Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The perfect packing revolver. A quest.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    .45 Colt would be a GREAT Koala Bear round...:-).

They were not issued to us. We were issued 4" Model 15's. They purposely gave me the biggest piece of crap they could find that soured me badly to the Model 15 (I just inherited a nice one). The Model 15's were home guns, drawer guns, and spent a ton of locker time. The model 25-5's were individually purchased. I can only remember 1 female (who should not have had a gun or been a cop at all) and one male officer of a couple hundred who carried the model 15. Everyone else carried the .45 Colt. The other big users at the time were Long Beach PD and National City (Nasty City). It seemed like the agency's that carried them also used Saps a lot and had reputations for no tolerance of criminals and were very busy places.
    Sorry for the delayed reply I've been out of coms for the last 9 or so days.
    I have a 15-2 with a 4" barrel it's a nice little wheelgun I like it for what it is. I'm sure it would work for most things you could ask of it... I have a heap of 125gr+p SJHP for it as well as some 158gr lead target loads. That being said if I had to pick a revolver for a do it all type thing the Mod 15 comes close but the 25 for me edges it out.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Man, I wish saps were legal here in IL...but I did take care of an elderly gentleman at my old job who carried a bucheimer slapper around in his back pocket. He had to switch his cane to his other hand to get to it, but it was a gorgeous piece of work, presumably from when he did something requiring him to bust head...
    1" coaxial cable work pretty well... So I heard.

Just a note on cattle...........DO NOT TASER them........trust me on this one
    You ever get to taser someone in the shower ? That's entertaining.
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ldunnmobile View Post
    What would be wrong with this? Too heavy?

http://www.ruger.com/products/redhaw...eets/5027.html

Stainless Ruger Redhawk with 4" barrel in 45LC/44

I used to have a Blackhawk and liked it.
    One of my friends has a Super Redhawk in 454 with a 6" barrel it sure is nice and quite easy to shoot.

I have had a few shots out of it it's pretty accurate at 25yds at least. I would love to take it out on pigs and the like... But handgun hunting isn't legal over here anymore.

It seems pretty well built to me.
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

I carry a 6" Freedom Arms .475 Linebaugh in cross draw chest holster when fishing in country with big bears around.
    The .475 Linebaugh can also be loaded down to .44 Magnum power quite nicely, so no need to take a beating all the time for practice and other duties.

Hoyt's or similar (AE Nelson) types of holsters with triple speed loader cases that looked like they held tomato paste cans
    What a great thread! Beavertail saps, big frame Smith's..... All that's missing is mention of Dade Screw Machine company and the old 18" long RCA portables and the TJ Hooker Fury's with the mega motors and minimal brakes.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I think print on demand and e-book publishing have changed the economics of book writing a bit, but it still might not be worth your time. While you'll almost certainly not get rich from it, you're unlikely to lose much money either.
    True, as long as you view the writing and editing on a hobby basis. A lot of people have gone down the e-book self-published and the ones who have made real money at it, like Marko Kloos, are few and far between.

Quote Originally Posted by ldunnmobile View Post
    What would be wrong with this? Too heavy?

http://www.ruger.com/products/redhaw...eets/5027.html

Stainless Ruger Redhawk with 4" barrel in 45LC/44

I used to have a Blackhawk and liked it.

I have a 4" .44 Redhawk. Shown here with an older .45 convertible Blackhawk.

The RH is a serious tank of a sidearm, and with the longer cylinder it can handle some pretty hot, heavy for caliber loads. While the DA trigger is not as nice as most my Smiths, it is certainly plenty good enough for a field gun.

My lovely bride actually purchased the RH for me a number of years ago, as an anniversary gift. Gotta love her.

Last edited by Lost River; 03-14-2015 at 11:13 PM. Reason: pic added

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    While the DA trigger is not as nice as most my Smiths, it is certainly plenty good enough for a field gun.
    Shoot/dry-fire it and it'll get there. I purchased my RH in 2005ish (gently used) and followed up with a LNIB 4" 629 in 2010. The RH DA trigger is far superior to the 629's DA trigger. The 629 wins out on SA trigger pull, but that's mainly academic as I shoot my DA revolvers DA almost exclusively.

Chris

The trigger is serviceable. But I'm sure a few thousand dry fires might improve it.

Ruger Alaskan 44 in Gunfighters Inc. Kenai chest rig. Speedloader pouch is The Wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Site Supporter
    I've always liked tapered-barrel N-frames. There is something about the way they look that just... does it for me. That being said, it certainly doesn't meet meet all the OPs requirements (light/optic mount).

A few years back, I picked up a LNIB S&W 22 Thunder Ranch in .45 ACP (the blued TR gun, not the tacti-cool one). I sold it to a buddy in a moment of weakness and he absolutely refuses to let me buy it back. So, maybe a year or so ago, an honest-to-goodness 4" Triple Lock in .44 SPL sorta fell into my lap. I still can't bring myself to carry it as a woods gun though. If something were to happen to it out in the bush, I'm not sure I could forgive myself.

One of these days, I hope to work up the courage to use it on a hog hunt. I'd be the coolest guy for miles... even if just in my own mind

User Tag List