Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nightforce NXS 1-4, still relevant?

Nightforce NXS 1-4, still relevant?

I have eyeballed the VCOG, K16i, Z6i, and Vortex Razor II. Never looked through a Nightforce before, until I attended on of Frank Proctor's classes. He beats the hell out of that rifle of his, and I was curious what optic he had on it, because it surely must be a beast! I also don't know Frank Proctor's money situation, but I bet he can afford whatever he wants, regarding a scope. Just a hunch. So I was doubly curious. Easy going and polite guy that he is, he let me handle the rifle, and I saw that it was an NXS 1-4X. I REALLY! liked the big, easy-to-find reticle. It is daylight fast and usable without illumination. The compact length of the scope I guess made it balance exceptionally, as it did not feel "heavy" at all (may have also been that BCM stock and KMW rail...).

Anyway, my question is, money aside, Is the NXS 1-4X still "relevant" in this "day and age", presuming that the shooter does not need anything over 4x? How durable are the NXS 1-4X scopes? Is it in the same league as the newer one's like the K16i, MK6, etc? Does it have "known flaws" such as loose battery contacts, fogging up, or any sort of "Yeah...but watch out for..." type "buyer beware" caveats?

I did a quick search on here, but most of the reviews and comments are from pre-1-6X optic times. The 1-4's seem to be losing popularity to them, but for my purposes, the extra 2X is superflous. I can live with it, or without it.

Site Supporter
    I would buy a Nightforce NXS 1-4 in a heartbeat for my AR if I could afford that scope.

I have two, that I have moved between a SCAR H, various 5.56 AR guns, and even a .375 H&H. Still ticking.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I have one a 9" 300BLK upper and enjoy shooting it very much. Best trade I've made in years. I'm extremely new to rifles and scopes but enjoy shooting it as much as my Bushnell tactical elite 1-6x
    AKA: SkyLine1

Site Supporter
    I had one for my AR, in a Bobro mount. It was a dandy little scope. I only sold it because I don't shoot ARs and I could be just as happy with an Aimpoint Pro and $1000 in my pocket.

FWIW: I'm a huge NF fan.

I've read that 1-6 scopes suffer vs good 1-4 scopes in the area of a most forgiving headbox. Is that valid? If it is I might weigh that heavier than 2 more power in a heavier scope.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I've read that 1-6 scopes suffer vs good 1-4 scopes in the area of a most forgiving headbox. Is that valid? If it is I might weigh that heavier than 2 more power in a heavier scope.
    It really depends on the scope, but most of the 1-6+ scopes suffer from eyebox issues at the top end of the magnification range, so that isn't really comparable because at 4 power they still have a more forgiving eyebox.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

For a 16", 5.56 general purpose rifle (0-400Y) I'm a fan of the 1x4 variables.
    I have a Meopta Meostar K-Dot on my 16" BCM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I have a NF 1-4- I like it

Also love the 2.5-10 on a gas gun

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    It really depends on the scope, but most of the 1-6+ scopes suffer from eyebox issues at the top end of the magnification range, so that isn't really comparable because at 4 power they still have a more forgiving eyebox.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2
    4 vs 6 oh. Yeah.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List