Thread: . 40 CAL in 1006?

Site Supporter

. 40 CAL in 1006?

I know we have previously discussed the fact that the Glock 20 makes a good .40 CAL with A conversion barrel. Does anyone such as Barstow Jarvis etc. make a 10 MM to 40 conversion barrel? Has anyone tried this?

I'm eyeballing a Smith 1006 and I have copious amounts of 40 Cal ammo. Could you just drop a 40 round and fire it out of a 10 mm? I know you can do this with Smith 10 MM revolvers. Y'all's thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I know we have previously discussed the fact that the Glock 20 makes a good .40 CAL with A conversion barrel. Does anyone such as Barstow Jarvis etc. make a 10 MM to 40 conversion barrel? Has anyone tried this?

I'm eyeballing a Smith 1006 and I have copious amounts of 40 Cal ammo. Could you just drop a 40 round and fire it out of a 10 mm? I know you can do this with Smith 10 MM revolvers. Y'all's thoughts?
    Don't know but you could probably snag a 4006 for less than the price of the .40 barrel!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

If you buy the 1006, buy it because you want a 10mm. If you like the S&W classics, then I would look for one in the caliber you want.

That said, it should be fine but it may or may not cycle reliably. The .40 might not have enough power to compress the 10mm recoil spring.

Site Supporter
    Ok thanks - I was just curious due to the discussion of this conversion in the Glock 20. I had a Delta Elite in the early 1990's and have ways regretted selling it.

I actually stopped in my LGS to pick up a guitar case for my son (someone traded it in with a rifle) and they had just acquired a very nice adjustable sight 1006 with hogue rubber grips and 4 mags. The trigger is awesome - this May cost me money.
    Last edited by HCM; 12-24-2014 at 10:31 PM.

Based on my 1066/1076 experience, I think Hornady factory 180 or 200 XTP is a good all around load, and the Federal Trophy Bonded 180 is your take on everything tough load.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Unless you can find a conversation barrel at a price that you are willing to pay just buy a dedicated. 40XX version gun.

Since the cartridges used in most automatics head space on the case mouth your 40 S&W round will be floating in a 10mm chamber being held in place against the breach by the extractor. That extractor is going to be taking the force of the firing pin strike, something it wasn't designed to do. This may work for awhile but I would think eventually the extractor will fail. The extractors on S&W 3rd Gen guns aren't drop in parts requiring fitting if you are able to find a replacement.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Based on my 1066/1076 experience, I think Hornady factory 180 or 200 XTP is a good all around load, and the Federal Trophy Bonded 180 is your take on everything tough load.
    My favorite 2 bullets for reloading my 40cal . haven't tried HAP

Back in the '90s you would have been in luck, nowadays it's unpossible, unless you want to pay KKM or a similar maker to build 50 of the barrels you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Back in the '90s you would have been in luck, nowadays it's unpossible, unless you want to pay KKM or a similar maker to build 50 of the barrels you want.
    It's possible to weld up and rechamber. I did it once.

The big issue is mags and slide mass.

And FWIW, I love 4006s.

User Tag List