Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The perfect packing revolver. A quest.

Don't rule out the .45LC. You can still find Mountain Guns in 45LC and Buffalo Bore makes outstanding standard pressure ammo that is accurate and easy to shoot; pricey though.

No current revolver can meet your criteria. With enough money thrown at a later 629 for a custom 5-in. Mountain Revolver profile barrel and detachable accessory rail would work, but way over 329 weight.

You could always get your good ol' G21's slide machined for RDS of choice and run Super w 255 SWCs, or go wild and snag a G40 when they come out and do RDS and DT 200 WFNGCs or handloads.

They just don't have the style of a revolver, though...

Lost River,

You do seem to be asking for a 10MM 1911;-)

I love revolvers, but when you want lasers/rds/light mount, that says 1911 to me. I may be a bit biased though;-)

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If it isn't .44/.45, I would say it is 10mm. And if it is 10mm, the perfect packing field revolver is a Glock 29, 1066 or 1911.
    Do yof think condition 1 carry in a fast access rig is a concern for your thick stuff? I've heard plenty that this was a weak spot for the 1911 in recent war zones.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by coldcase1984 View Post
    No current revolver can meet your criteria.
    What about the S&W 325 Thunder Ranch? With hard cast 45 Auto Rim loads.

If it isn't .44/.45, I would say it is 10mm. And if it is 10mm, the perfect packing field revolver is a Glock 29, 1066 or 1911.
    .44 mag desire makes me think more .460 Rowland in a 1911/plastic pistol replacement. 10mm can do 220gr, but .460 can do 255 or even 300 gr hard cast (the latter if you reload).

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Do yof think condition 1 carry in a fast access rig is a concern for your thick stuff? I've heard plenty that this was a weak spot for the 1911 in recent war zones.
    Not GJM.

I think that your concern is more about holster design and carry, less about pistol type. I've hunted 2 and 4 legged animals with 1911's in almost every type of clime, and have never had it be an issue. I've also seen our mil and LE people carry guns in all sorts of crazy ways, so I'm sure you can make it a problem if you want to. IME, the 6004 type retention holster has led to more of these kinds of problems than any other type of retention holster. Of course, if you're using a true "fast access rig", that could be very bad as well. An ALS has always kept my guns where I wanted them and released them when needed, regardless of clime.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Don't rule out the .45LC. You can still find Mountain Guns in 45LC and Buffalo Bore makes outstanding standard pressure ammo that is accurate and easy to shoot; pricey though.
    I like the 45 Colt in SA guns. The weight difference and balance difference compared to the 44 on the same frame is enough to keep me interested in the 45's and not the 44's. A DA 45 Colt would be a good general purpose gun, it would be best with tight chambers, to reduce the chance of the rims getting under the extractor star. Most factories cut them pretty loose. John Linebaugh cuts them at .480" and says they make the cases last longer and give a little better velocity. If a 45 Colt Mountain Gun barrel could be had, it would make a nice build on a N frame 357 or 44 with chambers cut tight.

The light rail and RDS are out of my range of experience. They may be good ideas, I just havent used them. Decent night sights may be enough to make me happy. I have a light on a 44 carbine, but havent had one on a pistol. So far, I'm really happy with basic, simple revolvers for daily carry and mountain use.

The 44 spl model 24 seems like a good balance when G bears arent anticipated, and I still think I'd prefer it to an auto loader in that regard. It has the tapered barrel, which makes it a little lighter, and, as Keith wrote, it hits to the same point of aim with various loads if the bullet weight is the same. 6 1/2 grs Unique and 17 grs 2400 with the Lyman 250 gr bullet hit exactly the same point of aim at 25 yards for me.

I have a 6 1/2" 24 barrel. I think it would make up into a nice carry gun cut to 5" and screwed onto a model 29. I tried the lugged barrel 5" and didnt like it as much as the regular 6" or 4" 29's.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Not GJM.

I think that your concern is more about holster design and carry, less about pistol type. I've hunted 2 and 4 legged animals with 1911's in almost every type of clime, and have never had it be an issue. I've also seen our mil and LE people carry guns in all sorts of crazy ways, so I'm sure you can make it a problem if you want to. IME, the 6004 type retention holster has led to more of these kinds of problems than any other type of retention holster. Of course, if you're using a true "fast access rig", that could be very bad as well. An ALS has always kept my guns where I wanted them and released them when needed, regardless of clime.
    The last two years, I ran a .40 or 10mm pistol in an ALS holster hunting in Alaska. It worked well as it kept the handgun below my pack waist belt, kept the pistol more accessible when wearing various layers including a float vest, and kept the pistol secure when hunting out of an inflatable canoe.

I am suffering here, humping a 100 pound load of moose meat through the wet over to the canoe:

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The last two years, I ran a .40 or 10mm pistol in an ALS holster hunting in Alaska. It worked well as it kept the handgun below my pack waist belt, kept the pistol more accessible when wearing various layers including a float vest, and kept the pistol secure when hunting out of an inflatable canoe...

I think I'd like to try one.

What do you have for the drop, backer piece and the magazine carrier? Do you have a pic of it off of you, or a pic that shows the holster well?

User Tag List