Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10mm 1911

10mm 1911

I've read everything I can find on this topic, so I don't start this thread lightly. I'm very interested in getting a 10mm 1911 for big game hunting in the lower 48. I would like it to have a fitted up .40 cal barrel as an extra, and I'm leaning towards making them threaded to take a can. Really looking hard at Wilson and Springfield, though I'm open to other suggestions.

I currently pistol hunt with a 1911 in the caliber God intended it to be, and have not found it wanting. However, the idea of a flatter shooting, harder hitting cartridge is appealing. Also, assuming I'm still with the 1911 platform down the road, it would make an acceptable backup gun for when I move back into big bear country.

The gun needs to be extremely accurate and reliable, but I have no sense of what a "modern" 10mm 1911 will do for longevity. I won't be shooting it a ton, and if I do decide to for some reason, that's what the .40 barrel is for. In 10mm, I'm looking at the relatively new Federal Trophy Bonded load for hunting, and likely some hard cast penetrator for defensive critter use, though that is much less important to me.

How much drop is there at 100 yards with relatively full house 10? I know its not much, but I don't know how it actually compares to 45/9/357sig. Say a 180-190 gr at 12-1300fps.

Thanks for any info.

I have a JoJo's customized Colt Delta that has yet to give me a stoppage in the few thousand rounds I have fired thru it in the last ten years. That pistol is not load sensitive, in that it has functioned with every load I have tried, including ones that choked in Glock 10's.

If I was buying a 10mm 1911 now, it would be a CQB-E in a heart beat. Interestingly, I think Bill Wilson prefers .45 Super in a 1911 to 10.

Based on previous Colt Delta pistols, I would order Tripp magazines. Not sure whether there is a better alternative now, but Tripp mags fixed reliability issues. That is all I have used in the JoJo's Delta.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I don't have any personal experience with 10mm 1911's, but hornady's ballistic calculator can help give you a rough estimate of the differences in trajectory. Running a quick calculation, the difference between a 850fps 230gr .45 round and a 1300fps 180gr 10mm round is approximately 6" at 100 yards with a 50 yard zero.

http://m.hornady.com/ballistics-reso...ics-calculator

The Dan Wesson Razorback has my interest piqued for a similar interest. The fit, finish, options and quality on their guns over the last few years has impressed me. I've shot a few different models and all guns seemed to run well and have very acceptable accuracy, but it was all with good mags, decent lube and good ammo.

I'd have the front strap checkered, add a magwell, some form of Cerakote/Nitride finish done and a rear sight swap to make it perfect for me.

When I heard about the new Federal Trophy Bonded ammo, it got me salivating over the idea of a 10mm hunting pistol. The only thing holding me back right now is a new .300WM currently in process.

So what do you guys think of bushingless 10mm's vs. standard 1911 setup?

GJM,

Why the CQB Elite instead of the Hunter or some other model?

So I got to ask why not the Colt Delta Elite? Ive Always wanted one of them but if the others are "better" ....
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

The CQB-E seems to be consistently awesome, based on those I have seen, watched shoot and heard others discuss. One in 10 will be my next 1911. I am not that familiar with those other models. I can ask Bill.

Maybe something has changed, but for the last twenty years the 'smiths I frequent like the conventional bushing design. They have always fit them snug, but so I can disassemble them in the field without a wrench.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Take a look at the STI Nitro 10. It is not a traditional look, but I like the post apocalyptic look . Its is built for handling hot 10mm.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post
    Its is built for handling hot 10mm.
    What specific features makes it built for hot 10mm loads?

I have a Jim Garthwaite built steel Delta. The only thing it has killed is paper...and the egos of some at the range Handgun hunting rules in my area are basically written to specifically exclude 1911's. They have made an exception for 10mm 1911's.

edit: I too have not heard anything negative about wilson 10mm's.

User Tag List