Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun For Wife

Gun For Wife

Mission drives gear question.

Me and my wife recently got married (Jan. 3rd). Up to this point she has been carrying my spare M&p9fs in a spare kydex holster inside her purse. The gun does not exhibit the accuracy issues, as i routinely shoot it at 25+ yards. She on the other hand is not what i would call a shooting aficionado. Slow shooting at 7 yards she can keep the whole magazine within a hand print. As of late, i find that despite the gun now having pink backstops, it spends a lot more time on the dresser than in her purse.

Our training: I make it a point for her to come to the range with me, but have been unsuccessful at making it more than once every 2-3 months. (GJM your wife needs to talk to my wife.)
    She will not carry a gun on her person, because it interferes with her style (she is on the slim side, and likes to show it). Albeit i'm still grateful that she at least attempts to carry it in her purse.

When i asked her about the reason that she does not carry the gun all the time, the response was simple--it's too big.

I'm now on the look out of a smaller gun. The M&p shield, and M&P compact is at the top of the list given our M&P family. But also the J Frame, and even the Ruger LCP in 380/M&P bodyguard. If the gun will ever be used it will be most likely at point blank range or less. It will not need to be reloaded. It does not have to be capable of headshot at 25 yards.

The mission of her guns is different when compared to my gun. With my gun, my mission is to fight with it, to preserve my family and the lives of those around me. Hers, is to be there when the situation smells and looks like shit, so that she can grip the gun in her purse, and if needed, pull it out and use it.

Her number one priority as i have always taught her, is to run. If cornered, shoot.

Given that long and awkward synopsis, any suggestions for a handgun for my wife?

My recoil hating wife and both my new daughter in laws (with tiny hands) absolutely love the two G42s that have been around here. They can shoot full size guns albeit not blazing but they can blaze the G42s and keep their hits in the IDPA A circle at 20 feet. Not like PF Bill Drill PR's but sub second splits. They can't do that with a J frame.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    A good read for the involved parties is www.corneredcat.com

Male opinions on the right gun for the wife and training for the wife are sometimes filtered through a male paradigm and ego. I recall Vicki Farnam taking to task a male who was upset his wife didn't take his advance to carry a compact 1911. I also recommend that one find a female oriented training course or two and then let the female decide what works.

The recent accidental shooting of a mom by her kid may make people rethink purse carry. It may be appealing but here's a good take on it - http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...rs-not-purses/

J frames are not the most pleasant to shoot for the untrained.

As far as never having to make a long distance shot or reload - wish I was that psychic. Yep, the modal encounter might be blazing away with eyes closed at close range - but I'd prefer a higher standard.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    My recoil hating wife and both my new daughter in laws (with tiny hands) absolutely love the two G42s that have been around here. They can shoot full size guns albeit not blazing but they can blaze the G42s and keep their hits in the IDPA A circle at 20 feet. Not like PF Bill Drill PR's but sub second splits. They can't do that with a J frame.
    Did not even think of the Glock 42. It makes a lot of sense in our situation. Especially since i'm considering a slow migration to the Glock side myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    A good read for the involved parties is www.corneredcat.com

Male opinions on the right gun for the wife and training for the wife are sometimes filtered through a male paradigm and ego.
    My plan is to take her to a range, and rent one of each of the suggested guns, and let HER chose the gun that she is most comfortable shooting AND carrying.

My only parameters are that the gun is reliable and of service caliber (yes, including 380).

Though like you i would love to apply a higher standard to the shooting requirements, i have to keep the ego component in check. Right now, i want her to be armed, and be able to put down/deter an attack from 0-7 yards away with the biggest emphasis on getting away.
    The hope of course, is that with time and training, she will be able to make the proper choices to the carry methods/gun selection.

Though i may wish that my wife could complete the SEAL Team 6 qualifier, and be able to grab my body armor, ar-15, and kick down the door when she needs to go and rescue the kids/me--at this point in time it's not realistic.

The only other pistol my wife likes to shoot is her cranberry frame Ruger SR22 (the leetle .22 auto). It's about 500 rds in running well and she can grip and rip with it too. I find Headhunter's stats and arguments quite persuasive that for the vast majority of civilian defensive uses, any reliably functioning gun they can shoot well and have at hand is a good choice, .22s included.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    You mentioned possibly going to glock which does make the glock 42 appealing. The G26 gen4 recoil is surprisingly tame and should be small enough for purse carry. If the G26 grip fits her hand, I would suggest that one although I do think you are wise to let her choose. The M & P 9C should fit her hand even better than the G26. My friend recently bought the shield for his wife and the 9C for himself. His wife likes the small shield.

Quote Originally Posted by iakdrago View Post
    Did not even think of the Glock 42. It makes a lot of sense in our situation. Especially since i'm considering a slow migration to the Glock side myself.
    The G42 sure took a lot of shit from hardcore enthusiasts when it first came out a year ago (including even few posts here) but there is no denying that the pistol has its own niche. Several of my friends have slowly acquired G42s over the last year--based on my experiences with my MLK day exemplar--and the number one reason cited is "it fits my wife to a t". We all get that it's not going to be our country's next service sidearm, but it's a *great* gun for a husband and wife to take to the range, and the wife to carry back from same.

My wife, God Bless her for sticking around for over 20 years, has been on-again-off-again when it comes to firearms. Despite my attempts to reason with her, she's not interested in a firearm in places where "we're safe." She first started carrying consistently when we were living in Miami, she was 7 months pregnant, and our next-door neighbor was robbed, at gun point, in his driveway. In broad daylight. Two years later, living in a "safe" neighborhood in San Antonio and having a baby attached to her 20 hours a day, the juice wasn't worth the squeeze, for her.

What I'm getting at is this: SOMETIMES, women who are attracted to us will do stuff because they want to just spend time with us, even if they don't really enjoy what we're doing. My wife, who is possibly the best "natural" shot I've ever met and can shoot the wings off a fly (well, maybe off a small bird) at 25 yards, is in this category. While we were courting, time on the range meant time together. Now, time on the range is time apart, which makes the time spent together "mo' bettah." If your wife is anything like SWMBO, the more you push, the less she'll enjoy shooting.

OK, now down to the question. Answer: DON'T ASK US! Take herself to as many LGS as possible, and let her peruse, fondle and decide what she wants to try. Then take her to a range where you can rent that model and let her try it. My wife LOVED her airweight J-frame at the gun show, fired THREE rounds through it (158 gr +P LHP, of course) and decided it would be a great ankle gun for me. She LOVED her Colt Pony Pocketlight until the first time on the range and she was having about 50% malfunctions - off to Gunbroker it went. She HATES my Glocks, all of them, no matter how often I try to make her understand they're the "best thing for her." To date, the only pistol she has consistently told me she'd be upset if I sold it out from under her was a Colt Commanding Officer 9mm (lightweight Commander frame with and Officer's model upper). There's no way in God's green earth I or any of my gun-savvy friends would have recommended that little gem, but there you have it...

Seriously, DON'T get her a j frame, especially an airweight. I can't count the number of times I've had friends come to me to help teach their wives how to shoot with the 642 the LGS convinced them was the best "fit" for "her little hands." If you can get her to commit to carry a M&Pc 9mm, I think you'd both be in a good place. It sounds like it's VERY unlikely given her dress and physique that she'll ever carry any "real" pistol on her person, so a compactish 9mm in a GOOD purse holster could be the best option. And, as others have mentioned, while I don't routinely recommend mice guns, if the only thing she'll carry with her all the time is a Beretta .22LR - better that than a sharp stick when the wolf comes around (SWMBO actually carried one of these for a while, we spent a lot of time going over appropriate tactical applications - e.g. under the jaw and pull the trigger until it runs dry).

Best of luck and let us know what she decides on.

Site Supporter
    The only input I have is that I have an LCP that I love and carry as a BUG. Any thought I had of passing it down my my wife disappeared after out first trip to the range. The little bugger kicks pretty good, and she passed it right back to me. We had to go another way.

User Tag List