Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flashlight Defensive Tactics

Flashlight Defensive Tactics

Due to restrictions at work, I cannot carry a firearm while there. I've gotten away with carrying a folding knife, but technically I'm not supposed to do that either.

Since there are no restrictions on flashlights I have recently began carrying one 24/7 (true EDC mode). Other than the obvious utilitarian purposes for carrying a light, I have been researching tactics/techniques for using high-powered flashlights in defensive situations and for personal safety. Here are a few links I've found useful;

http://homereadyhome.com/carry-a-tactical-flashlight/

http://www.functionalselfdefense.org/weapons/flashlight

Can anyone recommend any other worthy links or resources on this topic? I carry my PPS when I can but I'd like to become as well-informed as possible on using a flashlight as part of a personal safety regime. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

[nevermind]
    Last edited by nycnoob; 12-28-2014 at 04:22 PM.

nycnoob, indeed I have but your response is appreciated nonetheless!

780 lumens is a weapon, and it's quite amazing in-person. I am looking for instruction on how to use it most effectively;

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    nycnoob, indeed I have but your response is appreciated nonetheless!

780 lumens is a weapon, and it's quite amazing in-person. I am looking for instruction on how to use it most effectively;
    Sorry I wacked my previous response (it did not contribute to the discussion) while you were answering.
    I think the best response would be that SN will be in NH this fall for EWO.

September 19-20
    Edged Weapons Overview (EWO) in Pelham, N.H.
    Point of contact: Mike Nastek mnastek@comcast.net
    (Is Mike the OP?)

That would seem to be the best place to get some flashlight specific techniques added into the his jujutsu based system.
    Flashlights seem like a natural replacement for blades in his striking system.

I could see three obvious area:
    1) using it as a striking tool, I would think this would be similar to the thrusts that SN already advocates.
    2) using it as a light, is there any benefit to using it as a light in a clinch or at striking distances?
    3) using it some other way, I have seen kubaton instruction use the stick for joint locks or other methods which are usually eschewed by SN.
    Perhaps with a "non-blade" there are other techniques he might recommend that are useful with a "non-blade" but less effective then stabbing if you had a blade.

What about OC? That would appear to me to be a better (in many circumstances) non-permissive weapon then a flashlight.

Flashlights fall into this weird spot... They're not quite sticks, batons, knives, or impact tools (saps, blackjacks, etc.) but can use similar techniques from all of those.

Personal I'd stick to the really simple stuff. I carry mine in my left pocket, bezel down, and use my left hand to access it. This also overlaps with how I'd use it in conjunction with a pistol, neck/temple index or modified FBI. Holding it as a fist load you can throw your standard left hand boxing strikes: jab, hook, uppercut. There is also the "back hand" strike where the bezel is coming out of bottom of the hand, is the striking surface, and using fluid or broken strikes as appropriate. And then just aim for the typical boxing targets: temples, eyes, nose, chin, neck, ribs, liver.

I wouldn't bother with any of the pressure point pain compliance techniques. Just hit 'um hard, knock 'um out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dropkick View Post
    I carry mine in my left pocket, bezel down, and use my left hand to access it. This also overlaps with how I'd use it in conjunction with a pistol, neck/temple index or modified FBI.
    Ditto. I've got my weak hand/left pocket "light draw" down pretty well so the light can be used by itself or in conjunction with a pistol.

Holding it as a fist load you can throw your standard left hand boxing strikes: jab, hook, uppercut. There is also the "back hand" strike where the bezel is coming out of bottom of the hand, is the striking surface, and using fluid or broken strikes as appropriate. And then just aim for the typical boxing targets: temples, eyes, nose, chin, neck, ribs, liver.
    That's my game plan too, though I like the tactic shown in the video of the first link I posted where the light is held in the weak hand, the aggressor is given a face full of lumens and while they are temporarily blinded (1) side step, (2) strike with the strong hand or feet and then (3) either continue to strike or make the escape.

My EDC light is really very easy to carry discreetly in the weak hand as soon as I step into the night, something I have been making a point to do.

Did you see this impact device an flashlight all in one? What are people thinking?

Watch how the Safeseeker Works!

The Safeseeker

Quote Originally Posted by nycnoob View Post
    Did you see this impact device an flashlight all in one? What are people thinking?
    Holy crap. I stand corrected!
    Must order now... Those... um, ah... lumens!

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    ...where the light is held in the weak hand, the aggressor is given a face full of lumens and while they are temporarily blinded (1) side step, (2) strike with the strong hand or feet and then (3) either continue to strike or make the escape.
    Yes, there is a lot of merit to "flash and move." I thought you were specifically interested in using the flashlight during daylight hours based on your comment about restrictions at work. With regards to kicks to the groin, I'm not a fan of potentially giving up 50% of your base to strike, because I'd rather not gamble, lose, and wind up on the ground.

With regards to kicks to the groin, I'm not a fan of potentially giving up 50% of your base to strike, because I'd rather not gamble, lose, and wind up on the ground.
    Good point.

Also, I'd only try blinding an assailant with a flashlight at night as I'm not sure how effective it would be for eyes adapted to daylight.

User Tag List