Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Appendix followup

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    A uniformed copper holstering into a duty rig in order to go less-than-lethal or to close with and cuff a suspect is a COMPLETELY different situation than a UC cop or CCW person being involved in a defensive situation.

The "don't look while holstering" has, in my experience, come from police training as it applies to street and SWAT cops, and this has bled over into other areas where it doesn't apply.

I have more and more looked at why people do stuff from a tactical historian standpoint, and often find people are the proverbial "four monkeys in the cage", it's full on "That's how we do shit around here" with zero understanding as to why, and where it came from.

No-look holstering is something I do, and teach, when it applies to a uniformed police duty rig, and I teach context. I specifically train people to NOT do this with CCW gear.
    Chuck - thanks, I believe you're spot on. For a variety of reasons, the overwhelming majority of folks involved in basic training at FLETC (including for folks headed into exclusively "white collar" type investigative jobs) are former uniformed guys, so I think a lot of what gets taught is what worked/works on the street for uniformed guys. In fact, there is VERY LITTLE training done at FLETC where folks where anything but BDU pants and polo/t-shirt with a duty belt for all the "cop stuff" (holster, uniform style magazine pouches, baton/cuff/radio holders, etc).

I've long since given up trying to address programatic issues with my agency (when we approved Taurus pistols for personal duty weapons I resigned from even trying), but in my little corner of the world where I'm still sort of "king" on firearms and tactical training, I'll start easing folks into a different mindset...

I was going to jump into to comment about certain applications for the no-look re-holster, but it I was beaten on re-fresh.

I will add another (albiet a uniformed example again) is transitioning back to primary after needing ones handgun.

Other than that - I will be as slow as I can be on re-holster -- I set my 'dwell time' on turning targets for 25 sec - so I can scan, reload, reholster and adjust cover garment as nec.
    Of course the exception to the rule will get you when you try to be courteous to shooting buddies and let them get up to the drill - which is what was happening when Ernie caught me lapsing.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

It was discussions like this with Todd and Ernie many moons ago that convinced me that regardless of holster used, a conscious break is required for the vast majority of shooters when they go to reholster

oh, and quit telling people to kill vampires, geez
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

I routinely carry appendix flying.

This afternoon there was a sigmet for severe turbulence on the Front Range of Colorado, and a pilot just landing in a King Air told me it was the worst flight he ever had -- hitting his head five times on roof of the cockpit, crap strewn around the aircraft and a thoroughly unhappy severe turb plus flight.

Despite going southwest, we had a plan to fly east, climb away from the mountains, and cross back west at altitude. As a precaution, I removed my appendix holster so I could crank the seat belts down. Fortunately our plan was good and I didn't have to test my premise that severe turbulence is best experienced without a holster jamming into your groin under multiple G's. I could see how it could also be an issue in a car crash.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I think we that that conversation recently.

Re-holstering is no problem for me , I use a MIC Trigger Guard and it goes on before pistol goes in pants.

User Tag List