Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Picking a revolver

Picking a revolver

I have always wanted a .357 revolver.
    I have looked at the K L and N frames Older models pre lock.
    The K was absolutely gorgeous no box 1000-1100. Pinned. Plum barrel.
    The Highway Patrolman was a little used it had a scratch on the cylinder but didn't look like it had ever been carried. 650.00

The L frame was stainless I think and looked rougher than both of the above for 650.00
    Then there was a N frame which I think was also 650.00.
    They were all 4" barrels and I really don't think I would go any longer.

So I don't know anything about revolvers. It's really an irrational desire. I'm probably going to mostly shoot .38's. Occasionally .357's maybe. Mostly bulls eye or I think steel target would be fun. I'm pretty sure it will be for range use only however I have always wanted to try deer hunting with a revolver.

The clerk was really helpful and very knowledgable. Would anybody here care to weigh in on this matter? +'s or -'s. to consider. Are the Prices in line?

Tough to tell as prices are so local. Around here, those prices are very high. Perhaps looking on Gunbroker will give you a better yardstick.

Yes I think I got my models mixed up. I'll check at gunbroker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    Tough to tell as prices are so local. Around here, those prices are very high. Perhaps looking on Gunbroker will give you a better yardstick.

Prices are a little high, but I would go with the Highway Patrolman. Super easy to shoot and generally shoot really well. If you are not going to daily carry it, then they also make a great home gun and outdoors gun.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    I have always wanted a .357 revolver.
    I have looked at the K L and N frames Older models pre lock.
    The K was absolutely gorgeous no box 1000-1100. Pinned. Plum barrel.
    The Highway Patrolman was a little used it had a scratch on the cylinder but didn't look like it had ever been carried. 650.00

The L frame was stainless I think and looked rougher than both of the above for 650.00
    Then there was a N frame which I think was also 650.00.
    They were all 4" barrels and I really don't think I would go any longer.

So I don't know anything about revolvers. It's really an irrational desire. I'm probably going to mostly shoot .38's. Occasionally .357's maybe. Mostly bulls eye or I think steel target would be fun. I'm pretty sure it will be for range use only however I have always wanted to try deer hunting with a revolver.

The clerk was really helpful and very knowledgable. Would anybody here care to weigh in on this matter? +'s or -'s. to consider. Are the Prices in line?
    At those prices (which seem quite high) I would look at a new 686+ or go with the Model 28--depending on how big that scratch is.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Prices are a little high, but I would go with the Highway Patrolman. Super easy to shoot and generally shoot really well. If you are not going to daily carry it, then they also make a great home gun and outdoors gun.
    +1 That's the only .357 wheelie I have now. A joy to shoot with full loads; something I never said about the 3 K frame magnums I've owned before.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I really like my L frame 681, and it works for deer hunting as well

Name:  DeadDoe.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  62.3 KB
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Yes The one I said was really gorgeous was an L frame. It had checkering on top the orange front sight a target trigger and hammer. It was 1000-1100. The patrolman was 650. Both were nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I really like my L frame 681, and it works for deer hunting as well

Name:  DeadDoe.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  62.3 KB

For pure shooting joy you can't beat the Highway Patrolman. The first time I fired a .38 in an N frame, I really thought it was a squib because the recoil was so low.

My 681 is a beater on the outside, but the trigger is butter smooth and she shoots damn near everything I load up into very small groups.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

User Tag List