Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The perfect packing revolver. A quest.

Site Supporter
    I
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Here's my newest favorite single action:

Its a Flattop .45 Convertible. I replaced the stainless grip frame for an aluminum one to reduce the weight. Additionally, I had the standard hammer replaced with a Bisley hammer.
    I run it primarily with the ACP cylinder. The ACP cylinder loaded with Gold Dots or old Hydra-shoks for defense or larger game use, and my old USPSA load of a 200 grain LSWC for small game hunting/plinking/target use.

Im not a super huge single action fan, but this one "speaks to me."

Nice wheelie there with great scenery, makes me regret selling mine.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Who knows. At some point they started not only making 3" 686+ guns with unfluted cylinders for Talo but they started making the 3" 686+ a regular cataloged item without, at least afaik, any real notice whatsoever.

The chances of lopping an inch off the 69 is better than average.
    I'm down for an e mail campaign.

Personally if starting over, I could be totally happy with a .44 special. That said, I shoot a bunch of .44 mag, so I just use mag brass and download to special levels. Just having one type of brass, and never having to readjust the dies works for me.

A nice skinny barreled .44 special could certainly make the list as a top contender for "perfection". The .44 special is a very capable and very underrated cartridge these days.
    I could be pretty happy with a 44 spl also. The 4" 24 is a really nice gun for general carry. As much as I like my old 29, the 24 is nicer to carry. I keep a few Keith loads in the belt, but mostly its loaded with 250's @ about 850 fps. A load running around 1000 fps would cover most uses other than grizzlies.

I have a 6 1/2" 24 barrel. I keep thinking it would be nice cut to 5" and installed on a 29.

The Browning 92 wont run on the Lyman/Keith bullet loaded in magnum cases without serious carrier work. It does, however, work perfectly with the 429421 loaded in spl cases.

There is very little an outdoorsman cannot accomplish with a properly loaded .44, combined with a sharp eye and steady hand.

The trouble is, of course, that very often those sharp eyes disappear somewhere and one day you wake up and can't figure out where you left them.

Which, of course, is something a good .44 will never do.

We need more .44's.

There is very little an outdoorsman cannot accomplish with a properly loaded .44, combined with a sharp eye and steady hand.
    Agree. I also like the 45 Colt in a single action.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    The trouble is, of course, that very often those sharp eyes disappear somewhere and one day you wake up and can't figure out where you left them.

Which, of course, is something a good .44 will never do.

We need more .44's.
    Yeah, whats up with the eyes thing anyway?

Have you tried the Merit device? I keep forgetting about mine, but its nothing short of amazing for deliberate shooting work.

I'm coming around to the idea of a scope on a pistol.

Picking at my house is getting very hard.............this is just a sample of the recent DA stuff........my Single Actions are equally impressive.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 05-11-2015 at 03:39 PM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Picking at my house is getting very hard.............this is just a sample of the recent DA stuff........my Single Actions are equally impressive.
    In Alaska, we would say "son, that shows promise."
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

This is from a post I did on Lightfighter in regards to two guns that are REALLY packing pistols and make sense for each's role.

So, as most know since I have finally really settled on the HK VP 9 and a J frame BUG as my everyday, normal boring carry package, I have focused hard on mass revolver accumulation out of sheer passion. Lots of cool stuff with insane custom leather and plenty of nice grips. Along with that, I have also grabbed two soul less revolvers (internal locks where there soul leaks out) that have become solid tools. Both are performance center guns that were bought used. Both can be replaced. Both have excellent triggers and high quality feel.
    One is the gun I carry in the car as a counter car jack gun that is easily accessed and not on my body, and will also be my NY gun. It is an 8 shot 627 with a 2 5/8" barrel.
    The other is a 4" .44 Mag that is a great 4 legged critter outdoor carry gun. It will likely get a red dot at some point. For now, easy to carry well built .44 That I would rather get wet and muddy fishing than a classic blued model 29.
    Essentially, one is an urban revolver and the other an outdoors revolver that are very modern and different from revolvers of our past (particularly Smith's). Different lock up,hammers, small parts, barrel attachment and sights. Both are also essentially size and weight minimums for running with full house factory magnum ammunition without being horrifically painful. With that said, as much as they sort of offend my senses, they are a practical "pure tool" solution rather than an emotional solution.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    What a line up! That 27/28 with stag grips is particularly impressive.

User Tag List