Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Selecting carry gun while dominant arm is out of commission

Selecting carry gun while dominant arm is out of commission

I'm getting ready to have the rotator cuff on my dominant arm repaired, which means my right arm will be immobilized in a sling and a waist strap for about six weeks, with full rehab taking 6-12 months.

I've been reviewing my options for a CCW firearm while my right arm is out of commission. One friend, a trainer I respect greatly, suggested a full sized autoloader, like the G19 I usually carry AIWB, but on my left. He raised the point that reloading one handed will be a bitch, and that this would be unlikely to be needed with 15+1. I purchased a left handed IWB holster, and ran into an interesting problem. Even without a holster hanging off my belt, it's hard to pull up, fasten, and belt my pants one handed (with a holstered gun hanging from the belt, it's practically impossible). However, once I get my pants up, I then need to shove gun-in-holster down my pants and engage the belt clip, all with the non-dominant hand, which is pretty difficult, as well. The (slightly easier) alternative is to position the empty holster on my belt, and then re-holster the gun -- something I do VERY CAREFULLY with my right hand under ordinary circumstances, and something I'd be even more cautious about doing with my left hand.

The other option that I see is pocket carry, either a snubbie revolver or a DAO autoloader. While the DAO autoloader may be a little easier to pocket carry, I've decided against it for several reasons. First, small pocket-able DAO autoloaders are generally chambered for .22, .32acp, or .380, not really as good as the rounds that snubbies are typically chambered for. Second, many of the little pocket autoloaders have magazine capacities not all that much greater than snubbies. Third, if I have to fire the gun, I'll be firing left handed, and will be more likely to limp-wrist, which could cause a malfunction with an autoloader, but not with a revolver. Finally, those recoil springs on blowback autoloaders are stiff, so the one-handed malfunction clearances that I can do left handed with my Glock are nearly impossible. So, if I go with pocket carry, I'd plan to carry a snub.

Everything is a compromise -- the G19 is what I'm used to carrying, but it makes dressing and using the toilet truly a bear, and I'm a little more likely to have a limp-wrist malfunction shooting left handed. The snubbie is easier to carry and won't malfunction, but only carries 5 (or 6) rounds. The question would be, then, what is more likely -- my limp-wristing my Glock, or my getting into a jam that can't be solved with 5 rounds.

I'd be curious if any others have had to consider this problem, and what others might suggest.

I went the G19 route. No issues getting dressed or with limp-wristing.
    C Class shooter.

We are diminished
    (a) Find a gun you shoot well WHO.
    (b) Get a WHO holster of whatever kind you are most comfortable using.
    (c) Use (a) and (b).

I totally understand where you're coming from with the putting-on-the-pants thing. I just looped the holster in place, got dressed, and then put the gun in the holster. Not a big enough deal to worry about.

Best of luck on the surgery and hopefully fast recovery.

I think the G19 advice is sound, and I'd start training with it right now.

Okie John

Look on the bright side, you can capitalize on the opportunity of making your weak hand your other strong hand!

Todd has got it right IMHO.

BTDT. Broke both right forearm bones near wrist doing combatives while going through chemo in 2012. 2 hours into a 4 day class. Got splinted, lunched, casted. Shot the rest of the course LH out of LH gear. Got home orthopod put in 11 screws and a plate, pulled plate out later.
    I shot about 4,000 rounds during these operations LHO. If you have lemons make lemonade.
    Post breakage I felt I looked more like prey ( no hair , cast on arm) and was very vigilant. I DID NOT decrease my loadout.

Use your GL 19 in a LH holster.
    Reloading 1 handed sucks. Look at Paul Gomez's and Bill Rogers material on how to do this. High capacity is your friend. I found mag pouches at between 8:00-12:00 were easy to load into empty pistol while it is stuffed into LH holster, waistband, pocket etc...between knees works until you have to run in mid reload.

While damaged:
    High capacity is your friend,
    2nd high capacity pistol is your friend,
    J frame in pocket on undamaged side helps.
    Put knives, reloads where you can get them with your good hand.
    More alertness and awareness that you are diminished is necessary, you will be easier to damage/kill so you need to decide when you will go to gun/knife etc...
    A Service auto (GL19/17 etc...) with a X300/X400 with DG11 switch and a happy stick is a great bedside pistol.

If you need to be able to run a carbine while damaged an AUG or a Tavor would be a thought.
    While I was damaged I for a while I could not run a carbine, my trigger finger was not working right. When the trigger finger was working later I could run my carbine while casted. A shoulder is more of a handicap than my rotator and ulnar break.
    When my broken side trigger finger was down I had a GL17/X400 DG11 with 33 round mags as my 1 hand carbine substitute. A Tavor or AUG would have been better.

Pre-damage:
    Practice all of the 1 hand skills. Drawing, reloading, malfunction clearance etc...
    Clearing a garment 1 handed, particularly closed front, is more difficult 1 handed and needs practice.
    Last edited by 1slow; 01-06-2015 at 12:40 AM.

When I had shoulder surgery on my right arm I just bought a mirror image of my carry gear and made it work.
    P2000SK in a AIWB holster. My wife carries and is a good shooter as well and she was with me the majority of the time while I was "winged".
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I would suggested checking out the P2000SK as well. Fully ambi would be helpful in your situation. Also the M&P 9c may fit the bill.
    Taking a break from social media.

I've got a LH Glock holster and tried working it all from the weak hand side and was pretty amazed how difficult is was vs just WHO shooting a la Hack standards of the pickup and WHO shooting. A lot of coordination to get wired. The thread is a good reminder to get busy on that.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Being left handed when I broke my left wrist (and ribs - ouch) - I switched a Glock 19 to a right handed setup without much problem. As far as holsters, I found that ones that clip over the belt - OWB - like the Galco line were easy to put on with one hand. Thus, put on my pants - then holstered. Long floppy shirts were used for cover. For reloading, loading, etc. I cleverly broke my wrist just I was scheduled to take a class on injured shooters techniques. Thus, I mastered the reloads and racking, etc.

I had no trouble shooting the 19 with only my nondominant hand. I also carried a single extra mag on the right side with a similar OWB clip over the belt setup.

Hopefully, you won't have a malfunction or need to reload for the zombie hoard.

User Tag List