Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Selecting carry gun while dominant arm is out of commission

You've had some excellent suggestions on the thread. I'll echo the recommendation for the Glock G19. Another holster consideration might be an off-body type, such as a Wilderness Safepacker, which is relatively unobtrusive, but you'd have to experiment to see if one-handed use/manipulations are viable.

Best, Jon

A pre-positioned kydex, or semi-rigid leather (Summer Special, etc.) holster would work. I went through this years ago while working uniform, strong hand in a cast up to the elbow. Note to self... have an impact weapon handy even on day shift... heads are hard, especially on the side above the ear, and when that's the only target available, one's fist against that much bone usually does not end well.

Light (front desk) duty, no Sam Browne duty belt, but I still had to wear the uniform. I carried my ASP in a lefty Summer Special IWB (kydex hadn't been invented yet); thumb over the hammer while holstering removed any worries in that regard.

Regarding reloading one-handed; dropping to your knee on that side gives a handy place to tuck the pistol while retrieving and inserting the fresh magazine. If you need to rack the slide, use your heel. Of course, you drop the spent magazine on the way down, using the trigger finger if your release isn't ambidextrous.

A fanny pack or murse doesn't look as gay when your arm's in a sling.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Been reading this with interest, as I hope to be going through it soon.

I dont know that the sling looks like. Is there room above the arm in the sling to carry anything concealed? Gun, knife, spare mag?

G19/17 or M&P9.

A few years ago, I was still running a .45 Auto 1911 when I damaged my right hand/wrist, which required numerous hand sutures and forced me into a cast for 8+ weeks. I found out how much more effective I was using a G19 weak handed compared to a .45 Auto 1911. As noted above, higher magazine capacity and lower recoil are key when truly forced to only shoot and function with only one hand.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Been reading this with interest, as I hope to be going through it soon.

I dont know that the sling looks like. Is there room above the arm in the sling to carry anything concealed? Gun, knife, spare mag?
    Has to be small and light; a Ti-Scan AirLite J frame probably would work. You'd have to rig a holster of some sort… hey, maybe there's a market for a bicep holster. Develop one, and you'll be rich!

LSP972 brings up a good point. A lot of the techniques taught for WHO reloading, malfunction clearance, etc are fine when done for a few repetitions as part of a course. They take on a whole new level of significance when they become your ONLY way to reload, clear a malfunction, etc.

I felt I was pretty well-versed in running a gun one-handed. When running a gun one-handed became my only way of running a gun, I found many of the techniques I had been taught to be lacking and I really had to devote a bit of time to developing/refining a set of techniques I was comfortable with.
    C Class shooter.

We are diminished
    In terms of WHO techniques and to follow up on Kevin's follow up of LSP972's post...

I don't like WHO (or SHO) techniques that require you to stand still while performing them like the Rogers 1H reload technique. I'm a big believer in holstering the gun, doing as much of the manipulation in the holster as possible, and then drawing again. It may be slower but it's far less likely to result on your gun dropping on the ground and/or you getting hurt because you were static when you should have been mobile. More than one person has shot himself in the leg using the Rogers technique in particular and -- purely theory on my part -- shooting one of your kneecaps while one of your arms is already out of the fight seems like a lousy way to enjoy a gunfight.

I'm also a fan of running my mag pouch where I normally do 2H (for me as a righty, that's at 9 o'clock). It keeps my training consistent and means less reaching across my body while trying to do things.

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies. I just got home from day surgery. Tripping comfortably on Percocet, so for now I'm not even touching a handgun. Lots of good suggestions to consider.

I am just back to being able to carry strong side after shoulder surgery a few months ago.

I was not able to do the normal dry fire exercises I do while I was injured. I mostly just worked on trigger control exercises from Ben Stoeger's dry fire book. The first exercise is basically the Wall Drill with a slow controlled trigger press. The second exercise was the Wall Drill with a rapid trigger press. I had lots of time on my hands and a desire to practice without being able to do much else so I did those two exercises a lot, mostly weak hand only but also strong hand only pointed at a low angle towards the ground. When I could get back to shooting, I was pleasantly surprised at the results when I shot an IDPA match and went to a practice session with Jim Higginbotham. My trigger control had noticeably improved.

I also practiced failure drills in live fire and dry fire. That was a little frustrating. Drawing weak hand only and trying to control recoil for two rapid body shots was not easy. I felt incredibly slow.

I hope you have a speedy and full recovery.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

User Tag List