Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Good Rifle Plate options for LEO

Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    The heroism of those French cops cannot be overstated. I think their shields were on wheels though, or at least that's what I think was shown in some images.

I'm stretching my lane badly, but I believe the issue with many level III plates is they are either poly or steel. Poly (light weight) generally can stop 7.62x39 and M193, but not M855. Steel (heavy) can stop 7.62x39 and M855, but not M193. 5.56 (and maybe 5.45?) is a bitch to stop because of the velocity. Most IV are ceramic (or ceramic combo) and are rated for 30-06 single hit, but not multi-hit by NIJ definition. The plates advertised as III+ or III++ are generally within the CONUS LE threat envelope- problem is they are often heavy-ish and expensive. Finally, I don't think III+ and ++ are formal NIJ ratings, so you need to check the ratings for each specific model.

There is a thread on here from about 9 months ago where Doc gave me some great advice on plates for CONUS LE. Unfortunately I cannot find a link while on my phone.
    It is quite true that the "+" and "++" are not official NIJ terms, and are merely manufacturer terminology for what they say are better-than-plain-vanilla-III. Some manufacturers have made some very interesting claims about the performance of their III+ and III++ plates, with such ammo as M855A1.

I will try searching for Doc's thread. Thanks for the head's-up on it.
    Last edited by Rex G; 04-01-2017 at 08:19 PM.

LIII shields do not have to weigh 50 lbs: http://armoredmobility.com/products_shield.php
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    The heroism of those French cops cannot be overstated. I think their shields were on wheels though, or at least that's what I think was shown in some images.

I'm stretching my lane badly, but I believe the issue with many level III plates is they are either poly or steel. Poly (light weight) generally can stop 7.62x39 and M193, but not M855. Steel (heavy) can stop 7.62x39 and M855, but not M193. 5.56 (and maybe 5.45?) is a bitch to stop because of the velocity. Most IV are ceramic (or ceramic combo) and are rated for 30-06 single hit, but not multi-hit by NIJ definition. The plates advertised as III+ or III++ are generally within the CONUS LE threat envelope- problem is they are often heavy-ish and expensive. Finally, I don't think III+ and ++ are formal NIJ ratings, so you need to check the ratings for each specific model.

There is a thread on here from about 9 months ago where Doc gave me some great advice on plates for CONUS LE. Unfortunately I cannot find a link while on my phone.
    Post #11 in this thread is what I think you are looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    LIII shields do not have to weigh 50 lbs: http://armoredmobility.com/products_shield.php
    Thanks! I had seen this site, some time ago, but then forgotten it. (That seems to happen too much, these days.)

I wonder how a Level III shield, plus a Level II concealed vest, and/or a Level III plate, would stop some of the more-penetrative 5.56. I do know that one cannot simply add the numbers together.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    With Armor - Velocity Systems -- they have a decent LEO deal
    http://www.velsyst.com/store/236/0/A...ard-Armor.html

Highly recommend the 7.62x39 (API-BZ) plates -- they will stop pretty much anything CONUS.
    This one seems the most interesting, due to its claimed performance and the reputation of the manufacturer/seller, but at $2400 for a pair of them, I am going to have to change some major budget priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    This one seems the most interesting, due to its claimed performance and the reputation of the manufacturer/seller, but at $2400 for a pair of them, I am going to have to change some major budget priorities.
    https://store.atarmor.com/category_s/1909.htm
    They have whatever you need. They are also a reputable company with a well respected owner.
    Last edited by PearTree; 04-02-2017 at 12:24 PM.

Good Rifle Plate options for LEO

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Rex,
    Velocity Systems has been a pleasure to deal with during a recent Departmental purchase. I can't comment on the their plates specifically, but based on my interactions with them over the last few months, I would absolutely recommend that you reach out to them directly.

Edited to add Tyr Tactical as another recommendation. We did buy plates from them, and they were willing to go the extra mile for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rick62; 04-02-2017 at 12:30 PM.

The Velocity PBZ/AT Armor Stop-BZ/Tencate 6400 is a nice plate with all the advantages and disadvantages of a plate containing ceramics...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Well, last night they issued both me, and my PPO, sets of Level IV plates. This removes the urgency of my buying plates, as one reason I was shopping for plates is because there had not been enough plates for everyone; just one set per unit. Now, it seems there are enough for each officer.

Of course, I would still like to have a set of personal III+ plates that are lighter than these Level IV Hesco plates.

The local assasination of Assistant Chief Deputy Constable Clint Greenwood has, sadly, shown us that we can armor-up, but then we must arrange for the bad guys to shoot our fancy armor. A GSW to his neck killed him. As I understand it, one round also hit his vest, and was stopped. I do not know the level of his armor, or the cartridge of the shooter's weapon; my sources of insider information have retired or found greener pastures elsewhere.

He had previously worked as a high-profile prosecutor for the D.A., and then as a head public integrity investigator as a Major in the Sheriff's office, and was aware of specific and credible threats to himself and his family. Known as a savvy shooter and skilled rifle builder, he may well have up-armored his presumably concealed vest. I had only conversed with him by phone, but my wife, in her time working at the Harris County M.E., and interacting with the OEM, was acquainted with him. May he rest in peace.

I have little doubt that Clint Greenwood's assassin was intentionally aiming for the neck or head, being cognizant of armor. Let's all be careful out there!

I do not work many "big" cases, but am frequently on TV, as I am video-ed while photographing crime scenes. Also, I have been told that my very clear photographs of domestic violence injuries have caused defendants to plea, rather than let my images tell jurors a thousand words. I could easily be seen as a target for a cold dish of revenge. Again, let's all be careful out there!

My wife worked twenty-one years as a death scene investigator for the M.E., in one of the most-populous counties in the USA, so she could be a target, too. Again, let's all be careful out there.
    Last edited by Rex G; 04-07-2017 at 01:40 PM.

User Tag List