Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Establishing reliability.

Establishing reliability.

What standard do you set? What does a gun have to do before it is put into a defensive role? Is there a widely accepted standard somewhere?

For me, 500 FMJ's and at least 200 of the JHP I'm going to carry have to run flawlessly before it gets considered for social purposes. Is this acceptable?

The guns that I apply the 500/200 standard to are guns with a well established track record I. E. Glock etc.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

The typical answer I've seen is 1000 rounds of your carry ammo without a gun related malfunction.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    The typical answer I've seen is 1000 rounds of your carry ammo without a gun related malfunction.
    For me, 1,000-rounds of range ammo and ~30-50 rounds of defense ammo. Then I call it good. Anymore, I run a new gun through a class and if it runs as expected, then it's good-to-go.

We are diminished
    200-500rd of carry ammo and I'm happy. A gun I'm going to ccw is getting shot a lot the first day and the first week and the first month.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Holy expensive range trips Batman.

$30.00x20=$600 for 1000 GDHPs. Assuming 9mm and 50rd boxes. That's almost three cases of 9mm range ammo.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

I don't have a problem carrying a service pistol from a top tier manufacturer after 100 rounds of FMJ and a 20 round box of carry ammo.
    If I picked up another H&K P2000 tomorrow I'd have zero reservations about carrying it after a 120 round range session. Heck I'd carry it after running a magazine or two of carry ammo through it and not lose any sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    Holy expensive range trips Batman.

$30.00x20=$600 for 1000 GDHPs. Assuming 9mm and 50rd boxes. That's almost three cases of 9mm range ammo.
    Yes I agree, I can't afford to do it either but that is the typical answer I see given. I'm happy at 1,000 rounds of range ammo and 100 - 200 rounds of what I will carry in it.

I went to try and find the source for the "1000 rounds of your carry ammo" rule, I could find quotes of the quote but once I found the source it seems those quotes weren't quoting the original source correctly. The original source seems to be from DocGKR but he doesn't say to fire 1000 rounds of your carry ammo thru the gun before carrying it. He says:

"Whatever you choose, make sure you fire at least 500 and preferably 1000 failure free shots through your pistol prior to carrying it. If your pistol cannot fire at least 1000 consecutive shots without a malfunction, something is wrong and it is not suitable for duty/self-defense use."

Then followed by:

"Purchase a consistent, robust performing duty/self-defense load in sufficient quantities (at least 1000 rounds) then STOP worrying about the nuances of handgun ammunition terminal performance."

So am I correct to take it to be 1000 failure free rounds of any variety of ammo?

Source for DocGKR quotes: http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887

I'm in agreement on the 200-500 round area for carry, if it runs 100% thru that range I'm comfortable I've established reliability.
    It takes me a whole lot more than that to be comfortable that I've established proficiency though. I'm a slow learner so I don't change much but when I do, that pistol gets lots of rounds before I'll carry it.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Rverdi View Post
    It takes me a whole lot more than that to be comfortable that I've established proficiency though. I'm a slow learner so I don't change much but when I do, that pistol gets lots of rounds before I'll carry it.
    I just want to +1 this about ten thousand times.

User Tag List