Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: HK VP9 vs Sig 320

I've got 500 Rd through a new full size 320. I'm over 15 years on Glock. To echo Psalms point the reset is pretty damn short. I've found it remarkably easy to hit with.

My small handed shooters manage the med grip easier than a Glock and reach the controls easier. I've been surprised at the ease of shooting it fast and have found overall faster Bill Drills capable than with my Glocks. I am not sure why.

So far on a few other drills and plate racks, pretty even vs a G17. Trigger feels lighter but scales a pound heavier than my minus connector Glocks to my surprise. We think recoil feels lighter vs G17.

I'm pretty impressed so far.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    After recently only handling and dry firing these two, I have a strong preference for the 320.

After a 3 month hiatus from shooting, I went to the range today. I've spent at least 3 years solidly shooting P30 V3 and then the last year V1. I've shot my buddy's PPQ and I've enjoyed it, but was not keen on its muzzle movement. It seemed "too light" and therefore moved too much for me. Today, knowing I'm a hammer/HK fan, they rented the VP9 to see "If Mikey like."

I don't know if it was "first try-itis" or what, but I out shot my P30 immediately on slow fire groups as well as a change up target with the 1" square, 2" circle and 3x5 card. Although I couldn't time my runs in the indoor range, it was obvious to 3 of us that I was making hits faster on the VP9 and missing slower on my P30. If only it took P30 mags and fit a P30 holster 😆

Yup, other than the lack of hammer, this is quite tempting. I won't dump my P30s, but I might be adding this to my small stable in the next 6 months if the itch doesn't leave me sooner.

ETA:
    My impressions:
    1. Muzzle rise is better than P30 and PPQ.
    2. Sights out of the box were fine. Even on a rental that's been abused.
    3. Trigger and reset were great.
    4. Very soft shooting to me.
    5. Easy sight tracking even though I run HDs on the P30.
    Last edited by BaiHu; 12-28-2014 at 01:04 PM.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    After a 3 month hiatus from shooting, I went to the range today. I've spent at least 3 years solidly shooting P30 V3 and then the last year V1. I've shot my buddy's PPQ and I've enjoyed it, but was not keen on its muzzle movement. It seemed "too light" and therefore moved too much for me. Today, knowing I'm a hammer/HK fan, they rented the VP9 to see "If Mikey like."

I don't know if it was "first try-itis" or what, but I out shot my P30 immediately on slow fire groups as well as a change up target with the 1" square, 2" circle and 3x5 card. Although I couldn't time my runs in the indoor range, it was obvious to 3 of us that I was making hits faster on the VP9 and missing slower on my P30. If only it took P30 mags and fit a P30 holster ��

Yup, other than the lack of hammer, this is quite tempting. I won't dump my P30s, but I might be adding this to my small stable in the next 6 months if the itch doesn't leave me sooner.

ETA:
    My impressions:
    1. Muzzle rise is better than P30 and PPQ.
    2. Sights out of the box were fine. Even on a rental that's been abused.
    3. Trigger and reset were great.
    4. Very soft shooting to me.
    5. Easy sight tracking even though I run HDs on the P30.
    The VP9 uses the same magazines as the P30 and Some of the holsters for a P30 work with a VP9.

That was a sarcastic face. It's what's making this too tempting.

I went to one LGS and handled the VP9 then another store to handle the 320 C. The 320 C is what has piqued my interest. I'll have to see if I can rent and shoot them side by side.

BaiHu, you found sort of what I did. I still love the P30 LEM, and it is one of the best ergonomic guns for me. The reality is that it is likely a better pistol for me as a daily carry gun at this stage in life as anything else (with the P2000 LEM as a close second). It is a simple situation in that with the VP9 you get all the P30 "good" as far as reliability, mechanical accuaracy, QC, etc.....with a trigger that requires less work to shoot well. The P30 LEM is still what I consider to be one of the best pistols made for managing a high stress encounters, and problems. With that said, the VP 9 has a more forgiving trigger for "shooting problems".
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Given that I can't carry in my own state, my thought would be to keep the LEM as my carry gun in states I can carry in and use the VP9 as a house gun since I'll never need to draw in my home.

I have no direct experience (other than fondling a P320 at the gun store) with the SIG, but I've owned both the VP9 and PPQ and shot them extensively. I wrote below a few months back in another thread but I'll repeat my findings here.

It is really no wonder that whenever the PPQ is brought up the HK VP9 is not far behind. The PPQ and VP9 are unquestionably very similar pistols and therefore invite direct comparisons. In terms of dimensions, controls (especially the PPQ M1), capacity, style - they resemble each other closely. I even used a Raven Phantom molded for the PPQ as a range holster until I acquired a dedicated holster for the VP9. It was these very similarities that drove me to eliminate one so as to focus my efforts on improving with the other.

From that perspective, I recently sold my Walther PPQ in favor of focusing on my VP9. I found the VP9 more 'shootable' than the PPQ. Both pistols are very accurate and come out of the box with terrific triggers (in both categories they are a cut above Glock), but I find the VP9 trigger better suited for carry. The PPQ trigger is very light with an extremely short reset - and little margin for error. The PPQ felt top heavy in comparison to the VP9. I can get a higher grip on the VP9, and whereas I found the PPQ somewhat 'snappy', the VP9 is unremarkable in recoil. While the PPQ grip is excellent, there is no question that the VP9/P30 grip is the best available.

I'll note that I had two early malfunctions with the VP9 (both shooting support hand only with weak Blazer ammunition) but haven't had any further issues in over 2000 subsequent rounds. The PPQ never malfunctioned. Both the PPQ and VP9 are high quality pistols and merit consideration.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Bud's has NIB 320's w/2 mags for $470 right now with the make an offer feature

User Tag List