Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: .22LR rifle

.22LR rifle

My oldest boys seems ready to graduate from his CMP single shot daisy air rifle and I'm looking at both M&P 15-22s and Ruger 10/22s. While it seems like the 15-22 might be the better option (closer to my AR, perhaps more fun to shoot) budget considerations are driving me towards the 10/22.

Saw a cool 10/22 compact for under $300 which I am considering. That being said I also found a pristine 1968 10/22 for well under $350. Would the older model be worth it over the newer version? Would I really regret not putting the extra dollars towards the 15-22?

Reliability is a prime requirement.

Start the boy off right with a 10/22. He will find the black scary rifles later in life and appreciate that old wooden 10/22 his daddy got him.

If you're like me, you'll find the 10/22 sights are not everything you'd want them to be (for a trainer); a lot of people are spending another $100. to remedy that. So, if you take that cost into consideration, the price differences becomes moot.

M&P 15-22. I got one for my daughter. Bought pink furniture for it. Soon as she's ready I'll put the pink on. Til then, dad uses the black. Runs great. Accurate.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I will go against the grain and vote for one of the many outstanding CZ bolt action rifles in 22 LR.

Personally, I found that I enjoyed a bolt gun more as a kid than I did a semi-auto, once the novelty of mag-dumping wore off. Kind of like driving a stick shift instead of an automatic, I felt like I was DOING more when I shot a bolt-gun. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    Personally, I found that I enjoyed a bolt gun more as a kid than I did a semi-auto, once the novelty of mag-dumping wore off. Kind of like driving a stick shift instead of an automatic, I felt like I was DOING more when I shot a bolt-gun. YMMV.
    ^This. It's likely the older he gets the greater the fascination with semiautos, the easiest to run. I've got two adult Soldier sons fluent in lever actions and semis but adverse to bolts and pumps for lack of early socialization with them. I fooked that up.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    I will go against the grain and vote for one of the many outstanding CZ bolt action rifles in 22 LR.
    That.
    #RESIST

Another vote for a bolt gun. Of all the feats of gun handling I've seen, the most impressive to me is someone who knows how to run a bolt gun with authority.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I vote for a bolt action also. One with good iron sights. CZ and savage come well recommended, savage even has some "tactical" ones if your boy is into that.

Sent from my iPhone, I apologize in advance for typos.

User Tag List