the "fugly" quotient, Glocks (and modern polymer-framed guns in general) are not generally viewed sue generis as viable contestants in any firearms aesthetics contests. They're tools. They're intended for viable, and protracted use in various hostile environments. If I want to posture/seek a "barbecue" gun, I'll pull something else out of the vault. But this probably isn't the forum for that...

Best, Jon
    I love the Beretta 92, so that's a good point on the length. I just think a 17/22 will do just fine in most or all 34/35 situations.

I never saw the point of +p+ 9mm. I find 180-grain .40 easier shooting. I think +p+ largely decreases the 9mm advantage of controllability and fast follow-ups. I like my 9mm standard pressure 147 HST or Gold Dot. For big velocity guys I see the advantage.

Guns are definitely tools first, but if I can choose between a blue screwdriver or a neon pink and green screwdriver, and they both work for the job, I'm picking blue. My subjective taste there, no flaw in the long Glocks.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    As Chuck mentioned I do carry a G 35 every day IWB. I do not find the additional three-quarter inch slide length to be an issue at all for carry, comfort, or draw speed. I do find the additional sight radius helps me beyond 15 or 20 yards. Also, I get some extra velocity, giving me 10 mm performance out of a pretty soft shooting gun.

When I first decided to transition from the 1911 after decades of carrying one, I decided on the Glock platform. I first tried Glock 23 since it was just about exactly the same size as a Commander. Hated it! I then tried a G 22 and found I could shoot it a lot better. Out of curiosity I tried the G 35 and found I can shoot it even better. Been carrying one now for eight years, IWB since the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    As Chuck mentioned I do carry a G 35 every day IWB. I do not find the additional three-quarter inch slide length to be an issue at all for carry, comfort, or draw speed. I do find the additional sight radius helps me beyond 15 or 20 yards. Also, I get some extra velocity, giving me 10 mm performance out of a pretty soft shooting gun.

When I first decided to transition from the 1911 after decades of carrying one, I decided on the Glock platform. I first tried Glock 23 since it was just about exactly the same size as a Commander. Hated it! I then tried a G 22 and found I could shoot it a lot better. Out of curiosity I tried the G 35 and found I can shoot it even better. Been carrying one now for eight years, IWB since the beginning.
    What would be your guess on the light primer strikes? Is lubing that striker a no-no like it is with Glocks?

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    The G34/G35's are popular in this area.
    Dude, your state doesn't even follow US common law. You don't count.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    When I first decided to transition from the 1911 after decades of carrying one, I decided on the Glock platform.
    Learning, sacrificing sacred cows, changing your opinion... you aren't allowed on the Internet, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    What would be your guess on the light primer strikes? Is lubing that striker a no-no like it is with Glocks?
    Absolutely positively a no-go. Even hammer fired guns shouldn't have their FPs lubricated. But on a SFA it's absolutely asking for trouble.

Also to be clear, I'm not a (complete) hater of the G34/G35 and I know there are people who've sincerely weighed the plusses and minuses to find those guns superior for them. But when I hear an FTU has decided they're the best thing for an agency, I scratch my head. If nothing else, agencies issuing G19/G23 sized guns tend to have a higher percentage of officers carrying "real" guns (IOW, their duty guns) off-duty. The number of guys who are going to carry a G35 every day in plain clothes/off-duty is probably below 1%. Can it be done? Sure. Will it be?

[QUOTE=ToddG;283789]Dude, your state doesn't even follow US common law. You don't count.

Sure it does there are plenty common law marriages in my state.

My agency of about 1600 officers, first issued M&P40's in 2006. We just got new guns last year with the latest "updates." FWIW, my new gun groups about the same with a little better reset. Had some issues with weak mag springs out of the box. I liked the older glossy mags more. We carry 180 gr GoldDots. Not my first choice but the M&P's get the job done. Large sister agency just dropped the M&P's and went back to Sig 226's.

User Tag List