Thread: Question about defense ammo testing

Question about defense ammo testing

If you were to want to change to a different defense ammo, how many rounds do you recommend shooting to test for reliable functioning in your pistol before you feel comfortable carrying it?

(assuming that the pistol has already proven itself by shooting 1000 rounds without stoppage)

Question about defense ammo testing

My Beretta and Glock pistols, generally get 50 HST and 50 Ranger Bonded out of the box (First rounds fired). I them follow up with several hundred rounds of assorted ball and defensive (at least a hundred of them being 9bple) in addition... Then i deem them "not unreliable".

I run some through the magazines that I will be using for carry and call it good. I've not been bit by that practice yet.

I also shoot up my carry ammo at least yearly.

I try to buy defense ammo by the case and test 50 rounds, then 3-5 rounds out of each box, and spot check regularly. I'm less worried about the gun than I am about the ammo manufacturer's QA/QC. Many of my department's ammo problems come to light during qualifications when we are burning off old ammo. Some of it's problems that slipped by during ammo testing and sometimes it's a defect that won't come to light until the ammo has been carried for a year. Either way I wouldn't get comfy with my carry/duty ammo.
    <---Hates smart phones and kids on his lawn.

If I switch product numbers, I shoot 200 rds through each gun in service. So switching to a new type is a very expensive, involved process for me, and I don't do it unless I absolutely must. I've been using Fed P9HST2 for at least six years, and keep a good supply on hand (1.5-2K or more for ten 9mm pistols). I typically don't do any deliberate testing when I switch lots, but probably need to start doing that. I shoot up my old carry ammo as practice ammo but need to get more systematic about scheduling that.
    Last edited by oldtexan; 12-26-2014 at 12:05 PM.

User Tag List