Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The perfect packing revolver. A quest.

Site Supporter
    I think the closest your gonna get is that 325 thunder ranch. The 45acp and auto rim in the revolver is easy to get 45 super or mild 44 mag. With the rail you can use a light an laser when you want and I think night sights are possible. There are laser grips also. If you went with a 45 colt mountain gun you could get it cut for moon clips and run acp also. Here's my last wild idea (for this thread) get the 325 tr have a 45 colt cylinder put in that's cut for moon clips but I don't think it would work cause the 325 tr uses a short cylinder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I think I'd like to try one.

What do you have for the drop, backer piece and the magazine carrier? Do you have a pic of it off of you, or a pic that shows the holster well?
    Not for a revolver, but this is the ALS rig config I prefer most:

http://www.holsterops.com/rogers-rec...ctical-holster

There are many bits and pieces that allow you to customize it to various heights, belts, configs.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I've been trying to look at them in searches, the old computer I'm using at the moment isnt cooperating. Half the images dont load and I get lots of stuck computer issues and "Not Responding" notices. What I've seen looks interesting.

The basic holster looks good for general carry. It's likely I'll be in more civilized environs at some point. Trying to think ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    What about the S&W 325 Thunder Ranch? With hard cast 45 Auto Rim loads.
    Thought they quit making them awhile back. Don't see the rail mentioned on a Smith webpage, though there are images elsewhere. That would work I suppose, but awfully high priced. A hardcast 250 SWC at 1,000 fps ought to do pretty well for bonking cows & cow ponies in the head.

I used a Weigand base to put a Micro H-1 on my 629 Mountain, but found it kinda unwieldy. Does anyone make a lower rail for Smiths?

Quote Originally Posted by coldcase1984 View Post
    Thought they quit making them awhile back. Don't see the rail mentioned on a Smith webpage, though there are images elsewhere. That would work I suppose, but awfully high priced. A hardcast 250 SWC at 1,000 fps ought to do pretty well for bonking cows & cow ponies in the head.

I used a Weigand base to put a Micro H-1 on my 629 Mountain, but found it kinda unwieldy. Does anyone make a lower rail for Smiths?
    I recently got the same mount to run a red dot on a revolver. I am planning on getting the entire front half of the mount milled off. It was obviously made for a scope rather than a small red dot.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    I recently got the same mount to run a red dot on a revolver. I am planning on getting the entire front half of the mount milled off. It was obviously made for a scope rather than a small red dot.
    Is anyone making a barrel mounted base that would work with an RDS so that the rear sight doesnt have to be removed?

AimTech makes that side plate mount.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Great responses all.

The auto rim sounds interesting, but honestly I have no intention of adding another caliber to reload. In fact I only shoot .44 Magnum brass, though most of my reloading for the caliber is at the Special level. I'm trying to minimize the assortment of stuff I reload as it is. In fact I've been strongly considering divesting myself of .40/10mm. The 9mm and .45 do all I need recreationally, with the exception of USPSA. That is the only reason I have .40 anything, and due to my lack of ability to travel to many matches, I've strongly considered going back to shooting .45 in limited class and simplify things.

In regards to the topic, I was actually interested in the path that others had taken and where they were hardware wise, as well as geographically.

The closest thing to perfection I've found is my 5" 29-2. I cannot help to think of the same gun with a model 24 barrel. Like malamute, I like the lines of the tapered barrel, as well as the savings weight wise. If I knew of a model 24 barrel for sale, I'd likely jump on it for just such a future project.

Same goes for a 624 barrel. Aesthetically speaking I prefer blued over stainless, but stainless makes sense for an outdoorsman gun.

I have to agree about the .38 versus .357. I too much prefer the lower noise level of the .38s over the sharp crack of.357s. If I think I need .357 power, I will gladly pack a .44 or .45 revolver.

I recently acquired a 329 and its a phenomenal gun to pack, but I think I prefer just a tad more weight, when it comes to shooting comfort. It's good up to hot .44 special velocities, but after that it can be a bit uncomfortable.

One thing I have considered is watching how the cylinder holds up to wear and potentially replacing it with a stainless steel one. This would add a bit of weight for shooting comfort, as well as perhaps (speculation) durability.

So far, this is as close to perfection as I've experienced:

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    The closest thing to perfection I've found is my 5" 29-2. I cannot help to think of the same gun with a model 24 barrel. Like malamute, I like the lines of the tapered barrel, as well as the savings weight wise. If I knew of a model 24 barrel for sale, I'd likely jump on it for just such a future project.

Aesthetically speaking I prefer blued over stainless, but stainless makes sense for an outdoorsman gun.
    I hadnt thought of a 5" 29 with regular weight barrel, that would be a nice carry and shooting gun. I've had a couple 6 and 6 1/2" guns, they are a bit softer shooting than the 4" with heavy loads.

The 5" 24 barrel on a 29 is on my list for one day in the future. I have a Smith replacement front sight and ramp also. Cutting that barrel to 5" after setting the forcing cone forward for the magnum cylinder will get into the ramp some, so it wouldnt be easy to reuse the ramp.

Several years ago, a gunsmith I know sold me some take-off barrels from guns he'd rebarreled with heavy barrels for pin guns or whatever. The 24 barrel was one of them. It was unfired when he got the gun to do the work. The 5" lugged barrel I tried was one of them. I ended up selling the barrel after trying it.

I agree about stainless being practical, I just hobble along with blued guns though. When they get rust, it often wears off after a while from carrying them.
    Last edited by Malamute; 01-01-2015 at 08:02 PM.

I think the mountain west is more tolerant of a blued finish than Alaska, where stainless is very desirable in a wheel gun.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List