Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: .22LR rifle

I guess I should have clarified that the primary user of the rifle will be me. But, I do want something friendly for my young son(s) and wife as well. I'd like to stick with irons for now and maybe a bipod. Purely for fun and plinking.

I did consider a bolt-action (CZ to be specific). Not opposed to that but there is the matter of finding one. The semis are a lot more plentiful.

If I do go the 10/22 route, is there any reason to go with the vintage model over the modern one. Or not?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    I will go against the grain and vote for one of the many outstanding CZ bolt action rifles in 22 LR.
    Another vote for a 455 lux in .22lr...one of the nicest, most accurate rifles in and far above that price range. I have a .22WMR version & it's one of my favorite guns.

Let's keep in mind that the OP is on a budget.

Personally, I'd save for an M&P 15/22 or just find a decent budget bolt gun.
    #RESIST

Perhaps the Ruger American Rimfire 22LR?

Bolt gun with an adjustable trigger.

Threaded barrel option for suppressed subs.

Takes 10/22 mags for future interchangeability should a 10/22 show up later.

Interchangeable butt stock modules for low or high combs well as LOP.

18" or 22" barrel.

Just another option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would think 15-22 for a semi-auto and the Ruger American Rimfire for a bolt gun.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

If I do go the 10/22 route, is there any reason to go with the vintage model over the modern one. Or not?
    FWIW, my take is that the receiver is better on the old ones due to a lack of plastic and/or manufacturing shortcuts. I think the newer barrels are better though. At my LGS, we see a fair amount of guys looking for the older rifles for customizing.

Hot set up may be to get the older rifle and save up for a better barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    I would think 15-22 for a semi-auto and the Ruger American Rimfire for a bolt gun.
    Agreed. Not too expensive, either. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=461216847
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Let's keep in mind that the OP is on a budget.

Personally, I'd save for an M&P 15/22 or just find a decent budget bolt gun.
    Yes – I'd like to stay under $400, willing to go above that for a smokin' deal.

Was looking at the Ruger American as well. Ruger is pretty "meh" to me though the one pistol I own of theirs has been completely fine.

It doesn't seen like I'd go very wrong with a 15-22 or 10/22, or a CZ / Ruger / Savage bolt action. It's more a matter of hunting for a deal with the optimum price / value package.

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    Yes – I'd like to stay under $400, willing to go above that for a smokin' deal.

Was looking at the Ruger American as well. Ruger is pretty "meh" to me though the one pistol I own of theirs has been completely fine.

It doesn't seen like I'd go very wrong with a 15-22 or 10/22, or a CZ / Ruger / Savage bolt action. It's more a matter of hunting for a deal with the optimum price / value package.
    Were it my kid, I'd get a bolt gun.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Were it my kid, I'd get a bolt gun.
    Agreed.
    For building fundamentals, nothing makes the shooter work as hard for each shot as the bolt.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

User Tag List