Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The perfect packing revolver. A quest.

Quote Originally Posted by coldcase1984 View Post
    our BUG/OD approved list doesn't include .44-cals sometimes pack the 57-2, but like the way the 255 STs smack things from my big fat Vaquero.
    This just reminds me of Jim Cirillo. He talked about how at the beginning of his time on Stakeout squad, the department required officers to carry a .38 Special on duty. But the backup gun was completely open, so Cirillo chose a custom 4" .357 to serve as his "backup" gun. If I recall, Paul Kirchner talked about it in 'Tales of the Stakeout Squad'...

RE: Impact weapons. I would never carry a blackjack or sap, because they are illegal. But if one did carry one, an 8-ounce "cablejack" from Foster would make a fine choice, I think. A little less spring to it, so it hits more like a sap, but large enough it can be swung or held in the fist and snapped out with a quick jab. I keep meaning to investigate saps, something in the way of a small midget, strictly for educational purposes, of course.

-Rob

Site Supporter
    Man, I wish saps were legal here in IL...but I did take care of an elderly gentleman at my old job who carried a bucheimer slapper around in his back pocket. He had to switch his cane to his other hand to get to it, but it was a gorgeous piece of work, presumably from when he did something requiring him to bust head...

I think if I had to pick a "Go to" revolver, it'd automatically be a 4" 586...because those guns are just sexy. A hot loaded 158 grain magnum round should drive pretty deep, but I will admit that if I were needing to stop a large, angry cow or something of the like, I'd probably opt for a SA revolver in .44 of some sort purely on the basis that they are easier to shoot in larger calibers. Of course, that'd just be an excuse for me to get something from Freedom Arms

Worth noting, a lack of weight is not what one is looking for in a magnum gun. Not if you're going to be shooting magnum loads, and if you want to stop a big heifer, you need heifer worthy bullets and those cost recoil. I understand the concept of "carry a lot, shoot a little" type guns, but the practical application of carrying a gun you don't practice with is entirely lost on me.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    This thread is making want a 25 Mountain Gun in a BAD way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    You're not alone
    Quote Originally Posted by coldcase1984 View Post
    I need a svelte .45 Mountain...
    Group buy!
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Perhaps you should also practice your muc skills - managing unknown cows - as well?

On a side note, cattle are surprisingly easy to kill. I've also never felt the need to kill one in self defense... they are easily avoidable.. they certainly can be a harm to each other though.

Just a note on cattle...........DO NOT TASER them........trust me on this one
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

So where are the pics of this magical Bowen 454 Alaskan?
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Just a note on cattle...........DO NOT TASER them........trust me on this one
    Do tell.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Do tell.

Chris
    One our our guys tried this on an escaped Dairy cow in traffic........it turns them into PBR class Bulls. Thankfully, graveyard with few witnesses. This is what happens when city cops call in the good idea fairy. I wasn't there, but I remember hearing on the radio "I am going to Taz it" and thinking......."boy, that sounds like a bad idea". The screaming on the radio confirmed that it did not have the intended response.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    This just reminds me of Jim Cirillo. He talked about how at the beginning of his time on Stakeout squad, the department required officers to carry a .38 Special on duty. But the backup gun was completely open...

-Rob
    If I heard correctly, one of the LEOs who sometimes shoots at our matches used to carry a Redhawk chambered in 460 Rowland as his "backup" until the powers that be rewrote their policy.

I don't know what they called it, but I recall a conversation where a couple "old school" guys spoke well of a sap that was described as a leather pork chop filled with shot.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    One our our guys tried this on an escaped Dairy cow in traffic........it turns them into PBR class Bulls. Thankfully, graveyard with few witnesses. This is what happens when city cops call in the good idea fairy. I wasn't there, but I remember hearing on the radio "I am going to Taz it" and thinking......."boy, that sounds like a bad idea". The screaming on the radio confirmed that it did not have the intended response.
    You ever think about writing a book?

User Tag List