Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rounds forward or rounds backward in Mag placement

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    What's "misleading"?

From my Motorola StarTAC.
    Maybe it is just misleading to me because I am not as smart as some. I read it as you advocating for the bullets rearward crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Ever get confused between the two? Serious question. I don't shoot enough rifle to have thought about this. I keep the latter forward.
    I do the same as pdb, hasn't presented any issues. When I saw all the cool kids doing rifle bullets forward I gave it a try, just didn't work at all for me. Went back to my "beer can grip" (as I was taught).

Quote Originally Posted by pdb View Post
    Pistol mags: bullets forward. Rifle mags: bullets to the rear. Am I weird?
    Seems natural to do it that way... And it helps an AR mag is curved.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Luckily for Pincus he doesn't believe in shot timers, either. A lot of USPSA guys like Stoeger run bullets out.

From my Motorola StarTAC.
    Target grades your accuracy, timer grades your time. You can take so long your accuracy wont' matter....even in bullseye!

Bullets out is popular in competition and it may add bulk to concealed carry. It's probably not as popular because not many (if anyone) is making concealed carry bullets out magazine carriers. The ghost mag pouches for bullets out now are pretty bulky..
    A71593

Site Supporter
    I'm a rounds forward guy, I'v tried mags facing rearward it seemed very awkward to me.
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    If I am not mistaken bullets out, with the mag rotated 90 degrees to what we call normal, still uses the same grip as bullets forward.
    Yes, this has been my experience with the Safariland "bullets out" duty belt carriers.

I run and we teach bullets forward / facing centerline for pistol using the index finger for reloads and bullets to the rear/away from centerline with a "beer can" grip for rifle. The different grips seem to prevent any confusion.

For those running horizontal pistol mag carriers we teach strong side with bullets facing up and the same index finger reload technique.

For those who don't follow the foregoing we at least try to get the to face all of their mags the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Ever get confused between the two? Serious question. I don't shoot enough rifle to have thought about this. I keep the latter forward.
    I wear bullets forward with my rifle mags. It just seems more natural to me. But I have long fingers and gripping the rifle mag properly in that position is probably easier for me.

This perhaps is a good topic to employ some critical thinking on and explain the "why" and "why not" instead of making fun of minority-opinion instructors or just parroting dogma or reporting what you see.

So...

WHY?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    This perhaps is a good topic to employ some critical thinking on and explain the "why" and "why not" instead of making fun of minority-opinion instructors or just parroting dogma or reporting what you see.

So...

WHY?

I was a bullets rear person for years. One trip to the range I forgot my mag pouch and had to borrow a friend's, which happened to be BF. After I figured out how to grab them, my fumbles reduced and my speed averaged out a little better. That's my "why"

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    In my case, I found that the grip I had on rear-facing mags - the beer-can grip - gave me less control on insertion than indexing my finger along the front of the mag. Occasionally I'd blow a reload, getting the mag in on an angle and having to wiggle it a bit on the way in.

Going to a forward-facing mag and indexing my finger solved that. I also find it a little easier to transition to the palm to drive the mag in from the finger index than the beer-can as I'm not slowing down to get my thumb out of the way. That aspect could probably be addressed if I kept my thumb flagged and just grabbed the mag with my fingers but at that point I think you've really lost any "it's more ergonomic" argument.

So I can't specifically quantify data on the subject but my reloads are cleaner and better with the index finger approach than otherwise.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Site Supporter
    Why bullets forward:

• pointing with index finger is more "natural"
    • allows for easier trap and grab of closed front concealment garment
    • can be done with locked or nearly locked wrists
    • provides more positive method of seating magazine
    • more seamless transition to "freestyle" grip. I guess this wouldn't matter if you rack the slide to send it forward.

User Tag List