Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unbroken, the film

Unbroken, the film

My family and I went and saw the film Unbroken today. After seeing the movie, I am dismayed and perplexed by the negative reviews the film has received by many critics, although I have my suspicions on why this has occurred.

I was fortunate in having the opportunity to meet Louis Zamperini several years ago. Growing up in a Navy family, I also had the privilege of meeting several other noted guests of the Japanese empire, including RADM O’Kane and COL Boyington. Unbroken appeared to be as accurate a depiction of what they all described occurring in their POW camp as Hollywood can get.

ABC filmed an outstanding documentary on Louis Zamperini for the 1998 Nagano Winter Olympics that can be viewed in a video of an interview with Louis at USC--the ABC clip begins at 9 minutes and 52 seconds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txlt9ij7UJM

The opening scene of the movie Unbroken is outstanding—well filmed and very accurate. The acting is quite good. I liked that most of the major technical details were reasonably correct for a Hollywood film. With a couple of relatively minor exceptions, the film remains accurate to what Louis endured, as previously documented by numerous sources, including contemporaneous accounts and surviving eyewitnesses.

Some folks have complained that the movie failed to adequately portray Louie’s return to the U.S., his severe post-war PTSD, remarkable life changing conversion thanks to Billy Graham, subsequent forgiveness of his captors, and service to others for the remainder of his life. Yes. Those are all key details that would have been great to include in a 3 hour movie. Unfortunately that does not appear to have been possible—especially given the pressure by the studio to trim the length of the film. Perhaps much of the lost footage can be restored in an eventual “Directors Cut” DVD release. Personally, we found the movie was still very powerful as released in theaters. I think it is also very important to realize that Louis got to see a rough cut of the movie before he died and he fully approved of it. In fact, his children state the film is EXACTLY the way he wanted it:

http://townhall.com/columnists/lukez...2559/page/full

https://community.focusonthefamily.c...-unbroken.aspx

http://www.biography.com/news/unbrok...mily-interview

In short, I bid a hearty FUCK YOU to the majority of film critics and a sincere thank you to Ms. Jolie for having the courage to craft a superb cinematic tribute to Louis Zamperini, based on the outstanding biography written by noted author Laura Hillenbrand.
    Last edited by DocGKR; 12-27-2014 at 11:03 PM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

I'm looking forward to seeing this movie. Thanks for the review, Doc!
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Thank you for the review. Can't wait to see this one.

I also had the privilege of meeting several other noted guests of the Japanese empire, including RADM O’Kane and COL Boyington.
    Just AWESOME.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    In short, I bid a hearty FUCK YOU to the majority of film critics and a sincere thank you to Ms. Jolie for having the courage to craft a superb cinematic tribute to Louis Zamperini, based on the outstanding biography written by noted author Laura Hillenbrand.
    Huzzah! We had several teachers in my high school who had been PWs in WWII, including my physics teacher, Eddie Blasyk, Col. USAF (RET) who spent '44-45 in a little garden spot outside Nagasaki. "Fortunately", he said, "we were in The Mine on August ninth..."

The few details he shared with us did agree with what I read in the book. (Haven't seen the movie yet.)
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

We just saw this tonight and I have to agree that the film was great! I think that the book goes into much more detail, therefore offering better insight into the things that Louis went through; but overall the movie was awesome. I most definitely recommend both to anyone with even the slightest interest.

Concur--like almost all yarns I have read and then seen in movie form, the book is far more detailed and comprehensive. This in no way diminishes the film version.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Thanks for the positive review. Unbroken is the only movie currently playing that I want to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Thanks for the positive review. Unbroken is the only movie currently playing that I want to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We're going to see it on NYE. Thanks for the outstanding review, Doc!

As a former actor I tend to look at these things in a little different light than the average movie goer. I thought the production was very well done from a technical standpoint. Unfortunately it lacked the sense of emotional urgency I'm sure they were going for. It seemed to be hitting the high points of the story, the Cliff's Notes of the experience if you will. I have no doubt this was because of the editing/run time requirements imposed by the studio. A shorter run time means more showings per day which translates to more profits. This story really needed a three hour run time to be properly told. Hopefully an extended cut will be available as I'm sure many important things were left on the editing room floor. Any movie with a positive christian overtone will not be supported by Hollywood. Angelina Jolie is also a person who likes things her own way and isn't afraid to buck the establishment to get it done. The fact that she's often successful at it makes it even worse in their eyes. I'm surprised this movie has gotten the support it has from Hollywood. I think it's a solid eight out of ten.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Thanks for the review, Doc. Looks like I'll be making a trip to the theater.

User Tag List