Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eotech EXPS3-0 + G33 Magnifier

Eotech EXPS3-0 + G33 Magnifier

I have been searching for a unicorn for some time, now. A "do it all" optic. While everyone knows such a creature does not exist, I think I have come very close.

The good:

The Eotech is the fastest CQB optic I know of. It is a pure "assaulter" optic, and that's what you will see on the guns of those who assault. SEAL teams, SWAT officers, etc. I chose this optic because I do not leave a round in my M4. I leave it cruiser ready. If I can rack a charging handle, I can press a button to turn it on. The Aimpoint is the natural competitor of the Eotech, which is why I raise this. Further, you will likely have to adjust the Aimpoint or Eotech regardless, depending on ambient light, etc.

The Eotech has "clear" glass without a "tint". At night through the magnifier, this is VERY nice. Aimpoint isn't in the same ballpark, here.

It is ALL about gross-motor skills. There is no tiny ring, and there is no switch. You knock the magnifier out of the way---and that mount is SOLID. No flop, no rattle, and it is a very very decisive thing to move it from one position to the other.

The system is "adaptable", for example, if I am out hunting or whatnot, I can run the magnifier. If I have it by my bed, I can take the magnifier off and shed weight.

The bad:

It is heavy, about like a quality 1-6X optic + mount, with the magnifier in place.

It is expensive. Mine cost around $1,000 for the combo (or roughly 1/2 what a 6X optic runs...)

it only goes to 3X (for my environment, this is PLENTY. When I move, it will be MORE than plenty).

The Neutral:

Eye relief is decent. FAR better than a TA31 ACOG, but not quite as good as some of the best 1-6X optics.

The eyebox is decent. Again, not bad, but not great, either. I found it more tricky than the 1-6X scopes on 1X, but did not really mess with them on 3X, either, so it's hard to directly compare, but I wager it would perform about like a mid-grade 1-6X on 3X. Say, a Vortex, etc.

Over-all, I feel that the Eotech is one of the best RDS type optics available, and the G33 magnifier really gives it the legs someone might want for a 2-300 yard shot, or better PID, without breaking the bank, and without adding "mandatory" (you can't just cut the weight of a K16i in half when you turn it to 1X) weight or reducing 1X performance.

Forgive my ghetto "test platform", but my M4 doesn't need to be waggled around my neighborhood...Also, the reticle is centered when mounted on my rifle. Further, if it is NOT, you can adjust the position of the reticle in the magnifier via controls on the magnifier. This does NOT affect zero.

The balcony is at approximately 125m.

Looks good dude.

Check out the specterDR 1-4. I think it's my favorite now. You can run just a 6MOA red dot over the reticle at 1x. It's big and bulky though.

My problem with the EO Techs is that I keep killing them. Three personally owned sights so far in two different models, and another that was issued. Half the sights issued on my team were dead in under 2 years.

I got on the timer at the range and noted zero difference in first shot hits at the 7, 10, 25 and 50 yard lines between the EO and the Aimpoint sights.

That said, if it works for you, party on.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    My problem with the EO Techs is that I keep killing them. Three personally owned sights so far in two different models, and another that was issued. Half the sights issued on my team were dead in under 2 years.

I got on the timer at the range and noted zero difference in first shot hits at the 7, 10, 25 and 50 yard lines between the EO and the Aimpoint sights.

To steal Nyeti's quote on EOTurds: "An EO is an aquarium for your iron sights". Buy an Aimpoint PRO (which I've named "The EOTurd Killer") and quit worrying...
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

You will find that a bunch of those "assaulters" are less than thrilled with them when exposed to long term hard use. As long as you are happy.

Also regarding the "gross motor skills" and just knock it out of the way............have you ever actually run one in the field for any long period of time to form the opinion that having to something to move the sight out of the way may be a better bet? I use the laRue that requires a rearward pull for a reason.......and have used it in the field, and in aerial gunnery work to base my opinion on.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post

Just curious, what models?

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    You will find that a bunch of those "assaulters" are less than thrilled with them when exposed to long term hard use. As long as you are happy.

Also regarding the "gross motor skills" and just knock it out of the way............have you ever actually run one in the field for any long period of time to form the opinion that having to something to move the sight out of the way may be a better bet? I use the laRue that requires a rearward pull for a reason.......and have used it in the field, and in aerial gunnery work to base my opinion on.
    Interesting. Everyone I have talked to liked them and was using years old 512s. In fact it was the exps that was the onky survivng rds type optic when tested on the mk17, iirc?, this is my first experience with the sts mounted magnifier. What issue did you have?

I happened to read this Defoor piece, because of another thread. It would appear he uses the XPS, would be interesting to know more:

http://kyledefoor.tumblr.com/page/3
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I happened to read this Defoor piece, because of another thread. It would appear he uses the XPS, would be interesting to know more:

http://kyledefoor.tumblr.com/page/3
    For whatever reason (he didnt specify) he had to send his back to eotech... I know he still recommends them but exspresses disappointment in the durability department.

Site Supporter
    My agency is just beginning to transition from the EO tech 552 to the aim point H-1. Having been responsible for several dozen EO techs, my experience with the durability and reliability of the EO Tech 552's mirrors that of Chuck Haggard, Wayne and Nyeti. If you look through Kyle defoor's postings, you will find some tips and tricks for keeping your EO Tech going including covering rails with aluminum foil for secure mounting and using crazy glue to fix the springs and spring cups in the end of the battery box. These work but if I need aluminum foil and crazy glue to keep my optic functioning it may be a clue I need to look for a better solution.

In fairness, we purchased a small number of XPS for our SRT team prior to the aim point contract and they seem to hold up better than the dual battery models.

In my experience I shoot similar times with both the aim point and the EO tech reticles. Even with the 4MOA dot I seem to shoot better at longer distances (100 yards and beyond)with the aim point versus the EO tech.

Another thing to consider is your intended use for the rifle and optic. If you are executing pre-planned operations you have time to check your batteries and turn your sight on ahead of time. For a reactive/defensive application taking time to turn your sight on is one more thing to remember under stress, If I were pushing a black-and-white or needed a rifle for home defense I would want something that I can turn on and leave on so I can "grab and go ".

Sean M would be the best source of info regarding the SCAR Mk17 and optics. However, my recollection was the SCAR Mk17 was noted as and EO tech killer.

User Tag List