Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Agency ditching M&P 40 due to firing pin breaks and light strikes

Vending Machine Operator

Agency ditching M&P 40 due to firing pin breaks and light strikes

I prefer not to share my jurisdiction and what agency I am speaking about on the internet, but I just discussed at length with one of our officers who serves with a roughly 300-strong agency. He told me that the agency is switching away from M&P 40 fullsize after 3-4 years. He stated they have had multiple firing pin breakages and light strikes, and after a recent OIS they started evaluating all their systems. They are sticking with .40 since they're a highway-focal agency and the vast majority of their contacts involve traffic stops, but swapping to the Gen 4 longslide Glock .40 (I believe it's the G35?). Before the M&P40, they had Gen 3 Glock 22s for about a decade. I guess the general consensus after a few years with the M&P is that this agency missed their Glocks.

When I was examining his M&P (very tolerant officer putting up with a gun nut prosecutor) it looked like they issued Winchester PDX1 or Ranger Bonded. Wonder if there's a primer issue.

Just an interesting data point, may mean nothing but I thought I'd share with you guys. Interesting that the full-size .40 has always been the M&P that wasn't really a problem child.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

How old are the guns? The striker has been replaced a few times and last I knew had a hefty life now.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Yup. Current M&P strikers are generally good to go with no problems.

The M&P40 seemed to work accurately and effectively in the Austin OIS recently...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Yup. Current M&P strikers are generally good to go with no problems.

The M&P40 seemed to work accurately and effectively in the Austin OIS recently...
    orion: Guns are about 3-4 years old.

To be honest, this agency is a tad fickle. They've switched with decent frequency. The 10 years they had the G22 was the longest stretch of time they've gone with a sidearm. They're also extremely well-funded, so they can basically get shiny new ones whenever they want. In my area law enforcement has a fairly pronounced preference for Glocks and 1911s and not much patience for anything else. I know the M&P 40 has a fairly strong record in service, so my skepticism was going off a bit as well.

The good news is that the M&Ps were ordered with pretty cool-looking livery and I have an inside line on a fairly lightly used one when they switch back. I'll buy it in a heartbeat.

I'm sure the taxpayers appreciate their fiscal fickleness

We are diminished
    As soon as I read "Glock 35" for uniform LE issue, my FOTM radar starts pinging.

Vending Machine Operator
    Chuck, as one of those taxpayers myself, I can honestly say I'm not super thrilled about it. If they're having firing pin issues they should get in touch with Smith. I think the M&P 40 is a fundamentally solid design and I don't think a new platform is needed. I see why the issues would concern them, but jettisoning the platform seems premature.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    As soon as I read "Glock 35" for uniform LE issue, my FOTM radar starts pinging.
    I thought it was a weird choice, too. I do not like longslide guns at all for serious carry/uniform work. Seems like that extra length just makes for a slower draw, and it's not like the 22 or 17 have any issues with excellent terminal ballistics and accuracy with enough practice.

Plus, subjectively, I think the longslides are an order of magnitude fuglier than normal Glocks.

+1 with Todd. Any agency considering issuing a long slide Glock has got a little half-tard in their genetics.

If parts breakage is a concern, then perhaps they should consider the fact that the .40S&W is notoriously hard on firearms. Austin PD, who I have relatives on, uses 165gr full power Gold Dots, and just about every officer on the force has had something break on their M&P before they are out of rookie stage. The most durable .40s outside of the old school all steel Smiths, are probably the classic Sig Sauer line. Even then, they tend to wear down fast compared to their counterparts as I have witnessed in Federal service for the last 15yrs. At this time, I just haven't observed a striker fired .40 that lasts very long, or that I would trust to not break a major part on me in a fight compared to other service caliber alternatives.

Vending Machine Operator
    My hammer-fired Beretta PX4 .40 looks great and is nearing 10k rounds (which around here is basically a test period, I know). Are striker-fired systems inherently more sensitive to recoil impulse and wear than hammer-fired systems?

There's no argument that .40 is more brisk on the equipment, we saw that with the Beretta 96 early models, among other guns, but considering the M&P line was developed around the .40, I'm not sure why wear would be such an issue.

These are definitely not super high round count guns, either, considering they're police carry guns and only 3-4 years old. The one I held today was in pretty great shape still, visually.

At least 3 LEA's in my Parish/County use G34/G35 pistols with excellent results. A local SWAT went approximately 100,000 rounds on their Gen 3 G35's in about 10 years and last year traded them for Gen 4 G35's. almost Everyone in this area uses Glocks with 180gr. ammunition in the .40 and 147gr in the 9mm.
    The G34/G35's are popular in this area.

User Tag List