Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Nightforce NXS 1-4, still relevant?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Is there any advantage to the Mil dot reticle in a 1-4 ?
    No mil-dot reticle is offered currently in the 1-4, I don't believe. Just IHR and FC-3G

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    No mil-dot reticle is offered currently in the 1-4, I don't believe. Just IHR and FC-3G
    There's a used one for sale local to me.

I think they are also available via special order. Allen Yoast firearms carries them.

So quick question, aren't you the guy that was staunchly for the Red dot + magnifier? If so, what changed?

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    So quick question, aren't you the guy that was staunchly for the Red dot + magnifier? If so, what changed?
    I want variety. I want to spend more time running a LPV to see if my taste changes.

Trackin, keep me updated. Interested in what you find

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Trackin, keep me updated. Interested in what you find
    Will do. What burned me so bad on the LPV was the VCOG I bought. Total suck. I kindof wrote of LPV's for some time, but the NXS that I looked through had none of the diopter shift issues the VCOG did unless I literally shoved the muzzle of the carbine into the target and the target was a fine-print book and I tried to read the print while keeping a crisp reticle. That's absurd. At any useful/meaningful distance (1-2 yards +), everything is beautifully in focus. So, I'm going to give the LPV a go.

Since noone seems to have these photos, I took a few. My new Nightforce 1-4 NXS with FC-2 reticle arrived, and out came the cheap potato to document! All photos are with illumination set on "Max" unless otherwise noted. This should give a good idea of what one can expect in nearly every lighting environment one will encounter at night. Daylight pictures will have to wait for a bit, for technical reasons.

White wall, 3 meters, illumination off, 800 lumen bulbs (x2) behind white ceiling light diffuser:

White wall, 3 meters, illumination on, 800 lumen bulbs (x2) behind white ceiling light diffuser:

White wall, 3 meters, Surefire M600 Ultra (500 lumen) providing illumination, series:

Standing in living-room, standard residential brightness (to my eyes), unsure of lumens of bulb(s). 1X, aiming across parkinglot at door 50m distant:

Standing in living-room, standard residential brightness (to my eyes), unsure of lumens of bulb(s). 4X, aiming across parkinglot at door 50m distant:

Gas station, approximately 150m, 1x:

Gas station, approximately 150m, 4x:

Dark parkinglot into lit apartment, distance to door @ 10m:

Overcast with light rain, 1x, full illumination, Jeep@150 yards:

Overcast with light rain, 4x, full illumination, Jeep@150 yards:

Overcast with light rain, 1x, no illumination, Jeep@150 yards:

Overcast with light rain, 4x, no illumination, Jeep@150 yards:

Very pleased so far. Here is a picture for size/scale. I have not bought a mount for it yet, although I'm working on a deal for the one I want.

-I do notice a tiny bit of magnification on 1x. It is functionally a non-issue, and there is no phoria.

-Everything is tough. The diopter adjustment locks, the scope and all adjustments feel very "robust".

-The glass is very very good. Not Kahles, but VERY good.

-Light transmission on 1x at night is very good. It is similar to the un-aided eye. Not darker, certainly.

-I noticed NONE of the diopter shift issues that I had with the VCOG. On 1x across the room it looks good, at 4x across the parkinglot it looks good...blurry smartphone pix not withstanding.

Thanks for taking the time to do that man. It's like I went to the gun store myself and looked at it!! Looks sweet!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to do that man. It's like I went to the gun store myself and looked at it!! Looks sweet!!
    Any time! I was very frustrated with the lack of information on this item. It's a been to war and come back, proven itself for a decade piece of kit...and noone has anything bad to say about it, but noone even really talks about it...so it was kindof a leap of faith on my part that I'm glad I made so far!

User Tag List