Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Rifle Plate options for LEO

NIJ certification of LIII hard armor is less than helpful, as they do NOT test against any 5.56 mm threats. None. The FBI does a much better test protocol.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Regarding soft body armor:

For LE patrol use where the risk of contact shots is high, you want a vest tested and warranted to stop at least your own duty handgun round. The best soft armor choices remain vests that have passed either the FBI Soft Body Armor Test Protocol or any 100% all WOVEN p-aramid soft armor.

Current vests that meet the FBI test protocol include:
    DBT/First Choice Armor: NForce2 S6x-06.1 (level II)
    DBT/First Choice Armor: SynergyXS6X (level IIIa)
    KDH: LTST-102-IIIA (level IIIa)
    Point Blank/PACA/Paraclete/PPE: AX (level II and IIIa)
    Point Blank/PACA/Paraclete/PPE: AIIIA-1 (level IIIa)
    Point Blank/PACA/Paraclete/PPE: DX (level II and IIIa)
    Point Blank/PACA/Paraclete/PPE: FLXIIIA (level IIIa)
    Point Blank/PACA/Paraclete/PPE: SP+2LE (level II)
    Survival Armor: Paragon6 LWIIIa (level IIIa)

Previous soft armor that has meet the FBI spec includes the level IIIa DBT/CAT RVA3A fabricated with Kevlar XLT over backing layers of Kevlar XP, the level IIIa DBT/CAT QVA3A-1 built using approximately a 50/50 mix of Twaron backed by Dyneema, the level IIIa Paraclete KNX3A made using Twaron and Goldflex, as well as the level IIIa Pinnacle Armor S2000-3A-01 all Twaron armor). 100% all WOVEN p-aramid soft armor that has worked well includes armor like the level IIIa U.S. Armor Enforcer Classic and the level IIIa Paraclete K3K3A all Twaron armor). In addition, although built using a Kevlar polyethelene laminate material, the the level IIIa Velocity Systems VS13A has demonstrated the ability to stop service caliber contact shots in independent testing. (Note--buyers should be wary, as there are laminated aramids, such as Gold Flex, that can be called 100% aramids, that are NOT the same as 100% WOVEN p-aramids.)

Remember--armor that passes the FBI Body Armor Test Protocol and 100% woven p-aramid vests may be a bit thicker, but they offer substantially more protection than many other vests on the market. Officer's need to know that lighter, thinner, more expensive vests are NOT necessarily offering better protection. In addition, 100% woven p-aramid armor has demonstrated very long service lives—we have tested numerous older Kevlar vests, including one that was 25 years old, a few that were 15 to 18 years old, and numerous vests in the 9-12 year range, that ALL continued to easily stop the threats they were rated for, including multiple contact shots from the same 9 mm and .44 Mag loads that perforated brand new polyethelene laminate vests. Obviously, if you are NOT likely to get hit with a contact shot, for example military personnel on the battlefield, then contact shot performance is not as critical as for end-users, like U.S. LE patrol officers, who are likely to face contact shot threats.

Progressive LE agencies are beginning to require that all vests purchased for uniformed patrol MUST pass the FBI Body Armor Test Protocol. Vest purchasing contracts should always specify that each new vest come with TWO (2) vest carriers; in addition, going with one (1) wide side closure strap on each side rather than two (2) smaller ones is a good idea. Also, savvy agencies are inserting contractual requirements authorizing unannounced visits to the armor vendor's manufacturing facility to observe how the raw armor materials are stored and inspect the armor while it is being assembled.

This is a good example of an acceptable LE agency body armor procurement: http://www.bidsync.com/DPX?ac=view&auc=108034.

At the moment, my first choice in soft armor would likely be an FBI compliant Point Blank Armor package or one by KDH--perhaps even an LII vest, as some of the current FBI compliant LII soft armor offers as much protection as LIIIa panels did 10 years ago.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Has anyone tested any of the Paraclete plates yet? I'm curious how those hold up. I think our biggest threat here is the green tip 5.56 and the 7.72x39. I intend to wear these plates inside my external uniform carrier with my soft armor as the backstop.

Armor Express offers a lot of appealing options. Any reason to avoid them?
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    Armor Express offers a lot of appealing options. Any reason to avoid them?
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR
    IIRC, Armor Express is owned by Richard Davis and other ethically challenged folks from Second Chance who ruined that company...these are the same individuals who knowingly sold defective armor that lead to the death of Officer Tony Zeppetella and the wounding of two others.
    From an LF post circa 2008, so I'm not sure how accurate it is still.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    With Armor - Velocity Systems -- they have a decent LEO deal
    http://www.velsyst.com/store/236/0/A...ard-Armor.html

Highly recommend the 7.62x39 (API-BZ) plates -- they will stop pretty much anything CONUS.
    Have to echo this. They make a great product that is plenty comfortable. And yes they are pricy. Still worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Personally I also worry about M855, it's common enough locally that we have seen it on the street. Wal Mart sells 420 round cans for $179
    Apparently SAPI plates won't stop a M855 but will a 7.62

I thought I would resurrect this thread to ask about a new type of plate I saw recently. I've always been a big fan of the level III+ polyethylene plates with soft IIIa backing due to cost and weight, however as Doc points out, these are a poor choice due to their susceptibility to penetration by 5.56 rounds, notably the common M855 'green tip.' Recently I saw a product test of a polyethylene plate with a ceramic strike face that will stop M855 as well as other common 5.56 rounds. It was labeled "level III++." Obviously, this is not an actual NIJ specification, just the label they've given to it. Is this ceramic strike face/polyethylene combo a viable concept or a more of a gimmick? Does anyone have experience with these types of plates? The price and weight seem decent if it provides the protection that it claims to. Would this make polyethylene a viable CONUS option?

**NOTE** I am NOT affiliated with this company at all, just curious as to whether this would make for adequate CONUS protection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9rEqx3DcIA

http://www.dfndrarmor.com/product/le...te-body-armor/
    Last edited by Doug MacRay; 02-08-2017 at 04:30 PM.
    "I need your help. I can't tell you what it is, you can never ask me about it later, and we're gonna hurt some people."

Site Supporter
    Who makes their plates for them? There are lots of sellers but only a few makers. Tencate and Hesco are two such makers.

It looks, from what I can see in the video, similar to a Speed Plate Plus from Paraclete.

If you are looking for proven armor choices, contact AT Armor. Only quality products at very reasonable prices and the staff know what they are talking about.

http://store.atarmor.com/

Please for the love of god, do not buy AR500 plates.

I've had the pleasure of working with a crew out of socal that are putting out some really impressive products:

http://americanblastsystems.com/

They are offering several "in conjunction with" plates, which are perfect for LE purposes when you're running soft armor anyway. The level III ICW offering they have is 1.5 pounds a plate. 1.5 pounds!! They also have a "level III green tip" which will stop 855 ammunition which weighs in at about 3.5 pounds.

These are not stand alone plates. That is important to note.

However, at $299 for the III ICW, it offers you an unbelievably light up-armor capability that you can throw in a carrier and still maintain mobility. The price is worth every penny.

User Tag List