Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Nightforce NXS 1-4, still relevant?

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    Not to slam...but as a former Eotech owner, and a guy with some basic grasp of where bullets go:

Aren't you just guessing about when the 65 MOA ring stops being more applicable than the center dot? What if you're at 5y? How about 14y? 32y? 40y?

I like the Eotech reticle (although personally I'd rather run it in a Shield CQB which is a better sight) but if you have two options for point of aim and one works at distance A and one at distance B, then unless you're shooting at one of those particular distances, you're guessing about POI.
    I understand your point but with any sight there are distances for which you are not zeroed/have holds for. I'm also not saying Eotechs are great and Aimpoints suck. Just that I appreciated having the closeup true hold vs guessing at holdover.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I understand your point but with any sight there are distances for which you are not zeroed/have holds for. I'm also not saying Eotechs are great and Aimpoints suck. Just that I appreciated having the closeup true hold vs guessing at holdover.
    I spent a significant amount of time using POA/POI references inside reticles, and ultimately determined that for most applications a consistent hold-over referencing zero was superior.
    An aspect of this revolves around POA/POI intersection. With 5.56, the consistency of a 100 meter zero ballistic "slope" at 0 to 50 meters (1 inch difference in POI), and 40 to 150 (dead-hold), worked better than worrying about the significant difference between 3 and 10 meters if using the bottom of the EoTech ring.
    The ring works well if everything is inside a specific envelope, which has made quite a few people feel that the EoTech is faster, but when distances are less well defined, users tend to revert to their comfort level, and shots go other than where intended.
    If the user is familiar and comfortable with driving the dot about 1.5" above the desired impact point from 0 to 50, he will easily hold within a head anywhere inside that. If the user is familiar and comfortable with using the bottom of the circle as POA/POI at 7 yards, he will be over the head at 25. One could easily argue that the shooter should then know to hold 1.5 high if outside room distance, however, this is now expecting the user to master two reticle references instead of one. You and I might have the time and motivation to learn and apply a few different reticle references in a violent encounter, but it still forces a mental decision as to what reticle reference to use based on the estimated distance/environment.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

If I'm understanding correctly, the NXS reticle is designed around a 200 yard zero. If I use a 100 yard zero, should I look elsewhere?

Which NXS reticle? I use 100 yards on all my NF scopes...

200 on my aimpoints.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Which NXS reticle? I use 100 yards on all my NF scopes...

200 on my aimpoints.
    Sorry, the FC3G. From their literature:

Created specifically for our 1-4 x 24 NXS and rifles with 16″ barrels, providing accurate holdovers to 600 yards. 200-yard center dot zero

Gotcha. Truthfully, I don't use the hold overs much, but the nice thing is that with a 100 yard zero, all I have to do is dial to a 200 yard zero and then everything lines up again.

slg, why a 200 on your aimpoints?

With the aimpoint, I want maximum point blank zero.

With the scopes, I can set them for most likely used distance, and then dial for other stuff. For GP use, they are often just set to 200 as well... OUt to 250 or so I'm good, just like an aimpoint. If I want more precision, I just dial that specific distance.

With precision optics, you want to zero no further than 100 yards. Dialing makes your zero more accurate these day, rather than fighting position and wind at greater than 100 yard distances.

so, I am thinking of picking up a 1-4x now, feel like they are more versatile then a red dot.. anyone else got some more info on the nxs

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    so, I am thinking of picking up a 1-4x now, feel like they are more versatile then a red dot.. anyone else got some more info on the nxs
    Bump for more opinions/info/data.

Basically, is the Nightforce's bomb-proof reputation enough to offset the daylight bright illumiation offered by the likes of Swaro/Kahles?

User Tag List