Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun For Wife

My wife doesn't like my M&P FS9 w/TS at all; the scalloped serrations don't work for her and there is too much to think about with the safety. We went down a bunch of paths and we're still closing in on what we believe will be a Glock G19, a Sig P320 in a carry frame, or a medium framed revolver.

Here's what I learned from the experience so far:

1) Drive her to good local gun stores
    2) Walk to the counter with her to get the ball rolling
    3) Step back and let her work with the salesman

In doing so, she's already identified stores she likes and stores she doesn't like and knows that she doesn't want a J-Frame or small pistol like a Shield/Bodyguard/G42. It's taken a while using the approach of eliminating options to get to a small list of possibilities, but I want something she'll be comfortable with and willing to practice with. I had to promise to stop bad mouthing Glocks if she gets one. Since I reload for 9mm we're looking at other 9mm options, but I let her know I'm willing to sacrifice and reload for .38 special and .357 mag if needed.

For another female perspective on carry options, have her check out https://www.youtube.com/user/faliaphotography for some clothing options and holster opinions.

BTW, congrats on the marriage.

Matt

My wife is pretty happy with the Shield in 9mm. I had bought her a Glock 19, but after she shot my Shield, it became "her" shield, and lives in her purse... Strangely enough, her favorite gun to shoot is the one I taught her how to shoot on, the 92FS. It is too big even for her purse! But the big size and weight make it easy to control...

Of all the .380s I have handled and shot, the Glock 42 is hands down the best of the bunch. A tad larger than the LCP and Kel Tec, but that makes it more controllable, it has real sights that can be upgraded to tritium or fibers, or whatever you like. I am not a fan of the .380, but if I had to have one, it would be the 42 without question.

My wife HATED my 637 J frame, and is not a fan of my 26. So of all the things I owned, she picked the Shield and has not looked back.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Mrs. SC holds NRA Woman on Target clinics on a regular basis. I occasionally assist and she has a couple experienced ladies that help. We bring a couple Buckmark 22's, M&P9c, Glock 19 Gen 3 and 4, Springfield 9mm 1911, HK P2000 and P30 9mm LEM, Kahr K9, and a Sig P228. One of the ladies that assists her brings a J Frame and a 9mm XDsc. The XD (I know), M&P9c, Kahr K9, and 1911 seem to be the most popular with the ladies.

The guns that ladies bring to the clinics:

Ruger LC series is pretty popular, once in a while we see a SR9c or 40c.
    S&W M&P 9c. Popular and run really well in ladies hands.
    Springfield XDsc. Lots of XD's for some reason and seem to run well.
    Kahr 9mm...CW9, K9, etc.
    Glock 19 and 23. Those that bring the 23 usually have a law enforcement family member that recommended one but complain about the recoil. I have yet to see a 42 and maybe one 26. The Gen 4 that we have has lots of limp wrist issues, even with American Eagle or Speer Lawman 124 grain ammo. Gen 3 works fine most of the time.
    There is a sprinkling of revolvers but they are losing popularity, and odds and ends of 380s. The Bersa 380 was popular for a while and they run well but for how long is the question.

I think the worst gun is the Walther P22. We have thought about banning them them because of all the malfunction issues and confusion about the safety.

Like someone else already mentioned, please let her try lots of guns before making a decision.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I'd suggest trying the Ruger LC9s. The trigger is light years better than the hammer fired versions. I can't testify to durability or reliability but the size is in the Shield ballpark of just right for a purse gun.

My wife is in the same boat as the OP. We've been married two years now, and prior to meeting me, she had no exposure to firearms.

She can shoot an M&P9fs and a HK VP9 well. But carrying one is out of the question due to size. I bought her a M&P Shield as she liked the size of mine. But she just haven't warmed up to it. A girlfriend of hers has one of the new Glock 42's and was telling her about it. For a smaller and slimmer person, the 380 Glock is the answer to the nitch. I am definitely not a fan of the 380 caliber. But I would rather have my wife armed with a "shootable" 380, than a larger 9mm in off body carry. A pistol in a purse isn't much good if the punch is snatched...

As my wife is not an LEO, she needs to go through our state's CCW course. I have several friends who can certify her, but we found a female instructor who teaches women only classes. This lady has a similar build as my wife. After speaking with her for a length of time, i discovered she promotes belly band/holster combinations with smaller guns like a Colt mustang or a Glock 42. This permits smaller women with slider builds to carry on their body and not dress, "like a man".

As a person who will not go below a 9mm Glock 19 or M&P9c for a primary off-duty carry, I cringe at the concept of a Glock 42 in 380 acp as my wife's primary carry gun. But then I tell myself that I would rather she have a 380 that she is confidant with and actually carries.

The hardest thing for men immersed in the gun culture to do when their significant other wants to chose a carry gun, is to actually let their significant other chose the gun.

Given that long and awkward synopsis, any suggestions for a handgun for my wife?
    If I had a dollar for every well-meaning hubby/boyfriend who had picked out a gun for his significant other who then disliked it I'd be able to buy something really nice!
    My advice is usually something along the lines of take her to a gun show, well-equipped gun store, or someplace where there are lots of guns that she can see and handle. Feel free to provide input and suggest similar but better quality alternatives if they find something they like. Then let that be their gun, even if you don't think it is the best thing for them. In my immediate associations my daughter carries a S&W Mdl 60, my mother uses a S&W Mdl 649, and my ex uses a Colt Diamondback 2". Not necessarily what I would have preferred for any of them, but AFAIK each of them carries and shoots their gun regularly.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

My wife carries a G19 off duty and an issued M&P45 on duty. She much prefers the Glock fits her hand much better even with the small M&P backstrap

Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    If I had a dollar for every well-meaning hubby/boyfriend who had picked out a gun for his significant other who then disliked it I'd be able to buy something really nice!
    My advice is usually something along the lines of take her to a gun show, well-equipped gun store, or someplace where there are lots of guns that she can see and handle. Feel free to provide input and suggest similar but better quality alternatives if they find something they like. Then let that be their gun, even if you don't think it is the best thing for them. In my immediate associations my daughter carries a S&W Mdl 60, my mother uses a S&W Mdl 649, and my ex uses a Colt Diamondback 2". Not necessarily what I would have preferred for any of them, but AFAIK each of them carries and shoots their gun regularly.
    I too know a couple females that pick a j frame over a modern semi. And for what they want it for (not mall terr events) they shoot them effectively at close range and know their gun well.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

There are times when we have to come to the realization that our spouse won't, or perhaps even shouldn't, carry a gun. Constantly badgering them about it usually only makes them even more resistant. Unfortunately, in those cases it usually takes some kind of tragic incident to change their mind. My wife has a 2.5 inch S&W Model 66 that has been "her" gun for some years now. She doesn't carry it and probably never will. It typically goes to the range then back to the nightstand. She's an intelligent, educated woman yet lacks the decisive nature and mindset necessary for carrying a gun. Consequently I've never really forced the issue. Her hardware preference seems to be changing though. She likes the Beretta 92 and shoots it like a boss. Truthfully, I was a bit shocked at how well she shot it the first time out, far better than she's shot anything else and to a significant degree. I can't see her packing one in her purse anytime soon though.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

OP: Where do you live? Perhaps someone here can recommend a local course/range/club where your wife can try a variety of options.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List