Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unbroken, the film

Site Supporter
    The movie critic for the local rag here described the movie as "flat" and gave it a negative review. Bullshit.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. As noted by others, the time constraints require a lot of detail to be left out. To me, surviving a plane crash and six weeks on a life raft would be an epic story, without the Olympic and POW stories. Go see it.

Angelina Jolie could very well have made a socially conscious movie about PTSD, loving ones enemies, and the imperialist nature of the United States and easily received accolades from the media.

Fortunately , it seems this is not the case. I shall watch it myself.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    The movie critic for the local rag here described the movie as "flat" and gave it a negative review. Bullshit.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. As noted by others, the time constraints require a lot of detail to be left out. To me, surviving a plane crash and six weeks on a life raft would be an epic story, without the Olympic and POW stories. Go see it.
    I saw it with my family on Christmas night and I agree. I would almost suggest that the movie ought to be split into two companion films, in order to adequately show the detail of the three main stories. The only gripe I had with it was that it felt like the Cliff's Notes version of a very long story -- it felt like there was a lot of stuff that should have been told, but wasn't because of the time constraints.

There were a lot of segments in the early trailers of Unbroken that are not in the final theatrical release--that indicates a fair number of scenes were cut by the studio.

Many of the Hollywood elite and movie critics who are panning Unbroken are the same ones who fawned and swooned over that abortion of a film The Hurt Locker; that tells me all I need to know...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    There were a lot of segments in the early trailers of Unbroken that are not in the final theatrical release--that indicates a fair number of scenes were cut by the studio.
    This may be one of the cases that the DVD version offers more than the theatre. The experience in the theatre is better, but the cut scenes and the extended versions of some films are great to see on DVD.

Site Supporter
    I listened to the audio book a while back and was awed by the story. Louis Zamperini was a great man -- it's humbling to think of all he endured and never gave up.

Thank you all for the information on the film, I had been considering attending a theater to see it.

Something I only do every 5-6 years.

Vending Machine Operator
    I loved the book. I have yet to see the movie.

If Mr. Zamperini approved of the film before he passed, that's good enough for me.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Great review, Doc. I enjoyed the movie very much and I'm enjoying the book even more. (More detail, of course.)

It's a great story that needed to be told.

User Tag List