Thread: .223 gel test: Black Hills 77 gr TMK, carbine & SBR

.223 gel test: Black Hills 77 gr TMK, carbine & SBR

Black Hills 77 gr Sierra Tipped Match King fired from 11.5" and 16" barreled AR pattern rifles into calibrated 10% gelatin and water jugs.

BB: 597.3 fps, 3.6"

11.5" barrel results:

Impact velocity: 2,572 fps
    Penetration: 14.2"
    Retained weight: 32.8 gr
    Max expansion: 0.543"
    Min expansion: 0.312"
    Neck length: 0.7"
    TSC: 3" x 7"

16" barrel results:

Impact velocity: 2,775 fps
    Penetration: 13.1"
    Retained weight: 39.2 gr
    Max expansion: 0.581"
    Min expansion: 0.335"
    Neck length: 0.6"
    TSC: 2.5" x 7.5"

On the water jug portion, the bullet passed completely through two jugs and dented the far wall on the third jug for a total penetration of 18" of water. The first jug was literally split in two separate pieces, which were both thrown well away from the table. The bullet left a lot of fragments throughout the remaining jugs.

OP, thanks for posting. One question: is that ammo .223 or 5.56mm? I thought BH currently was only loading the 77gr TMK bullet in 5.56mm, but your post says .223.

The ammo was provided by a member on another forum. You're probably right.

I just looked at the BCs of those new TMKs, they are awesome.

That 77 TMK has the potential to have one single 223 load for all three across the course distances without penalty or compromise and the 30 cal 168 TMK will likely be the bullet of choice for 308 work out to 1000.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    I just looked at the BCs of those new TMKs, they are awesome.

That 77 TMK has the potential to have one single 223 load for all three across the course distances without penalty or compromise

All three what?

I'm not much of a rifle shooter, so I may be missing something obvious.

Cool. BH 77 gr OTM was dramatically successful on 2 deer I've shot with it.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Cool. BH 77 gr OTM was dramatically successful on 2 deer I've shot with it.
    JHC, can you provide details on those deer(distance, result, barrel length)? I'm looking at my ammo inventory and trying to decide on what I zero with for deer season. It would be really nice to use the same ammo for matches and hunting

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    JHC, can you provide details on those deer(distance, result, barrel length)? I'm looking at my ammo inventory and trying to decide on what I zero with for deer season. It would be really nice to use the same ammo for matches and hunting
    One was a good sized (for GA) 7 point buck that I hit broadside, front shoulder, midway up him. Must have hit or stunned the spine as he dropped where he stood. No exit wound. It was last light, cold and blowing so no detailed exam of the wound. Range about 15 yards (thick woods)

Other was a small doe I hit from above being uphill from about 50-70 yards IIRC. I was up a pretty steep hill, but only had the neck clear of a tree. Hit was centered to the back of the neck and created a big exit wound out the throat. Like 4" in diameter. Bang flop.

Both with a 16" N4 Recce.
    Last edited by JHC; 10-05-2017 at 04:36 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List