Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The perfect packing revolver. A quest.

The requirements I laid out for mine were more of a theoretical wants list. I highly doubt a one true perfect revolver will ever be built. I am immensely happy with my 5" Model 29 for an overall piece. The thread is also an opportunity for others to discuss what their idea for a PP revolver would be/ is.

Personally if starting over, I could be totally happy with a .44 special. That said, I shoot a bunch of .44 mag, so I just use mag brass and download to special levels. Just having one type of brass, and never having to readjust the dies works for me.

A nice skinny barreled .44 special could certainly make the list as a top contender for "perfection". The .44 special is a very capable and very underrated cartridge these days.

Btw,

I would not hesitate to carry your Triple Lock in the outdoors. If you don't enjoy it for what it is, someone else will when you pass on. I have a couple of "collector" type pieces, and I hunt with them, pack them in the mountains, etc. Life is short, enjoy what pleases you while you can.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Luckily I got several years in with them. Best LE impact weapon out there-period. Luckily, even after the saps went away, we could still use full size metal flashlights as impact weapons. They were very effective. The biggest difference was the saps tended not to draw blood while the lights made a huge mess when you zapped a dude in the head.
    A fact lost on many upper level admin types, most of whom never struck anybody with anything more forceful than a polite request.

Quote Originally Posted by PD Sgt. View Post
    A fact lost on many upper level admin types, most of whom never struck anybody with anything more forceful than a polite request.
    Oh mine were tougher. They tended to use the harsh tone memo, and the "red pen" when they really meant business. What is kind of funny is that when you do spelling and grammatical corrections to their memo's in red pen and send it back to them, they get all pissy about it.........
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Oh mine were tougher. They tended to use the harsh tone memo, and the "red pen" when they really meant business. What is kind of funny is that when you do spelling and grammatical corrections to their memo's in red pen and send it back to them, they get all pissy about it.........
    Same here, I was talking about their dealings with the public, who were not as likely to be bound to the appreciation of rank and test taking skills.

Back to the original topic, I have one of the 3" 625-7s in .45 Colt, and that makes for a very nice carry gun. The only down side to it for me at least, is it is the rarest gun I own, and I do not take it too many places besides the range anymore. I also have a 696 .44 Spl., and that carries very well. I even have a VMII for it, and it is not uncomfortable IWB. The only downside is heavier loads are not recommended with the thinner forcing cone on that model.

If Smith came out with a 3" model 69, that would get a lot of holster time for me. As it is I am thinking about picking up the 4" for a woods/hiking gun (the wife wants to start doing some Appalachian Trail hikes coming up). But then I am also equally tempted to wait and search out a 3" 629 (I prefer my carry wheelguns stainless). So for me I guess I lean toward a 3" tube in one of the calibers starting in "4".

If Smith came out with a 3" model 69, that would get a lot of holster time for me.
    Suggested this at the S&W Booth at the NRA Annual Meeting ast week. No apparent interest.
    But then I am also equally tempted to wait and search out a 3" 629 (I prefer my carry wheelguns stainless). So for me I guess I lean toward a 3" tube in one of the calibers starting in "4".
    Did get to fondle one of the 2.6" stainless jobs (SKU 170135) and it's a massive beast.
    Do want, though.
    They did not have one of these that I could see: Model 629 Deluxe 3in. Barrel Textured Wood Grips.
    I'll take either...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Suggested this at the S&W Booth at the NRA Annual Meeting ast week. No apparent interest.
    That is too bad. Judging by the prices used 696s go for nowadays, combined with the ability to use Magnum rounds, you would think there would be enough demand to make production worthwhile. I personally know several guys who would jump on one in a second given the chance. Doubly so if they made it without the lock. For me, that pistol would almost perfectly bridge the gap between urban and wilderness carry, depending on ammo selection.

That is too bad. Judging by the prices used 696s go for nowadays, combined with the ability to use Magnum rounds, you would think there would be enough demand to make production worthwhile.
    I'm just an obscure gun blogger who was talking to a sales guy, if enough people ask, I'm sure they'll change their minds. Maybe Talo or Davidsons...?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    I'm just an obscure gun blogger who was talking to a sales guy, if enough people ask, I'm sure they'll change their minds. Maybe Talo or Davidsons...?
    Who knows. At some point they started not only making 3" 686+ guns with unfluted cylinders for Talo but they started making the 3" 686+ a regular cataloged item without, at least afaik, any real notice whatsoever.

The chances of lopping an inch off the 69 is better than average.

Here's my newest favorite single action:

Its a Flattop .45 Convertible. I replaced the stainless grip frame for an aluminum one to reduce the weight. Additionally, I had the standard hammer replaced with a Bisley hammer.
    I run it primarily with the ACP cylinder. The ACP cylinder loaded with Gold Dots or old Hydra-shoks for defense or larger game use, and my old USPSA load of a 200 grain LSWC for small game hunting/plinking/target use.

Im not a super huge single action fan, but this one "speaks to me".

User Tag List