Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Two ND's in a year

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    A friend of mine works in IT at a big GSE. If they make 3 mistakes that impact operations, they're gone. It's a great way to freeze all infrastructure in time, and make everyone scared to make any changes, even if it's good for the organization.
    Or worse, the other consequence-folks screw up and then become motivated to lie about it. Good luck learning from a mistake that's not even acknowledged.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    There's very little room to lie because of the monitoring systems in place. Every key click is recorded, so is your display.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    There's very little room to lie because of the monitoring systems in place. Every key click is recorded, so is your display.
    In your specific instance and in many others, true. I was referring to negligent discharges specifically though.Its a safe wager most of the DerpTube folks making vids have at least as many as Sootch if not more. Not long ago someone here freeze-framed a "Range Time" vid where the channel uploader clearly had his finger on the trigger before engaging the target.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Or worse, the other consequence-folks screw up and then become motivated to lie about it. Good luck learning from a mistake that's not even acknowledged.
    Absolutely.

Root-cause analysis is lacking in most industries/communities. The result is people getting punished instead of problems getting fixed, and the vicious cycle you mention.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    If you handle weapons enough the law of averages will dictate that sooner or later it will happen.
    I would not consider that a factually correct statement. I understand the premise but in actuality statistics don't work that way.

Example: If it is a proven fact that for every ten thousand times a gun is handled there is One Negligent Discharge does not mean that sometime between now and your 10,000th time you will have a ND. The statistical distribution of outcomes among society does not reflect the distribution of outcomes associated with an individual.

It bothers me when I hear people say it is only a matter of time before I, you or they have X happen because statistics say so.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    I would not consider that a factually correct statement. I understand the premise but in actuality statistics don't work that way.

Example: If it is a proven fact that for every ten thousand times a gun is handled there is One Negligent Discharge does not mean that sometime between now and your 10,000th time you will have a ND. The statistical distribution of outcomes among society does not reflect the distribution of outcomes associated with an individual.

It bothers me when I hear people say it is only a matter of time before I, you or they have X happen because statistics say so.
    Okay
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Ive heard the same thing about riding a motorcycle and wrecks being inevitable.
    Bullshit.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I believe Cooper was credited with saying "there are two types of gun owners, those that have had and ND and those that are going to have an ND." I never thought I'd have one until I did. That's why we follow the 4 Rules.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Bullshit.
    There are always statistical outliers, and ways to minimize risk... but it's still a good rule of thumb.

Every time I think of riding again, I feel where I got third degree burns after hitting a patch of nearly invisible oil...

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Bullshit.
    I had several near misses, and only a couple low speed slides on the pavement. I stopped before anything else happened. I rode a fair bit, 20-25K/year for several years, cross country, and lots of exploring around the state I lived in. I had several friends get killed or seriously hurt riding. I dont know if its different peoples reaction time, awareness, luck, or all of the above.

And yes, I've had a couple ND's. Nothing died and nothing expensive was hit.

User Tag List