Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Front sight paint??

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My friend, VCD's "Hot Tamale" is what got me to Walmart, where I ultimately found "Traffic Cone" orange. You gotstobe a confident dude to walk up to the Walmart person and ask for "Hot Tamale" nail polish, and when she asks if it is for your wife, say "no."
    I got some slight hesitation from the two wal mart girls that were helping me find a color I liked. When I expained it was for pistol sights, they seemed to get into the search.

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JJN View Post
    +1 on fingernail polish. You can get some really gaudy colors, and a a lot of them have metallic sheen or glitter.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycnoob View Post
    Are you having luck with the metallic ones or the glitter?
    I'm also curious what people have found with the metallic/glitter polishes. I've only ever used neon colors, but have definitely pondered whether the extra shine from the metallic/glitter polishes would be helpful or harmful.
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

I've seen people in the thread experiencing issues with the paint holding up. Would a white base coat alleviate this? Amazon has a neon orange and white testers available individually.

The white base coat just helps the finish color to be brighter.

The holding up issue was the reason I went with nail polish rather than paint. I think nail polish is harder/tougher than paint in general.

Testors florescent orange over white base. Holds up real well.

God Bless,
    David

Coat of flat white Testor's, followed by two light coats of a fluorescent orange airbrush paint (Createx) that I stumbled across in a Michael's craft store. It's proven more durable than any other I've tried, so far.

I think the metallic nail polish is the way to go myself. Over a white base coat it really pops even in overcast light. By using this with a totally blacked out rear sight I can clean our advanced Q course using my everyday glasses even though I can't get a focus on the front sight with out dedicated shooting glasses. It's hell to get old.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Maybe she has better eyesight at that spot also.

Should look round from straight behind it though,....shouldnt it?
    Her eyesight is no doubt better, as tested. And I always thought it looked round looking through the sights, until she pointed out the ever so slight imperfection... now I can't unsee it (although I still dont notice it on the instances installed on various Glocks)

A friend of mine has gotten into Duracoating guns for people. Recently he found, after doing a snub for a bud, that clear coat over the orange front sight paint makes it hold up much more gooder.

I might have to experiment with that idea.

"Torrid Orange" by Americana. I lightly scuffed the front sight with sandpaper and applied a coat of white self etching primer which helps the primer adhere to the metal better than regular primer. Then I put 3 coats of orange, one coat per night with 24 hours to dry between applications, and after it was good and dry, I took a razor blade and cut out around the tritium vial. A year later and no touch ups have been needed. This picture is right after trimming around the tritium last January or so.

User Tag List