Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Staging vs consistent pull on a double action revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Probably 95% of the time I do not stage the trigger. I do practice it sometimes though and IMO it is possible to make slower more precision shots that way -- similar to cocking the hammer and shooting in single action mode. Even though some folks seem to be against any shooting in single action I still practice it sometimes. But for the most part I shoot double action and pull straight through without staging the trigger.

^ ^ ^ This.

I shoot a majority single action. I can shoot DA OK (have managed to bang the 300 yard plate DA, but is much harder to do than SA), but most of my shooting practice is at distance, and one handed for much or most of it with revolvers. If I'm not in a hurry and want some degree of precision, I shoot SA.

And this,

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    I think it does us all a disservice to view everything shooting related from a defensive point of view.
    Much of my revolver shooting is single action because I shoot single action revolvers a lot. I shoot mostly because I enjoy it. I try to be "practical" to some degree, and am interested in learning more practical stuff, but try to learn about a wide variety of skills and much of it field related. Some is just for fun, not much practical to some of it I suppose.
    Last edited by Malamute; 12-24-2014 at 01:18 PM.

I usually pull straight through without staging. I very seldom shoot SA.

When I do stage the trigger I pull straight through until I feel the cylinder lock up and the locking bolt has engaged the notch in the cylinder. Then I finish the trigger pull with a little more finesse.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    I think it does us all a disservice to view everything shooting related from a defensive point of view.
    I'll tip a bottle to that! Merry Christmas.

I have tried both and settled on pulling straight through.

Site Supporter
    I found that staging the trigger worked best with colt revolvers cause they had a stack up in the action. I never could stage a smith revolver with a lot of success. For me the best smith revolver for a straight pull on the trigger was the n frame. There's something about getting that big cylinder turning then focus on the sights works well for me. For me in my country environment sa is important in those long shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stagging a trigger is just another tool in the box, and it works very well (it does for me) if you master it. You can stage in an almos fluid movement, or be very deliberate.
    Of course, for fast DA shooting I don't stage the trigger.

Don't just take my word for it:

http://www.shootingusa.com/PRO_TIPS/.../miculek4.html

"The next method of shooting a revolver is called staging a trigger and what that entails is that you grab the revolver in a standard firing mode, but you work your trigger really quick to the rear and that will index the cylinder fully and it will cock the hammer about three quarter of the way and with the last of the trigger pull, get a perfect sight of a alignment, and you press the trigger straight to the rear. This technique is really good on a hard shot or a long range target. It takes up about three quarters of the trigger pull and all you have to do is finish it off and make a real accurate shot."

Also in the famous video of Miculek's 1000 yds off shot with a revolver, he very clearly deliberately stages the trigger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ3XwizTqDw

It's hard to argue with most anything Jerry says when comes to shooting, regardless of the gun.

I appreciate all the comments and experiences, even the anecdotal stuff. I was really hoping dome of the advocates of a consistent pull could post some groups or relay information about precision shooting at 25 yards or better. I neglected to include that in the original post.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Oh I missed this thread.

So, staging the trigger for me seems to be gun dependent. A worked over Smith will often be smooth enough for me, that I end up stroking it back missing the staging point. Which, if I am deliberately trying to do it, ruins my shot. A stacking Colt on the other hand is much easier to stage. I can get it back to the break point and release it at the moment I want it to. Subsequently, I can make really nice 25 yard shots with a short barrel Colt.

That said, the gun I work the most on staging is actually my 642. It takes work, but I can stage the stock trigger on my 642 nicely. And I think it's a great tool for long shots with a little snub. I have great confidence in making high percentage shots with a 642. That said, when working on a more dynamic range, it's usually straight back pull-through. If I have the time I will go for the technique that will give me the best accuracy, but if I don't have the time, go with the faster pull.

As mentioned in the other thread, I don't really recommend/use staging unless I'm shooting precision shots with no time pressure. For example, if I'm shooting groups with a DAO revolver I'll stage the trigger to get the most out of it that I can.

What I've found though is that staging is a lot like point shooting in a way. If I practice sighted fire, I don't need to practice point shooting because I'll have all the fundamentals down for times when point shooting might be appropriate. If I practice manipulating my revo triggers by pulling the trigger as fast as I can without disturbing my sight picture, I won't need to practice staging the trigger if I do use it.

Interestingly, the gun I'm most likely to stage the trigger while shooting is my j-frame. You'll almost never see me stage the trigger I a large frame revolver, but that's because the triggers on those guns are pretty good; I don't see a lot of point in staging a gun with a 7 pound DAO trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    As mentioned in the other thread, I don't really recommend/use staging unless I'm shooting precision shots with no time pressure. For example, if I'm shooting groups with a DAO revolver I'll stage the trigger to get the most out of it that I can.

What I've found though is that staging is a lot like point shooting in a way. If I practice sighted fire, I don't need to practice point shooting because I'll have all the fundamentals down for times when point shooting might be appropriate. If I practice manipulating my revo triggers by pulling the trigger as fast as I can without disturbing my sight picture, I won't need to practice staging the trigger if I do use it.

Interestingly, the gun I'm most likely to stage the trigger while shooting is my j-frame. You'll almost never see me stage the trigger I a large frame revolver, but that's because the triggers on those guns are pretty good; I don't see a lot of point in staging a gun with a 7 pound DAO trigger.
    Interesting analogy comparing point shooting and sighted fire. I think it's off base simply because many good revolver shooters do stage the trigger, whereas point shooting is not considered a high level skill unless one is shooting from retention.

I don't think that any of my revolvers are down to 7 pounds DAO with the possible exception of my 686, which is due for a spring replacement and spa treatment so that probably doesn't count. Is the j-frame that light? Why do you think you catch yourself staging the trigger on your j-frame more than the larger guns? Is it trigger weight alone or are there other, identifiable factors?
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

User Tag List