Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1911 For Competition: Advice Solicited: NHC Talon II 4.25" vs SIG GSR XO 5"

I've considered going to a flatwire recoil spring, but have held off. They simply don't offer much of a cost benefit to me, and I believe necessitate going to a full-length recoil spring guide, which is not my preference.
    The flatwire spring does not require a full length guide rod. Sounds like you've got it all pretty well sorted out. Good luck in the coming season.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    The flatwire spring does not require a full length guide rod. Sounds like you've got it all pretty well sorted out. Good luck in the coming season.
    Trooper224, school me on this-the two flatwire systems that I'm aware of are Wilson Combat's and Nighthawk's Everlast. Both are showing a full-length guide rod operating through a pierced recoil spring plug. Further complicating the issue somewhat is that the Wilson unit is for a 4" (presumably bushingless/bull barrel, as that's the configuration Wilson compacts are in), and mine is a 4.25" bushing barrel...

Both systems, including spring, guide rod and plug run about $60, whereas a conventional round music wire spring run $7-$8; I've also heard anecdotally that while the flatwire systems do indeed last longer than the round music wire springs, their real world replacement interval is well before the touted 15K round supposed lifespan.

Am I missing other options/information that could be pertinent?

Best, Jon

I'm using the flatwire set up in a 5" Wilson. GI length rod, regular plug. At first the slide seemed to cycle slower. Now I don't notice it any more.

From my Motorola StarTAC.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Trooper224, school me on this-the two flatwire systems that I'm aware of are Wilson Combat's and Nighthawk's Everlast.
    http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Flat-Wir...oductinfo/614/

I used 18.5 pound spings for years because popular wisdom told me I should. I eventually went back to a standard 16 pound spring as I found reacquisition of the sights to be faster. The 17 pound flatwire spring seems to have a smoother recoil impulse than either one. I can't comment on the durability issue as I have yet to wear one out, so I can't speak to that..
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

We are diminished
    I'm seriously considering devoting a significant portion of my platform time commitment this year to my 1911s.
    So, like, for the next week?

Here's my basic question: Is there any/significant advantage to be derived from concentrating on either gun? Conversely, are there any significant disadvantages in concentrating on the Combat Commander type 4.25" over the 5" Government length?
    I don't believe so personally. I've never found a significant improvement in accuracy out of the longer sight radius guns -- especially in terms of the distances at which you'll be engaging targets in IDPA -- and generally prefer the faster cycling, flatter muzzle flip, and more nimble handling of medium-length guns. Plenty of others find the longer guns are more accurate for them but I've won more than one walkback drill with ~4" barreled guns against folks with GM 1911s or G34s.

One area where the longer barrels do shine (and a big reason a lot of competitive shooters prefer them) is that if you're hand loading you can get away with less powder charge and still make power factor. In your case that isn't an issue since you'll be shooting factory ammo.

Really the only way to figure out which works best for you is to compare them. Something like the IDPA Classifier is, as you've planned, a great way to shake out what does and doesn't work for you. Just beware of outliers in your performance. If you sneeze in the middle of Stage 1, String 1 with gun-x obviously you cannot compare the overall scores directly. Try to get the most realistic numbers out of the data that you can instead of relying on broad results. And also obviously, be aware of what you see & feel as you're shooting in terms of how hard you're having to work and how close to the edge you're running.

If you're finding the VCD grips beneficial (and I certainly do), I'd strongly suggest using them on both guns to get a fair comparison.

2015, smartass-although I have to admit that I walked into that one-well played, Ye king of orange!

The VCDs ARE are performance boon-I've already experienced that with the SIG. While to date I've been pleased with the VZ Gatorbacks on the NHC, you're suggestion is certainly valid; I'll have to experiment with a set of VCD's for it-I see a call into David in my future...

My only qualm with the VCDs is that they really chew up clothing, as you've noticed as well. While that's not an issue in competition due to the hardier fabric jackets/vests/concealment garnments, it is an issue for regular concealed carry. Wives/Exchequers of the Family Budget have been know to take a somewhat dim view of expensive sweaters (a staple of seasonal concealment) being chewed up by one's gun...

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    I'm using the flatwire set up in a 5" Wilson. GI length rod, regular plug. At first the slide seemed to cycle slower. Now I don't notice it any more.

From my Motorola StarTAC.
    Yep, you're absolutely right-Wilson does, one their Government/5" offer a GI set-up-thanks (but of course they're currently out of stock...). However, both Wilson and Nighthawk's offerings for the Commander-size guns involve a full-length guiderod and a pierced plug-and, given the relatively short spring longevity to date on my NHC Talon II of 800 rounds per replacement interval, it would be the best potential beneficiary of a flatwire set-up; however, I'm reluctant to sacrifice the GI guide, and the cost-to-benefit ratio still seems disparate.

Best, Jon

The VCDs ARE are performance boon-I've already experienced that with the SIG. While to date I've been pleased with the VZ Gatorbacks on the NHC, you're suggestion is certainly valid; I'll have to experiment with a set of VCD's for it-I see a call into David in my future...
    Call soon. They are on sale through today, Christmas Eve.

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...r-Monday-deals
    VCD Grips is having its annual Holiday event- 10.00 Off reg prices for all tapered grips (reg price is 45.00 shipped).
    Now thru Xmas Eve. They ring out at the regular price and a 10.00 refund is given within 24 hours.

Blessings to you and yours,

David Barnes
    www.vcdgrips.com

Yep-I'd received David's email about it earlier, too. Just ordered a set of brown tapereds for the NHC-the brown will somewhat correspond to the semi-retro theme I've got going with it. I'll use the OEM VZ set as necessary for clothing/marital preservation, and the VCDs with heavier fabrics and competition. They do provide a perceptible, quantifiable performance increase. Thanks for the recommendation, Todd and JTQ.

Best, Jon

I carry a LWC .45 or .38S and practice with a steel 9x19 5". I find that it translates very well and saves me drama.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List