Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Eotech EXPS3-0 + G33 Magnifier

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Just curious, what models?
    Started with whatever the early N battery model was, then several of the 552s, those were the ones I owned. Our team bought 552s, over half of those crapped the bed. One of the guys bought one of the sideways 123 battery style sights (no idea which model#) and it died inside of a year.
    Last edited by Chuck Haggard; 01-23-2015 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    My agency is just beginning to transition from the EO tech 552 to the aim point H-1. Having been responsible for several dozen EO techs, my experience with the durability and reliability of the EO Tech 552's mirrors that of Chuck Haggard, Wayne and Nyeti. If you look through Kyle defoor's postings, you will find some tips and tricks for keeping your EO Tech going including covering rails with aluminum foil for secure mounting and using crazy glue to fix the springs and spring cups in the end of the battery box. These work but if I need aluminum foil and crazy glue to keep my optic functioning it may be a clue I need to look for a better solution.

In fairness, we purchased a small number of XPS for our SRT team prior to the aim point contract and they seem to hold up better than the dual battery models.

In my experience I shoot similar times with both the aim point and the EO tech reticles. Even with the 4MOA dot I seem to shoot better at longer distances (100 yards and beyond)with the aim point versus the EO tech.

Another thing to consider is your intended use for the rifle and optic. If you are executing pre-planned operations you have time to check your batteries and turn your sight on ahead of time. For a reactive/defensive application taking time to turn your sight on is one more thing to remember under stress, If I were pushing a black-and-white or needed a rifle for home defense I would want something that I can turn on and leave on so I can "grab and go ".

Sean M would be the best source of info regarding the SCAR Mk17 and optics. However, my recollection was the SCAR Mk17 was noted as and EO tech killer.
    I would be curious as well to hear his experiences. It seems that the Eotech is a very divisive optic. Almost like discussing religion. That said, it's the only optic I know of that is a RDS, that I can magnify without getting a smear of a dot. My T1 2 MOA that I have smears, doubling in size, and looks like a comma. Additionally, the blue tint of the Aimpoint kills light transmission in dusk/dawn (hunting) situations and makes it seem twice as dark out. To my eyes, anyway (20/10, maybe a touch of astigmatism, maybe?)

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Stared with whatever the early N battery model was, then several of the 552s, those were the ones I owned. Our team bought 552s, over half of those crapped the bed. One of the guys bought one of the sideways 123 battery style sights (no idea which model#) and it died inside of a year.
    Do you know what died on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Do you know what died on it?
    On one the lens cracked and let moisture in while I was down at TEES doing a hostage rescue class, fogged up the unit, then it died completely, ran the rest of the course with BUISs. Mississippi is a bit humid in the summer I guess. The others were mostly battery contact issues that were never resolved by us or the factory after repeated attempts, a few others were the internals dying.

Site Supporter
    Everything has its strengths and weaknesses. The reticle is one of the strengths of the EO Tech. Some people like using the 6 o'clock hash mark as in aiming point instead of the dot at close distance 7 yards/inside rooms to compensate for offset. The nine and 3 o'clock hash marks can also be useful leading moving targets. However, the biggest plus for the EO Tech seems to be it shows up better for people with astigmatism or who have had certain types of laser eye surgery.

My aging eyes are no longer 20/20 but I see the aim point dot just fine. For those with issues there are a few workarounds that can help see the.more clearly. One is to flip up a co witnessed rear Peepsight and look at the dot through the aperture. This seems to clean up the dot for some people. Another technique is to look through the sight so the.appears near the lower edge of the site body. This also helps clean up the dot for some people. Wayne and and Nyeti may have some other suggestions.

I've only noticed the tinted lenses on the mini aim points . The 30 mm versions appear quite clear to me and I believe the tint was one of the things addressed on the new T2.

Another option for people with astigmatism are prismatic sights.

Site Supporter
    One issue we've noticed with the 552s has been corrosion in the battery compartment. We have brought a few sights back to life by cleaning the corrosion off the contacts with a pencil eraser.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Everything has its strengths and weaknesses. The reticle is one of the strengths of the EO Tech. Some people like using the 6 o'clock hash mark as in aiming point instead of the dot at close distance 7 yards/inside rooms to compensate for offset. The nine and 3 o'clock hash marks can also be useful leading moving targets. However, the biggest plus for the EO Tech seems to be it shows up better for people with astigmatism or who have had certain types of laser eye surgery.

My aging eyes are no longer 20/20 but I see the aim point dot just fine. For those with issues there are a few workarounds that can help see the.more clearly. One is to flip up a co witnessed rear Peepsight and look at the dot through the aperture. This seems to clean up the dot for some people. Another technique is to look through the sight so the.appears near the lower edge of the site body. This also helps clean up the dot for some people. Wayne and and Nyeti may have some other suggestions.

I've only noticed the tinted lenses on the mini aim points . The 30 mm versions appear quite clear to me and I believe the tint was one of the things addressed on the new T2.

Another option for people with astigmatism are prismatic sights.
    The T1 is fine for me until I magnify it. Then the obnoxious tint and "blob" of a dot happen.

I did find this in a review of the T1 vs. T2. T1 top, T2 bottom. Through magnifier.

When I look at a T1 through my magnifier, I see what that guy's camera sees, except mine is bleeding to the bottom left. It makes me wonder...maybe I could run a T2 in front of my Eotech magnifier...save weight, increase durability, and clarity seems much less...blue. I can do the Aimpoint dot just fine, don't have a huge affinity for the EO reticle. Just love the clear glass and crisp dot.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 12-23-2014 at 12:37 PM.

Well, my first hard use EXPS model is headed back to L3 shortly. I'm not sure what's wrong with it, but when I bought it, it was fine, and then I loaned it to a friend who used it to hold his rifle down which propped up a wall in his apartment for a half year or so. Anyway, somewhere along that abusive hard-knock timeframe, it developed an issue where the reticle looks funky in certain sections of the glass in a circle around the center. Dimmer.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95bcKWlg0MM

I know it had has had a rough life holding that rifle down and all, but I'm a bit bummed. I don't think he ever fired the rifle with it attached. I didn't, either. Loaned it pretty soon after I got it.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I don't think the EOTech v. Aimpoint "debate" is really all that divisive or controversial, personally. I just see it more as those who have watched EOTechs die vs. those who haven't seen it. Yet. The police departments in my area were all hot and bothered about the EOTechs for a while...then after a couple of years of finding dead batteries and broken optics on rifles that weren't really shot beyond qualifying they ditched them and bought Aimpoints.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I happened to read this Defoor piece, because of another thread. It would appear he uses the XPS, would be interesting to know more:

http://kyledefoor.tumblr.com/page/3
    Defoor told me and a class full of students that while deployed in the field, he changed his Eotech batteries every day.
    #RESIST

User Tag List