Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gun For Wife

Just transitioned my wife from the S&W shield to the P320 compact with small grip module, her performance
    with it is easily 40% better than the shield, subsequently she enjoys shooting much more and is making solid
    progress in the fundamentals, make sure you try one.

Quote Originally Posted by CanineCombatives View Post
    Just transitioned my wife from the S&W shield to the P320 compact with small grip module, her performance
    with it is easily 40% better than the shield, subsequently she enjoys shooting much more and is making solid
    My wife actually liked shooting my new medium gripped full size 320. I'm anxious to track down a small module next. If I can find one in cranberry it would really help.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by iakdrago View Post
    Her number one priority as i have always taught her, is to run. If cornered, shoot.

Given that long and awkward synopsis, any suggestions for a handgun for my wife?
    Read about Claude Werner's "Old Man Gun" and the interesting and flexible options of carry such a configuration can provide if the ultimate goal is to have her carry. (I would recommend studying as much of Claude's stuff as you can.)

It may help give some ideas.

Site Supporter
    I have interest in the P320. When you (not your wife) holds the carry model, where does your pinkie finger go? Does it go underneath the magazine, does it grip the gun like the other fingers, or does it grip the bottom edge of the actual grip (borderline - halfway on and halfway off)? Same question for your wife.

I wear a large size glove in most brands and my pinkie has plenty of real estate to wrap around the grip
    and not tuck under but I am indexing on the magazine baseplate with my pinkie.
    My wife has quite a bit of spare real estate having extremely small hands, well below average for most
    women yet the P320 compact is easier and more comfortable for her to operate than the shield.

Site Supporter
    I wear a large size glove in most brands and my pinkie has plenty of real estate to wrap around the grip
    and not tuck under but I am indexing on the magazine baseplate with my pinkie.
    My wife has quite a bit of spare real estate having extremely small hands, well below average for most
    women yet the P320 compact is easier and more comfortable for her to operate than the shield.
    Thank you. You answered my question very well. I would definitely buy the small grip size frame for my wife and the medium for me. I am thinking the carry model or the yet to be released subcompact model for purse carry.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by WOLFIE View Post
    Thank you. You answered my question very well. I would definitely buy the small grip size frame for my wife and the medium for me. I am thinking the carry model or the yet to be released subcompact model for purse carry.
    Not my purse - my wife's purse - I don't have a purse - I meant purse carry for my wife - really

Quote Originally Posted by WOLFIE View Post
    Not my purse - my wife's purse - I don't have a purse - I meant purse carry for my wife - really
    It's not a purse - it's a European Clutch!

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    OP: Where do you live? Perhaps someone here can recommend a local course/range/club where your wife can try a variety of options.
    We live in the greater Philadelphia Area. The plan is to go to classic pistol this weekend and try out several different guns. If the guns from the list are not all available in the are, we will probably go to french creek outfitters, and target master to try more.

This is what i think will happened:

She will still prefer the full size guns for ease of shooting, however i hope that we find a happy median where we can find a purse gun that she can still enjoy shooting/shoot well. Of course, if it has a pink frame/interchangeable backstops, that will be a plus.

Again, thank you for all the input, it has been greatly appreciated.

As far as tactics, i know a lot of you are concerned about the purse carry/short range implication goals. As i said earlier, though i would love my wife to be able to conceal a full size pistol in a retention holster--that's not realistic. I would also love my wife to be a much better shooter than me and clear the qualification course of the u.s air marshals/seal team six--while sleep deprived and possibly hung over. However--baby steps.

Chicks dig matchlocks. Have you thought about a classic Ottoman arquebus?

"Your hands than mine are quicker for a fray.
    My legs are longer though, to run away."
    --Helena of Athens

User Tag List