Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Good Rifle Plate options for LEO

I ordered a new Mayflower plate carrier, and obtained one pristine pre-owned Velocity Systems Level III plate. Then, I bought a pre-owned First Spear Strandhogg MBAV with Velocity Systems IIIA soft armor in the front, rear, and sides. The Strandhogg system will, I believe, become my on-duty "tactical" vest, when I have two new Level III plates. The Strandhogg has separate pockets for the soft and hard armor, and the MBAV-cut soft armor panels are larger than the plates. I think the Mayflower carrier will be good for times I may want to wear plates alone, such as while attending rifle training, or perhaps I will re-home it with a colleague.

The plate I have now is "expired," but can be useful until I get a pair of new plates. The reason to buy two new plates, is so I can be exempted from being issued a pair of the horrendously heavy Level IV Hesco plates at the beginning of each shift, and also be exempt from having to wear my ill-fitting concealed armor under the uniform shirt. We are required to wear armor while on patrol, either concealed or outside the shirt, and it must be within the warranty period. We can wear a "tactical" vest if the plates are at least Level III, and it is suitably marked with "POLICE" lettering front and rear.

Site Supporter
    Rex, did you obtain the standard NATO-sized soft body armor or was the SBA custom fit? I've grown frustrated with both our issue PT armor as well as my personally purchased Point Blank.

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    Rex, did you obtain the standard NATO-sized soft body armor or was the SBA custom fit? I've grown frustrated with both our issue PT armor as well as my personally purchased Point Blank.
    My First Spear Strandhogg plate carrier accomodates MBAV soft panels. "MBAV" is a specific cut and size, as I understand it. I am not sure if it is a military designation, or properietary to First Spear. Front and back MBAV panels, alone, cover an bit more than medium SAPI plates, so there is little side protection unless the cummerbund has its own armor panels. The First Spear Strandhogg cummerbund accommodates armor that is 6" high and about 11" long, so the side armor is overlapped, a bit, by the front and back panels. I have the matching front, back, and side panels, Level IIIA, made by Velocity Systems, a very reputable company.

You have my empathy. My new PD-issued concealed armor is cut too tall; if I sit, my belt shoves the bottom of the front panel, so that the top of the panel chokes me. (It is, just, tolerable while standing.) Getting my previously-issued, well-fitted, much-loved Safariland IIA armor back from Supply was not an allowed option, so I started wearing a somewhat-oversized Safariland Level II vest that I had, earlier, bought from a guy who was getting out of law enforcement. This was OK during the winter, but with the SE Texas summer being most of the year, it is time to do something. That is what started my consideration of the newly-approved option of warranteed Level III (or IV) armor plates worn in a "tactical" style vest. My personal plates would need to be approved by Supply Division, presumably with the documentation to show they are still under warranty.

We are now issued a pair of Level IV plates at the beginning of each shift, in a generic carrier. My gimpy knee protests overly much on the three flights of stairs in the parking garage. Plus, I do not know if, or how often, these issued plates have been dropped. My own tac vest, with my own lighter-weight III or "III+" plates, is preferable, because I can, then, opt-out of being issued the Level IV plates, and also opt-out of wearing the issued soft concealed armor.

My next hurdle is saving for the pair of plates. I may throw in the towel, and retire, due to multiple other factors in my work and private life, and not need the pair of warranteed plates. That is OK; soft IIIA coverage, supplemented by my out-of-warranty Level III plate, in front, will remain useful when stalking trespassers and poachers on family-owned land. I can add another plate, eventually. Actually, the Strandhogg can be donned rather quickly, and be good for a home-defense scenario, too.
    Last edited by Rex G; 04-17-2017 at 05:57 PM.

Actually, the Strandhogg can be donned rather quickly, and be good for a home-defense scenario, too.
    I LOVE the First Spear Tubes system. I'm playing around with the First Spear STT Plate Carrier that is sold by SKD Tac. I've timed it and I can go from no armor to armor on in 8 seconds. I just leave on side closed and stick my arm in and close that side. It beats the traditional lift the flap and insert the cumberbund system by miles. The only problem I see is that you are limited in the size range each option support. Going from just a t-shirt to multiple layers of clothing in the winter could be hard.
    Last edited by John Hearne; 04-17-2017 at 08:04 PM.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the reply, Rex. Velociy has a great reputation and is on the other side of the Capital Beltway from me. It might be worth a drive.

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    Thanks for the reply, Rex. Velociy has a great reputation and is on the other side of the Capital Beltway from me. It might be worth a drive.
    I wish we lived closer to the Virginia coast, so I could put my eager hands on some of the cool stuff I have been recently seeing while internettin', at Velocity Systems and elsewhere.

I noticed that my new P.A.C.A. concealable vest carrier has two front pockets for additional inserts, the larger of which seems able to accomodate a 6"x8" insert. Paraclete offers a 6"x8" Speed Plate Plus, at 2.2 pounds (one kilo) in weight. I may well be speaking to my local cop shops this week. A smaller top-tier plate, always worn with my soft armor, (and out-of-sight,) might be a better next step, if anyone has them in stock. Donning exterior plates takes precious time, which a first-responder may not have, and of course, external armor will be obvious to an observant opponent.

This detour would not preclude my eventual completion of full Level III exterior plates/armor. 10"x12" is notably more area than 6"x8", and of course, the concealable carrier has no rear pockets for inserts. (OTOH, I just learned that another grandbaby is due, perhaps before the first one is walking, so I may be retiring sooner than I thought, being the only available grandparent to help with two infants.)

I just ordered a Safariland/Protech 5"x9" IMPAC-RT Plus rifle plate, to insert into one of my concealed vest's plate pockets. While no mention is made of M855A1, it is advertised to stop three impacts of M193 or M855, or two impacts of 7.62x39 MSC, or one impact of 7.62 M80. This will always be there, concealed, while on patrol, so seemed a higher priority than buying a second 10"x12" plate for my externally-worn plate carrier.
    Last edited by Rex G; 05-05-2017 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I just ordered a Safariland/Protech 5"x9" IMPAC-RT Plus rifle plate, to insert into one of my concealed vest's plate pockets. While no mention is made of M855A1, it is advertised to stop three impacts of M193 or M855, or two impacts of 7.62x39 MSC, or one impact of 7.62 M80. This will always be there, concealed, while on patrol, so seemed a higher priority than buying a second 10"x12" plate for my externally-worn plate carrier.
    I've seen a couple officers with these. Quite a few have problems with the weight of the plates pulling the front of their vest down, and leaving quite a bit of real estate between the top of their hearts and base of the throats exposed. A plate in the back will counter balance, but I don't know anyone that used a back plate for very long due to discomfort. Our vest come with elastic cummerbunds but no one uses them due to poor design and discomfort. I'm not saying it won't work for you, but I'd keep a eye on vest fit throughout the day to make sure I wasn't losing coverage where I needed it.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

User Tag List