Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MagTech First Defense Bonded

MagTech First Defense Bonded

I'm grabbing a few boxes of this stuff to try. Prices are attractive ($20-$24 per 50 round box at LGS). Has anyone tested it? Does anyone plan to test it? I've always had good luck with MagTech. I'm hoping this stiff shoots well. Will report back.

I have noted that MagTech QC appears to be top notch over the past few years going off of samples of ammo I have shot.

Last year I was at a Pat Rogers/EAG Tactical carbine course and had my ammo purchased through EAG and drop shipped to the range. I burned about 1600 rounds of the MagTech 55gr 5.56 M193 and about 500 rounds of the 115gr 9mm ball. That ammo was first quality stuff, accurate, full power, clean burning, reliable, with zero function or visual defects. Pat reported that he and his students had gone through 60,000+ rounds of the M193 that year with zero issues.

I can't speak to the wound ballistics potential of the ammo you are buying, but the QC on MagTech appears to be VERY good.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I have noted that MagTech QC appears to be top notch over the past few years going off of samples of ammo I have shot.

Last year I was at a Pat Rogers/EAG Tactical carbine course and had my ammo purchased through EAG and drop shipped to the range. I burned about 1600 rounds of the MagTech 55gr 5.56 M193 and about 500 rounds of the 115gr 9mm ball. That ammo was first quality stuff, accurate, full power, clean burning, reliable, with zero function or visual defects. Pat reported that he and his students had gone through 60,000+ rounds of the M193 that year with zero issues.

I can't speak to the wound ballistics potential of the ammo you are buying, but the QC on MagTech appears to be VERY good.
    Great to hear! As of now, i have yet to hear someone have issue with MagTech Ammunition (working at a range, you hear complaints about almost every maker). Might buy a case for SHTF ammo (that was my rationale behind the case of 9BPLE i just bought, too). They are also listing a 147gr bonded... Should probably see how it shoots before i go overboard!

Magtech is great for practice ammo but for hollow points I've only been aware of their Guardian Gold line, which I haven't heard the greatest things about

My LE contacts in Brazil tell me the Magtech 115gr +P JHP works pretty good on local bad guys when launched from Glock 17s. That's about the best I can do ref their JHPs

Chuck is that the guardian load. If I remember right it has a gold colored bullet with a funky marking on the primmer.

I think I may have some left overs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Chuck is that the guardian load. If I remember right it has a gold colored bullet with a funky marking on the primmer.

I think I may have some left overs.
    Pretty sure the coppers down there use the plain vanilla stuff, I'll ask.

I've shot the .45 bonded stuff in 5 different guns so far off the bench at 20 yards. Shoots 2.25" to 2.5" in 4 of them, one a G30, was the worst at 3.75". Not in the top 3 loads in anything, seems middle of the road as far as accuracy. That being said, I've shot some 1.25" & 1.5" groups with Magtech 45A ball and 45B 230 SWC loads in the same guns.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Got some of the 124gr Bonded. Shoots well accuracy wise, recoil is comparable to (possibly a little more) the standard pressure Federal HST. Might do some ghetto expansion tests, but would love to see official tests. Plan on taking some to the William Petty Low Light Vehicle CQB course in April to see what deflection through windshield is like.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    My LE contacts in Brazil tell me the Magtech 115gr +P JHP works pretty good on local bad guys when launched from Glock 17s. That's about the best I can do ref their JHPs
    Lol. If the shooter is willing to put in Work, so is the ammo.

User Tag List